Windows 10: access to win10 pc from win7 pcs on lan

Discus and support access to win10 pc from win7 pcs on lan in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A LAN has two win7pro pcs, a new win10Home laptop (replacing an older machine) and other laptops. The two win7pro pcs and the new win10 laptop form a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pzbrawl, Jan 3, 2016.

1. pzbrawl Win User

access to win10 pc from win7 pcs on lan

A LAN has two win7pro pcs, a new win10Home laptop (replacing an older machine) and other laptops. The two win7pro pcs and the new win10 laptop form a development system for database/app/webapp software, and must be able to create & write files to most any folder on any of the three machines, anytime.

Essentially, we must be able to treat these three machines as if they were just one machine with several drives run by multiple instances of an admin user. That's how we work.

I can hear the corporate intakes of breath. For this request, lose that mindset: we're a family, not a corporation.

When the win10 laptop was configured and introduced to the network a few weeks ago, we managed to persuade it---against its corporate wishes---to allow such access without authentication requests.

Now, the win10 instance has updated itself, and since then, both win7 pcs encounter username & password requests on attempting to access the win10 laptop's drive c:. That stops us cold.

Worse, when the username & password are entered, we meet a further Orwellian requirement for a password for the drive on win7 machine from which the request was made!

How do we defeat these ludicrous requirements?

:)

pzbrawl, Jan 3, 2016
  2. Mallette Win User

Windows 10 "This computer cannot join/create a homegroup:

Limited progress. Able to map and open drives from the Win7 PC on the Win10, but the Win7 PC cannot access the shared drives on the Win10 unit. The Win10 unit is set to the same settings as the Win7 giving shared drive users full control, etc.

Dave

access to win10 pc from win7 pcs on lan [​IMG]

Mallette, Jan 3, 2016
  3. Access to shares using account Admin instead Administrator does not work with Windows 10

Hello,

yesterday I upgraded my PC from Win7 to Win10.

Under Win7 I set up an additional user account named "admin" which is member of the user group "Administrators". The predefined account "Administrator" is disabled. These accounts (and the other normal user accounts) are also available in Win10 now.

The same conditions regarding the user accounts "admin" and "Administrator" are existing on another PC still running Win7. On this PC I set up some shares which can be accessed by all users for reading very easy because the passwords for the accounts are
    the same on each PC.

What now happens (or better to say not happens) is the following:

A normal user on the Win10 PC can access the shares on the Win7 PC without any problems. The user "admin" can not access. The error message tells me, that the account is not enabled.

When I enabled the account "Administrator" on the Win7 PC it works. It seems, that Win10 uses the wrong credentials to connect to the share.

The PC's are members of a work group.

If someone could help I would be grateful.

Horst-Günter, Jan 3, 2016
  4. pzbrawl Win User

You might think Microsoft would respect user settings. No such luck.

In the new win10 laptop I'd turned off password protected sharing in "Network and Select Properties". The Windows 10 update turned it back on!

So to fix this:

Right click on Network and select Properties.
    Click on Change advanced sharing settings at left.
    Click the down arrow next to All Networks at the bottom.
    Select Turn off password protected sharing.
    Click the Save changes button.

Thank you Microsoft. Not.

pzbrawl, Jan 3, 2016
Thema:

1. access to win10 pc from win7 pcs on lan - Similar Threads - access win10 win7

2. Win7 on Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win7 on Win10?: Hey, When i boot up my windows 10 machine i get a classic windows 7 start up menu i believe it is when i made a win7 bootable but now i have this permanently. i went so far as to reset my pc nothing works. Please help! Link to video of what happens:...
  3. Wiping Win10 PC that was upgraded from win7 free

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wiping Win10 PC that was upgraded from win7 free: So, I'm selling my custom build PC of 3 years, and I just want to make sure I do this right. I originally bought a win7 pro key (not sure what kind) and installed windows 7 with that and then upgraded to windows 10 via the free upgrade. I want to wipe the PC now. Will the...
  4. W10 Home PCs seeing only Win7 Pro & W10 Pro PCs on LAN, Not Home vers.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 Home PCs seeing only Win7 Pro & W10 Pro PCs on LAN, Not Home vers.: I have a small Workgroup LAN (Ethernet) with one remaining Win 7 Pro PC (I would like to phase out), 2 - Win 10 Pro PCs, and a few Win 10 Home addition PCs. What I have noticed lately is when viewing the Network from the Win 7 Pro PC, ALL of the PCs in the network are...
  5. upgrading from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  6. Accessing files on Workgroup on Win10 PCs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing files on Workgroup on Win10 PCs: This was simple with Homegroups!!! Now, I am trying to access folders on three machines (on Dell, two Surfaces all running Win10). I have set up the advanced sharing settings to share all and not require a password. All 3 C: drives are selected for sharing. I have been all...
  7. Moving from win7/old pc to win10/new pc

Moving from win7/old pc to win10/new pc: I have a newly built pc on which I will install Win 10. My old pc has Win 7 installed. I plan to have the new pc boot UEFI. The old pc is legacy boot (non-UEFI). Q1. Will I be able to just put the old HDDs in the new pc as storage and transfer files (photos, music,...
  8. transfer emails and favorites from win7 pc to new win10 pc?

in Browsers and Email
    transfer emails and favorites from win7 pc to new win10 pc?: I need to transfer saved emails and all favorites from a win7 pc to a new win10 pc. How do I do that, using a usb drive? Thanks 20831
  9. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716
  10. Win10 creates BOGUS message when accessing PC on LAN

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 creates BOGUS message when accessing PC on LAN: FYI: I have found that, after a TRUE re-boot (not Hibernate), when I try to access another PC via my wired LAN via explorer, I get this BOGUS message window: Windows cannot access xxx It is BOGUS because one of my own programs also accesses a file across the LAN...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lan win10 and win7 group

2. win10 administrator on lan pc

3. win10 pc to pc lan