Windows 10: Access User Files on Other Computer

Discus and support Access User Files on Other Computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, I just upgraded my PC case and after putting everything together, I booted the PC. Instead of booting into Windows 10, I received the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Daniel Jakob, May 19, 2016.

1. Access User Files on Other Computer

Hello all,

I just upgraded my PC case and after putting everything together, I booted the PC. Instead of booting into Windows 10, I received the 0xc000000e error saying the winload.exe was missing or corrupt. Using start up repair and resetting the PC all failed. I'm going to try an rebuild the BCD later tonight.

However, my question is this: there is a file on that drive that i do not want to lose and I want to make sure I recover it. I pulled the drive and attached to my other PC via USB. The drive is accessible, but my User folder is not there. Is this some type of encryption associated with my Microsoft account login that prevents me from accessing it, or can I just take ownership of the drive and my User folder will reappear?

Thank you for your response.

Daniel

:)

Daniel Jakob, May 19, 2016
  2. Rohn007 Win User

Public Folders

Public folders on your computer only come into play if you are sharing the computer with other users. In that case, any files saved in the "public" folders can be accessed by any user on the computer.

Any files stored in your personal profile, ie documents, folders are protected from (easy) access by other users on the computer. That is in theory. In practice, anyone with physical access to the computer and a little knowledge can access all unencrypted files
    on the computer.

Yes, you can lock down the public folders, but there is no real benefit to doing this extra work.

Rohn007, May 19, 2016
  3. cannot access local user accounts

In my desktop computer (windows 7) there were 1 administrator account and two user accounts. All 3 were local user accounts. Every user account had read access to the shared files of the other two accounts. The administrator account had read and write access
    to the other two user accounts. There are two more laptops (with one administrator account each) in the house network, and every one of the three computers had access to each others' shared files.

I chose not to install updates during the upgrade, and otherwise I just followed the instructions on the screen. Now the shared files are shown in "network" but they are not accessible. The popup window says: "windows cannot access \\computername\C\users\accountname.
    Contact your network administrator to request access". This happens not only between the user accounts of the desktop computer but also between the desktop computer and the other two laptops.

Can this problem be solved?

Thanks again.

kostaspikoulas, May 19, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Access User Files on Other Computer

Depending on how far along resetting this PC got before failing, it probably erased the user profiles on the drive as that is what resetting this PC means. Reset to factory condition, which means no user profiles.

NavyLCDR, May 19, 2016
  5. I did tell to keep the files, but any apps would be deleted. I probably should have mentioned that. I was hoping your comment would not be the case regardless.

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    It sounds like you have a hard drive failure or, at a minimum, a very messed up file system. If the file is vitally important, I would take the hard drive to a data recovery professional. You can try running chkdsk on it, but that might end up erasing all traces of the file in the MFT (Master File Table).

Normally when you connect a hard drive to another Windows computer you can see the user folders on it, you just can't access them until you provide administrator rights.

NavyLCDR, May 19, 2016
  7. I will try providing admin rights and see if that works. Otherwise I'll just have to reinstall Windows 10. I ended up finding an older copy of the file on my server, so it's not a total loss. I will have to redo several hours of work though. Bummer.

By the way, your user name indicates you are in the Navy. Thank you for your service to our Country, and for your help on this!

8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, May 19, 2016
  9. Thank you, I'll check out that software. Enjoy your retirement!

Daniel Jakob, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Access User Files on Other Computer - Similar Threads - Access User Files

2. Unable to access other user profiles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access other user profiles: My PC should have 2 accounts, mine and my fathersadministrator account but when logging in recently only mine has been showing up. After noticing i checked the user profiles/ family accounts tab in settings and only my account showed up. Even after re-adding his account to...
  3. Unable to access other user profiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access other user profiles: My PC should have 2 accounts, mine and my fathersadministrator account but when logging in recently only mine has been showing up. After noticing i checked the user profiles/ family accounts tab in settings and only my account showed up. Even after re-adding his account to...
  4. Unable to access other user profiles

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  5. Need to Access other Computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need to Access other Computers: Hello, I have 3 computers in my home and I sometimes need to see things on the other computers but when I try to connect using File Explorer I am asked for a password. I don't recall being asked for a password that would be used to enter any of my computers and if I were...
  6. Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done

in Windows 10 Customization
    Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done: Is there any way to block a user from accessing the files of the main account in Win10?I have gone to security to find the other user's account to block, but I can't find it. Have tried adding it, but no where to be found.thanks...
  7. Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done: Is there any way to block a user from accessing the files of the main account in Win10?I have gone to security to find the other user's account to block, but I can't find it. Have tried adding it, but no where to be found.thanks...
  8. Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. App not visible/accessible for other users

in Windows 10 Customization
    App not visible/accessible for other users: Hi - I installed Zoom app as an admin on Windows 10. Shouldnt this be accessible by all users on this laptop? I installed this for kids standard users to attend classes. However, when they login using their Logon/credentials, they dont see this app. Any solution to this?...
  10. Can't access files on other network computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access files on other network computers: I have four computers all attached to my home network. Until recently, I had been able to access documents across all my computers while attched to the home network. That has all disappeared. I can't even find the computers when I select Network in Windows Explorer. The...