Windows 10: Accessing administrative shares

Discus and support Accessing administrative shares in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a networked Windows 10 Pro computer A with built-in 'Administrator' account disabled. However, it has a "normal" administrator account named... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AndreyT, Feb 4, 2016.

1. AndreyT Win User

Accessing administrative shares

I have a networked Windows 10 Pro computer A with built-in 'Administrator' account disabled. However, it has a "normal" administrator account named 'Admin'.

I would like to access administrative share '\\A\C$' from another computer B in the network. Windows asks me for access credentials. I enter 'Admin' and the corresponding password. This results in "access denied" error.

Hence the question: What's preventing the access?

My guesses are

1. (Unlikely: ) Administrative shares are accessible to the built-in 'Administrator' only.
    2. (More likely: ) Administrative shares are accessible to a designated set of users and there's a way to control it. My homemade 'Admin' is not on the list.
    3. (Most likely: ) Network access to administrative shares is completely disabled by default in Windows 10, but can be enabled somehow.
    4. Something else?

:)

AndreyT, Feb 4, 2016
  2. Cybot Win User

network default administrative shares not being generated for CD/DVD drive

i tested the issue on both systems, and it occurs with and without any disc in the drive. my system just updated to 15063.540 and issue is still present

Cybot, Feb 4, 2016
  3. Cybot Win User
    network default administrative shares not being generated for CD/DVD drive

just tested another system that was also running Windows 10 Pro (same build and update version) but no VM present or used, and it suffers from the same issue. the CD/DVD drive is not having the ADMIN shares generated by the server service.

Cybot, Feb 4, 2016
  4. Accessing administrative shares

Type the name of the computer you want to access and then the user name as shown here: a\admin
    The example you showed above was only admin and the password. Computer "A" thinks the admin user from computer "B" is trying to connect. Hope this helps...

play2mefish, Feb 4, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    Could it be this? (from Wikipedia)

You could add a LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy DWORD in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System and set it to 1.

Access denied to Administrative (Admin) shares in Windows 8 - 4sysops

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Accessing administrative shares

1. Accessing administrative shares - Similar Threads - Accessing administrative shares

2. Unable to access shared folder using windows administrator as well as domain administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access shared folder using windows administrator as well as domain administrator: Hi,I have one shared folder. when i am trying to access it OR trying to change its permission it is not allowing me and says access denied.I tried it using Domain Administrator as well as local administrator. It give below error.If i take ownership of folder after that i can...
  3. Unable to access shared folder using windows administrator as well as domain administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access shared folder using windows administrator as well as domain administrator: Hi,I have one shared folder. when i am trying to access it OR trying to change its permission it is not allowing me and says access denied.I tried it using Domain Administrator as well as local administrator. It give below error.If i take ownership of folder after that i can...
  4. Administrative privilege on a share without accessing to data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Administrative privilege on a share without accessing to data: Hi everyone,Is there a way to have administrative privilege on a share without accessing to data, just to assign authorizations to end users, thank you....
  5. Administrative privilege on a share without accessing to data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrative privilege on a share without accessing to data: Hi everyone,Is there a way to have administrative privilege on a share without accessing to data, just to assign authorizations to end users, thank you....
  6. Administrative privilege on a share without accessing to data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. No administrator access

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No administrator access: My friend is trying to reset his windows but he can't because he doesn't have administrator access. Does any1 have any ideas https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-administrator-access/97bcc286-90f9-4a94-a5d0-db66904987f2
  8. Administrator access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Administrator access: Hello, I'm running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909, OS Build 18363.1139. Recently updated. I often get a note popped up telling me I can't perform an action because I need administrator access. Lately this happened after I defragmented the system hard drive. After rebooting,...
  9. Share Access

Share Access: I have a curious, but intermittent issue. And it would be the CEO PC that is affected. The site consists of several servers 2012 and 2016 and about 15 Windows 10 Pro client machines. One of the server Windows 2016 running as a Remote Desktop Server. It's in place for an...
  10. Sharing and Access

Sharing and Access: The setup: Three computers on a local WI-FI network. Attempting to grant full access from each computer to the other two. The C drives in all three computers are shared with full permission. Network discovery is enabled and other necessary settings in "network and sharing...