Windows 10: Accessing hard drive in laptop from desktop.

Discus and support Accessing hard drive in laptop from desktop. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am getting the error windows cannot access \\CHRS_LAPTOP\laptop harddrive What is going on, I set the sharing preferences so no password is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by waxman80014, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Accessing hard drive in laptop from desktop.

I am getting the error windows cannot access \\CHRS_LAPTOP\laptop harddrive

What is going on, I set the sharing preferences so no password is needed to access the hard drive and everyone can access it. This worked in windows 7 and 8.1, what changed in windows 10?

:)

waxman80014, Aug 9, 2016
  2. Kaveh300 Win User

Laptop doesn't see my network drive

I have an external Hard Drive Connected to my Netgear R8000 for the shared drive capability. I have my Desktop and my Laptop that use the drive, I upgraded both to Windows 10. Now my Laptop doesn't see the Hard Drive. I checked my Desktop and its still
    there and I can access it there, but on my laptop when I'm home, it doesn't see it. The only wayto access my hard drive from my laptop is to FTP into it, I tried disabling the firewall on my laptop but it didn't work. Is there a setting on my laptop I need
    to change on my laptop to get it working?

Kaveh300, Aug 9, 2016
  3. windows 10 external hard drive

Widows 10 does not recognize Seagate freeagent goflex hard drive. it doesnot appear in Disk Manager or Device Management. I can access hard drive from my Apple Laptop and Windows 8.1 desktop

LouisGiglioli, Aug 9, 2016
  4. Accessing hard drive in laptop from desktop.

Are you using an MS account. If yes try to switch to a local account and share the drive again.
    Not sure why its not working in case of MS Account

manish9009, Aug 9, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Try accessing it with the IP. You can access it with the Live account as the username. Just remember that it is lower case for username.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Accessing hard drive in laptop from desktop.

1. Accessing hard drive in laptop from desktop. - Similar Threads - Accessing hard drive

2. USB hard drive is not accessible

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB hard drive is not accessible: I just tried to access my external usb hard drive and was unable to do so. Received error message: "E:\ is not accessible - the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable". I just updated all my drivers 2 days ago so I tried plugging the drive into my laptop which has the...
  3. Unable to access files on Desktop from laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access files on Desktop from laptop: Both my laptop and my desktop operate on Windows 10 and I have followed previously successful steps for sharing files between the two computers. Why can I not access my desktop's files from my laptop suddenly, today? Did anybody else have the same problem? Could you please...
  4. Can't access external hard drives from my laptop or my notebook.

Can't access external hard drives from my laptop or my notebook.: Hello all. I have just read a post but it does not reach my situation, quite. I have an ASUS notebook and an ASUS laptop and a couple of external hard drives which I needed to add storage space to help with Windows updates, on the notebook because it's got very limited...
  5. access to files on hard drive from crashed laptop

access to files on hard drive from crashed laptop: My laptop died and I have removed the harddrive and can access it through a usb connection on another laptop. While I have access to all my files on the e:drive, I can't open any of them. Note says I don't have permission to access. went to properties and changed access...
  6. External Hard drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  7. External Hard Drive causing BSOD on Desktop-not laptop

External Hard Drive causing BSOD on Desktop-not laptop: Very bizarre behavior. I have an old Mybook USB 2.0 for backup purposes like Resumes/Pictures. I am running the latest Windows build on both my laptop and desktop. I checked WD Utilties. Hard drive passed test. When I am copying stuff from my desktop to the hard drive...
  8. External Hard drive not accessible...

External Hard drive not accessible...: Hi All, External Hard drive not accessible...? I have 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim 200gb cloud Hard Drive. It was working fine on Win 7 earlier, I formatted my desktop and installed win 7 OS since then my exernal hard drive is not initializing. My external hdd was not...
  9. Accessing my desktop from my laptop

Accessing my desktop from my laptop: Hi. I have been trying to Accessing my desktop from my laptop both running windows 10. Is the homegroup still working on W10?. If so I have failed done all sorts of things followed links from Microsoft and other forums. It all was okay on windows 8.1 and windows 7 but what...
  10. Access to external hard drive denied on another laptop

Access to external hard drive denied on another laptop: We have two windows 10 laptops (both locked with a different password). I have been experiencing several difficulties trying to setup a sharing network, I'll get into that a later date. Since I have been having several difficulties with the network thing we have had to...