Windows 10: Accessing my documents

Discus and support Accessing my documents in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello to all at W10. Just upgraded my windows 7 desktop to Windows 10. My C drive has only the operating system and programs. All my documents... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by menu, Sep 10, 2015.

1. menu Win User

Accessing my documents

Hello to all at W10.
    Just upgraded my windows 7 desktop to Windows 10.
    My C drive has only the operating system and programs.
    All my documents pictures etc are on an internal second drive.My problem is how do I access my documents that are on the second drive via the documents folder that is included in the start .I can pin the folder to start but that leaves me with the tile to my documents.
    I would like to access it from the documents icon when I click on the start icon.
    I have tried to right click on the my documents within the start then select properties but there is no option to find target to the second drive.
    Any help Please.Updating from W7 to W10 went well but this slight issue is giving me grief.*cry
    Thank You.

:)

2. Olson_C11 Win User

Windows 10 File Permissions Accessing My Documents

Answers to your question:

• Yes when I plug in the external drive i can browse and see the folders and files. The structure is intact and they all see it there. This External Hard Drive was the same one before/after my windows upgrade. As a matter of fact during the upgrade I unplugged
      it so that it wouldn't get accidentally wiped out. It's a data only external hard drive (docs, music, pics, movies, etc).
    • NTFS type.
    • I plugged the external hard drive into my laptop tonight. It was recognized. When i first clicked on my first file folder is said I would need permissions and i clicked continue. It let me open up a couple of files like 1 or 2 word docs but others it
      didn't complaining I didn't have permission or it was corrupt. One thing I have noticed is that on both laptop and PC if I copy the file from the hard drive to the desktop it opens fine! It just doesn't open when I access directly from the hard drive and
      this ONLY started happening after my windows upgrade. So this tells me that it's probably not a driver issue if it's being recognized on both laptop and pc and I can access at least a couple of files.

Olson_C11, Sep 10, 2015
  3. Windows 10 File Permissions Accessing My Documents

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

Refer to the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter and check if it helps.

1. Click on search bar next to Start Menu.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on
    Troubleshooting.

3. Click on View All on the left panel of the screen.

4. Click on Hardware and Devices.

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue still persist, refer to the below method.

Method 2: Please try to start windows installer services in Services Window and try to connect the external drive again. Check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Type “services.msc” without the quotes and hit on Enter Key.

3. Search for Windows Installer.

4. Double click on it and under Startup type, select
    Automatic.

5. Then click on Start.

6. Click on Apply and click on OK.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 10, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Accessing my documents

Open your User folder with the Windows Explorer (this folder can e.g. be found on the Desktop or by navigating to it through the folder tree of the Windows Explorer).
    Then Rightclick on the Documents folder > Properties > Path.
    Adjust the path so that it points to the actual location of where you have the documents and hit OK.
    Windows should ask you, if you want to merge the contents of the two folders; select "Yes".

The same procedure also works with the other folders like Pictures, Videos and so on.

Afterwards the shortcut should work correctly again.

Joergi, Sep 10, 2015
Thema:

Accessing my documents

1. Accessing my documents - Similar Threads - Accessing documents

2. In Windows 11 my documents folder will not pin to the quick access menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In Windows 11 my documents folder will not pin to the quick access menu: In windows 11 my "Documents" folder will not pin the the quick access area. can anyone help as it is getting to be a pest having to use the "user" route to get to "Documents"...
  3. In Windows 11 my documents folder will not pin to the quick access menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In Windows 11 my documents folder will not pin to the quick access menu: In windows 11 my "Documents" folder will not pin the the quick access area. can anyone help as it is getting to be a pest having to use the "user" route to get to "Documents"...
  4. Cannot pin OneDrive Documents folder to Quick Access after unlinking OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot pin OneDrive Documents folder to Quick Access after unlinking OneDrive: I have windows 11 pro. I recently unlinked OneDrive from my PC. Now my Quick Access no longer shows the shortcut to C:\Users\tanya\OneDrive\Documents. I tried to manually add the shortcut back to Quick Access, but nothing happens. The only way to get back to...
  5. Cannot pin OneDrive Documents folder to Quick Access after unlinking OneDrive

Cannot pin OneDrive Documents folder to Quick Access after unlinking OneDrive: I have windows 11 pro. I recently unlinked OneDrive from my PC. Now my Quick Access no longer shows the shortcut to C:\Users\tanya\OneDrive\Documents. I tried to manually add the shortcut back to Quick Access, but nothing happens. The only way to get back to...
  6. Access denied to local file server document, request for Sharepoint permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied to local file server document, request for Sharepoint permission: Hello,On some xlsm files stored on my local network folders, I get an "Access denied" message saying I do not have access to view this file and if I would like to request for permission on Sharepoint?This does not make any sense as the file is locally stored on a local file...
  7. Access denied to local file server document, request for Sharepoint permission

Access denied to local file server document, request for Sharepoint permission: Hello,On some xlsm files stored on my local network folders, I get an "Access denied" message saying I do not have access to view this file and if I would like to request for permission on Sharepoint?This does not make any sense as the file is locally stored on a local file...
  8. Can;t access services 'UNABLE TO CREATE DOCUMENT'

Can;t access services 'UNABLE TO CREATE DOCUMENT': I can't access my services it shows "unable to create document"and can't use sfc /scannow it shows "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service." if i want to see any folders properties it would'nt open and when i try to play game it shows "failed to load...
  9. Can;t access services 'UNABLE TO CREATE DOCUMENT'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can;t access services 'UNABLE TO CREATE DOCUMENT': I can't access my services it shows "unable to create document"and can't use sfc /scannow it shows "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service." if i want to see any folders properties it would'nt open and when i try to play game it shows "failed to load...
  10. how to access My Documents on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to access My Documents on Windows 10: how to access My Documents on Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-access-my-documents-on-windows-10/864b2d44-f79c-40ff-a3de-a25dbe381990