Windows 10: Accidentally checked selective startup with safe mode. Seems stuck

Discus and support Accidentally checked selective startup with safe mode. Seems stuck in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It is taking forever to boot into safe mode not sure why. Just clocking. I had set it up via msconfig. Any way to skip safe mode or am I stuck until I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pittguy578, May 21, 2016.

1. Accidentally checked selective startup with safe mode. Seems stuck

It is taking forever to boot into safe mode not sure why. Just clocking. I had set it up via msconfig. Any way to skip safe mode or am I stuck until I get to desktop ?

:)

pittguy578, May 21, 2016
  2. BobTuit Win User

Stuck in Safe mode on Windows 10.

I recently updated to Windows 10 and inadvertently restarted in safe mode. When I go to MSCONFIG it

seems to let me change and apply returning to normal startup but it actually upon rechecking, does not.

It will not let me change from selective startup back to Normal startup. IT appears to but reloading MSCONFIG says it does not apply.

The Diagnostics ran fine, but my PC is permanently stuck in safe mode. It is basically dead.

The moral of the story I believe is I should not have updated to Windows 10. Accidentally checked selective startup with safe mode. Seems stuck :(

BobTuit, May 21, 2016
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    power plans

My power plan was Fast only available last major update.

Going to Safe mode and then it showed all the plans so I checked my favorite Balanced plan. Seemed to fix it here.

I get to safe mode by holding the Shift key while selecting Restart. Then TroubleShoot / Advanced / StartUp settings, which will take you to the startup menu to choose Safe Mode

'Mike P, May 21, 2016
  4. Accidentally checked selective startup with safe mode. Seems stuck

No idea what to do. I accidentally clicked selective startup along with safe mode. I let the system go for 45 minutes without getting to login. Not sure if it is something that is stuck forever or if it can be fixed. Any way to cancel safe mode bootup before boot? *Sad

pittguy578, May 21, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    I am not too clear in what you said.
    Can you boot to safe mode ?

If you can, please do so.
    When you are in safe mode, in the search box next to Start button, type msconfig > press Enter.
    click Boot at the top > under Boot options > UN-check safe boot > click OK when done > restart computer.
    You should be back to normal mode.

Accidentally checked selective startup with safe mode. Seems stuck [​IMG]

davidhk, May 21, 2016
  6. I am not sure what is going on though. I am trying to boot into safe mode. It keeps clocking at the first screen for 45 minutes. Is there any way to cancel a safe mode bootup if you can't get to desktop? *Sad

pittguy578, May 21, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Apparently I have misunderstood what you said completely.

What happens if you shut down your computer then turn power back on ?

davidhk, May 21, 2016
  8. Accidentally checked selective startup with safe mode. Seems stuck

I had done that a few times. It seems to be forever stuck since it hasn't completed the safe mode startup*Sad

pittguy578, May 21, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    ................ It keeps clocking at the first screen for 45 minutes..................

What is the "first screen" ?
    Can you briefly describe it ?

Does it do anything if you hit any key on your keyboard or do a click on your mouse ?

davidhk, May 21, 2016
  10. I am sorry. I am talking about the little spinning windows clock/ball is where it hangs up at. Literally timed 45 minutes. Unsure if waiting longer would help*Sad

pittguy578, May 21, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    I am out of ideas. I don't think I can assist you any further.
    I apologize for wasting your time.

Please wait a bit for someone to come along.
    Good luck.

davidhk, May 21, 2016
  12. I used my backup hard drive and Rufus to make bootable USB. Going back to prior build. Hope this works*Smile

pittguy578, May 21, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Accidentally checked selective startup with safe mode. Seems stuck

Hello, this is the command from an admin command prompt within Windows:
    bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

However in your scenario you would be booting to a command prompt from a live boot disk as you can't log in.
    The converse to enable safe mode is
    bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal

Caution: inappropriate use may render your PC unbootable.

dalchina, May 21, 2016
  14. Well, if you manage to boot USB, run CMD and enter:

bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot

TairikuOkami, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Accidentally checked selective startup with safe mode. Seems stuck

1. Accidentally checked selective startup with safe mode. Seems stuck - Similar Threads - Accidentally checked selective

2. Stuck in safe mode startup screen with password not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck in safe mode startup screen with password not working.: I cannot access my laptop because I do not know the password for safe mode. I know it's not my PIN, but my working Microsoft password doesn't work either. Networking is not enabled although I thought I chose that when choosing to enter safe mode. I tried to connect via...
  3. Windows 10 stuck in Selective Startup mode in MSCONFIG

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 stuck in Selective Startup mode in MSCONFIG: System Configuration Utility, popularly known as MSCONFIG, allows you to configure the startup behavior of Windows. It allows users to troubleshoot the load time, stability, and performance problems. It has been reported that Windows 10 gets stuck in Selective Startup, which...
  4. stuck in safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    stuck in safe mode: I enabled safe mode and my password doesn't work I have watched several tutorials they all do something in the troubleshoot screen but when a try to use any of the options (eg. cmd prompt) it asks me for my password which isn't working pls help submitted by...
  5. stuck in safe mode

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    stuck in safe mode: I booted into Windows 10 Safe Mode. When I try to log in, “password is incorrect.” I reset my password on Microsoft so I know my password. I typed in the correct password, “password is incorrect.” I used SHIFT + Restart to access Windows 10 Safe Mode with Networking and...
  6. Stuck in safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck in safe mode: Wanted to do a clean install of GPU drivers so I booted in to safe mode without networking from msconfig. Rebooted and my password and PIN do not work. Tried resetting password since its connected to LIVE but even the new password doesn't work so there must not be network...
  7. Stuck in safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck in safe mode: I'm stuck in safe mode without networking. I've been working on this for a while with the usual tools on USB and other remedies I've read in forums. I get to the safe mode desktop but without networking, I assume the password will never work so I can't return to normal...
  8. Stuck in Selective Startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stuck in Selective Startup: (Moved from EightForums, where I posted in error.) I was instructed to use Selective Startup to get Quicken installed (didn't work), and now I can't get out! This is a laptop that has been stuck with the Microsoft account login (cannot fix it as other options are grayed...
  9. stuck in safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    stuck in safe mode: I have been using my fingerprint (ever since i upgraded to windows10) to login to my laptop as i have forgotten my password. Recently when i dowloaded a software my system rebooted in safe mode. I am now unable to login as the finger print sotware is not accessible. I am...
  10. Stuck in diagnostic startup and need to get to safe mode.

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck in diagnostic startup and need to get to safe mode.: In the diagnostic startup mode there's no search so I can't run msconfig. Is there another way to do run this? I got to where I'm at now by running msconfig, staying on the general tab (not the boot), unchecking normal startup, then checking diagnostic. No matter what I've...