Windows 10: Accidentally copied / moved some files: find out folders, files?

Discus and support Accidentally copied / moved some files: find out folders, files? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have (obviously with a shortcut or so) accidentally copied / moved some files I do not know from a folder I do not know to a folder I do not know.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Enter, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Enter Win User

Accidentally copied / moved some files: find out folders, files?

I have (obviously with a shortcut or so) accidentally copied / moved some files I do not know from a folder I do not know to a folder I do not know.

Is there a way to find out these folders / files? Is there a log or such?

:)

Enter, Jun 3, 2017

2. deleted folder on Windows 10

Hello,

Having said that the entire folder were accidentally deleted, it seems that the files/folders are unrecoverable. Moving forward, we suggest that you back up all the files/folders you have, so in case that same things happened, you still have copies of them.

Thanks.

Regile Reb, Jun 3, 2017
  3. Event log

If I accidentally moved a folder into another folder, will there be an entry in some log somewhere? I don't know what folder I moved it to.

CharlesJezik, Jun 3, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Ok....

What makes you think you have done something wrong, or incorrect? What triggered this question?

We have to start somewhere......

f14tomcat, Jun 3, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    I'm guessing an accidental drag & drop.
    I have done that sooooo many times*Redface

It can happen when using one of those damn touchpads, or even, if like me, you have spastic, twitchy fingers, with the mouse.
    This is why I asked Shawn in a message, if there was a way to make the drag & drop less sensitive. And our elite alien, created a tutorial and registry file: Change Drag and Drop Sensitivity in Windows Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

As to finding what was moved, first a question:
    Do you have a system image you can re-image to?

If not, then you might just have to look at each folder on your system, and see what might not belong where.
    If you have a slight idea, then use windows search, but..... otherwise?

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    I like that one. Even with the Activity app, mish-mashing a folder's content into another's only tells you what you may have done. Not the details.

f14tomcat, Jun 3, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User

If it's turned on. Still, system restore isn't likely to undo a copied folder, I don't think.

f14tomcat, Jun 3, 2017
  8. simrick Win User
    I don't know. Just a thought. But it seems to me that it puts everything back the way it was - including files and their versions.

simrick, Jun 3, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    @Enter Do you have any response to any of these posts? Any questions? More Info?

f14tomcat, Jun 3, 2017
  10. Alright, think of me as you will for this, but I had a similar incident following one of the major updates. Looking around after the update with File Explorer I found all 1,100+ photos out of my Pictures Folder were gone! Initial panic followed by "OK, they're backed up, no problem". Looking further to see what else was gone, I found all the photos in my Downloads Folder!

This still haunts me and has more than contributed a little to my paranoia. I've just accepted that things go bump in the night.

Wiley Coyote, Jun 3, 2017
  11. Edwin New Member
    @Enter
    Did you try 'Undo Move' at the place of origin?

Accidentally copied / moved some files: find out folders, files? [​IMG]

Edwin, Jun 3, 2017
  12. Enter Win User

Thank you very much!

Sorry, I am not quite sure, an Win copy or move message appeared. So there was transferred somehting.

Many thanks for the link.

I cannot find anything / a clue what could help:

No, I don't.

Hmmm, well, so 100.000 of files...folders...manually....?...well...

I do not have.

Yes...a system restore would change / bring back / restore once's own files? And even if, I would suppose the files edited / changed, etc. since the last restore point would be restored then as well. But the transferred files are on I:, an external drive. So it would not work, I assume.

Actually I had supposed there would be an easy way...there are so many protocolls, logs and whatever on Win...

Many thanks again

Enter, Jun 3, 2017
  13. f14tomcat Win User
    As to this part:

As to finding what was moved, first a question*Biggrino you have a system image you can re-image to? No, I don't.

Won't fix your immediate problem, but when you get fixed, put a backup plan in effect.

Macrium Reflect Free | Macrium Software

f14tomcat, Jun 3, 2017
  14. Cliff S New Member
    if you know the date when it happened, the time too, would be better, search inside of file explore, here is an example:

I created this folder for the test, then just looked for the change date:

Cliff S, Jun 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Accidentally copied / moved some files: find out folders, files? - Similar Threads - Accidentally copied moved

2. No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]: Hi everyone,The o/s is W10 Pro with two account, the "main" one has always been admin standard and has never caused problems.The "secondary" is "user" and the one causing problems: I can no longer copy/move files in folder or from folder to folder. The desktop screen flashes...
  3. No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]: Hi everyone,The o/s is W10 Pro with two account, the "main" one has always been admin standard and has never caused problems.The "secondary" is "user" and the one causing problems: I can no longer copy/move files in folder or from folder to folder. The desktop screen flashes...
  4. No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Copies in Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Copies in Folders: Using WIN not using One Drive -I made a new folder to copy certain documents into it to have a folder dedicated for a specific topic. I copied the files from one folder to the next. I made some changes to the names of the files. I closed the folder. When I reopened it later...
  6. File Copies in Folders

File Copies in Folders: Using WIN not using One Drive -I made a new folder to copy certain documents into it to have a folder dedicated for a specific topic. I copied the files from one folder to the next. I made some changes to the names of the files. I closed the folder. When I reopened it later...
  7. Moving or Copying Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving or Copying Files: My new Windows 11 is disappointing because it fails to incorporate Windows 10 excellent file management system when it comes to sending or copying a file. Is there any thought to bringing that feature into W11?...
  8. Moving or Copying Files

Moving or Copying Files: My new Windows 11 is disappointing because it fails to incorporate Windows 10 excellent file management system when it comes to sending or copying a file. Is there any thought to bringing that feature into W11?...
  9. copy move files

copy move files: Hi I am a photographer and on Windows 10 I manually copy images to backup all the time.... I want to copy files to backup and filter only by name & size and not by Date/Time... Because of Daylight Saving Time many times my backup files do not jive with the original files...
  10. Moving/Copying files and folders in Windows 10

Moving/Copying files and folders in Windows 10: I have just lost a folder of files that I meant to copy from one location to another location on the same drive. I meant to copy the files, but instead I moved them. Realizing my mistake, I used the "Undo" function and now the files/folders have completely disappeared ......