Windows 10: Accidentally created another User

Discus and support Accidentally created another User in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I was trying to follow the instructions to dispense with logging in with user name and password every time I boot up... went thru "netplwiz" and after... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by clemenzina, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Accidentally created another User

I was trying to follow the instructions to dispense with logging in with user name and password every time I boot up... went thru "netplwiz" and after unticking the requisite box and clicking OK it presented me with a user name I hadn't chosen (although it's part of my GMail address for MS sign-in) to add a password to twice, presumably to confirm I'm authorised to change the sign-in setting.

Concerned that I didn't recognise the username as one I'd chosen I typed in the one that Microsoft greets me with and then typed in twice the normal password (or so I thought).

Rebooted to test it was working and it was NOT! Tried to sign in and it said I'd entered the wrong password. Then noticed in the bottom left of my screen that there were 2 identical user names so I selected what I hoped was a different user and signed in OK with my old password on that.

I cannot find 2 users tho, to delete the unwanted one.

Please can someone sort me out so that I have only one user (me, as Admin) and so that I do not have to log in.

===

I must add... heaven knows why I'm finding it so difficult to set up this laptop when I've coped fine with Windows 10 on my others... except I'm a little bit older? *Redface

:)

clemenzina, Jan 11, 2017
  2. TCwj Win User

accidentally locked another user out

I was sharing a desktop running windows 10 with another user and I did something to accidentally deny them access. I've done the Switch user" thing and cant switch back? What can I do besides grovel at her feet and beg for mercy? That didn't work either

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum topic.***

3. Argel Obm Win User
    accidentally locked another user out

Hi,

Please answer the questions below for us to better assist you on your concern:

• Can you still access your own account on the computer?
    • Is your account an administrator?
    • What error message is she getting when she attempts to log in to her account?
    • Which type of account does she use? Is she using a Microsoft account or a local account? You can check if she is using a Microsoft account if you can see an email address under her name on the login screen.

We're looking forward to your response.

Argel Obm, Jan 11, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Accidentally created another User

There is a useful tutorial here which will show you all the accounts on your system: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html. Hopefully this will help you work out which account you need to delete. Note that you can only delete accounts if you are an administrator. New accounts are set up by default as standard accounts not administrator accounts.

philc43, Jan 11, 2017
  5. Thank you, Phil, and I've got a list of accounts but haven't the faintest idea how to make use of it.

When I boot up I see a log-in box with "Wrong password..." and an OK button to try again even tho I haven't done anything yet.

Click OK and then I see, in the bottom left of the screen, two identical user names with the second one highlighted. If I select the first one I can log in as normal with my Microsoft account.

Here is the list of accounts, no Admin in my name. What do I do next, please?

clemenzina, Jan 11, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    Can you determine if the Microsoft Account that you are logged in with is an Administrator account? The following tutorial shows you how:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

I suspect that you do not have an administrator account active on your system but need to check first. If this is true then we will need to activate the built-in Administrator account which is there for situations like this.

philc43, Jan 11, 2017
  7. I'm logged in as Administrator.

clemenzina, Jan 11, 2017
  8. philc43 Win User

Okay, that is good. Please reverse the change that you made to automatically sign in to Windows. See the tutorial here if you want to read more about this, I think you used option 1. Check that your PC has reverted back and then you can try and set it up again following the procedure given in the tutorial.

You need to be aware that MS does not use the full username of your MS account email but just uses the first 5 letters.

philc43, Jan 11, 2017
  9. When I started out trying to disable log-in I was not aware of that, so when I saw my nickname in the box instead of my Microsoft account name, I changed it to the latter and added the password that I usually sign in with, but it said my 2 attempts did not match so I entered them again, OK.

Since that moment the first log-in screen requires a password that I do not know, and I have to choose the alternative, identical ID on the bottom of the screen to sign in with my usual password.

The reason I'm rehashing this is because I'm scared to go in there again, what mischief may I get up to this time?

I was going to ask Microsoft to give me a call but the waiting time was 3+ hours... tried again later and it was 6+ hours *eek* by which time I'll be asleep... in fact I feel a nap coming on now, I'll let you know how I get on.

I really appreciate your help, Phil *Smile

clemenzina, Jan 11, 2017
  10. philc43 Win User
    You should be OK, your list of accounts did not show any problems and I think you will be able to get back by undoing the automatic login. Just make sure the box is ticked for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

philc43, Jan 11, 2017
  11. UPDATE

I decided to book a callback from Microsoft, didn't do it yesterday because the estimated waiting times went from 300+ to 600+ to 1000+ minutes! This morning at 0910hr (UK) I booked the call and they phoned instantly *Smile

However, despite spending 1h15m faffing around in my system the operative was unable to fix the problem and has escalated me to 'second level' and they are calling me in the morning.

However! I had a sleep and when I next booted up the log-in screen was completely normal, just the one ID and no pre-existing message saying the password was wrong - go figure!

So I'll try to get this second-level person to by-pass the log-in for me. (And fix OneDrive, which I had to uninstall because it hijacks the print screen key *Mad ).

clemenzina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Accidentally created another User - Similar Threads - Accidentally created another

2. How to decrypt photos that another user created and are owned by...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to decrypt photos that another user created and are owned by...: I have a Windows 10 PC 10.0.19043.1110, and I have these images that were shot in 2008. However whenever I try to access it, I get this error message saying that I do not have permissions to read the file. I can rename the file though. In addition, if I try to copy it or move...
  3. Accidentally Created another user account with the same email

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Accidentally Created another user account with the same email: Hi, so I was trying to install a program that wouldnt run due to certain account settings I had in place. To get around this I created another family user to download the program on that account and then have access to it. unfortunately I created the second account using the...
  4. Accidentally Deleted User

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Accidentally Deleted User: I am using a new computer, and I am new to Windows. I accidentally deleted the user using Windows key + R, and then "control userpasswords2". I thought I had renamed my user, but now I cannot run or open any file. I went back to user account doing the same method, but there...
  5. Accidentally renamed User folder to Downloads after trying to move User folders to another...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidentally renamed User folder to Downloads after trying to move User folders to another...: I tried to move my User folders to another drive but when the first folder showed up as not being in a folder the same as what would be in C:\Users\Pete\ I ried to move the files back. I tried following...
  6. Cannot create another user profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot create another user profile: I tried to create another user other than family, but when I click on other user, nothing happens. My windows is legit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-create-another-user-profile/2240b61c-82e7-4100-9b77-39c57026b36b
  7. Accidentally created a second account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Accidentally created a second account: I purchased a new laptop and accidentally set up a second Microsoft Account using my gmail email. I forgot that my account was set up with an old email from a couple years ago. Everything is registered or connected with that old account. Now the new account is frozen for 30...
  8. Not able to create another user

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Not able to create another user: I created a new local user, but when i restarted only my old user is showing and the newly created user is not showing Why is this happening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-create-another-user/39857e01-b148-45bc-a8e1-634d09375194
  9. Not able to create another user in Win10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Not able to create another user in Win10: I created a child account and then removed it. Now when I try to add another user account with same Microsoft account as was used for the child account, it wont let me....
  10. I have created another user on my laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I have created another user on my laptop: Hi I have added my wife as a user on my laptop, however when she tries to log into iTunes the first thing we noticed was when typing an email address the key @ does not produce that symbol, where as on my user account it works fine, in my wifes user account when you press @ a...