Windows 10: Accidentally made Chrome open every time I start an application

Discus and support Accidentally made Chrome open every time I start an application in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have an indexing utility called Wilbur that I've used for years on Windows XP. I just installed it on Windows 10. When I opened it, a dialog box came... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by phrab, Apr 29, 2017.

1. phrab Win User

Accidentally made Chrome open every time I start an application

I have an indexing utility called Wilbur that I've used for years on Windows XP. I just installed it on Windows 10. When I opened it, a dialog box came up and said how do you want to open this utility. I incorrectly thought I chose Wilbur, but somehow Google Chrome was selected. Now every time I launch it, although it launches, it also launches Chrome.

I have File Types Manager, but this is an .exe file. I don't know how to get rid of this behavior (I tried uninstalling & reinstalling.)

What can I do? Thanks.

Additional: It seems that somehow, when I open the executable, it wants to also open the help file, which is an .htm file. So maybe it's a problem with how I installed it. I still need help though.

:)

phrab, Apr 29, 2017

2. Chrome Freezing Every Time I Open It

Chrome is the one that started freezing up.

Windows 10, new dell computer.

No changes at all.

No error messages, just frozen screen.

ScottyFarrar, Apr 29, 2017
  3. Chrome Freezing Every Time I Open It

No flash plugin installed. The funny thing is, Chrome is still working on my old computer.

My old computer is still hooked up to the internet and Chrome works fine in it. It used to work fine in this new computer. Sometimes when I start it up I get flooded with Youtube updates off to the lower right screen, I click on them to clear them and it
    freezes up. Other times when I start Chrome up it just freezes before the tab completely loads. Yet, I go over to my old computer, and it works just fine.....

Okay, I noticed that there was a red box highlighted under settings "sign in" section. So I relogged in on the old computer, then I did the same on the new computer and it seems to have fixed it for now! Hopefully that was it, I have no idea why it was conflicting
    somehow.

ScottyFarrar, Apr 29, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, try using a system restore point to restore your PC as it was before you installed the program.
    (System restore will only be useful if you ever enabled it - it's off by default in Win 10, strangely).

Or, use a previously created disk image to restore your system. (If you are not in the habit of using disk imaging routinely as we strongly and repeatedly recommend- when this is fixed will be a good time to start). Disk imaging helps you to help yourself without technical help in many cases.

Failing the above, you could try uninstalling Wilbur with the help of Revo Uninstaller (free). That will search for anything related to it.

I have to admit I'm finding it hard to quite grasp what you did.

Do you mean... when I launched Wilbur (by clicking on a shortcut) a dialog box came up....?
    What exactly did you open?

I can't see how
    relates to

dalchina, Apr 30, 2017
  5. phrab Win User
    Thank you for your reply, dalchina. I was able to use a backup (I do make them every other day) to prevent the behavior. System restore, although I did enable it some time ago, doesn't restore...that's another issue.

To be more specific, when I start Wilbur (which is a search tool), I get a error icon (which I uploaded). When I click on that, it now starts Wilbur. However, when I clicked on it before I restored from a backup, I got a dialog box asking me how I wanted to open this utility. Apparently, it wanted to open an online help file & that's how I accidentally made Chrome the default.

I still get this error message, although clicking either OK or the "x" opens Wilbur.
    Accidentally made Chrome open every time I start an application [​IMG]
    Not sure why this happens, as I had no trouble with this in Windows XP.

phrab, Apr 30, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, here's what I found when I installed it, and how to get rid of the

1. The first time I ran it, it opened a browser page (a local htm file)
    file:///D:/File%20Management/Search%20tools/Wilbur/help/gettingstarted.htm

It also gave me the yellow ! window you show above.

Clicking on the OK button => the main window opened.

I didn't see this.

I'm wondering if that was
    - that is, you had no htm file type association defined.

The question as you stated it makes little sense, part of what confused me.

2. Dealing with this:

This relatively easy. Well, it is for me as I use Classic Shell as my start menu. This might be harder for you if you use Win 10's start menu.
    Rt click the start menu shortcut, Properties, Compatibility, Run Compatibility Troubleshooter.
    That sets it to XP SP3.

First time Wilbur's run, if UAC is enabled, there's now a UAC prompt.

Having done that, the yellow ! is no more.

But- the Getting Started page (which claims it will only be displayed the first time) is displayed every time Wilbur is started - exactly as you note.

Now for Wibur only to show this the first time, there would have to be some sort of flag- in the registry or an ini file, perhaps.

I've looked at the registry entries and can't see a contender, and there's nothing in the installation folder that looks likely. I would conclude that for whatever reason Wilbur can't write somewhere to set that flag. (It's old software).

I think you're correctly seeing your default browser opening the Getting Started page, and you defined the association for htm files when you first launched Wilbur. (But if you think an htm file is opening the wrong program, you can change the file association for htm files).

As an aside, are you aware Google desktop search (although obsolete) is still available to download? One unique attribute was the ability, via an add-on, to OCR documents for indexing.

dalchina, Apr 30, 2017
  7. phrab Win User
    *Smile You've done it again, dalchina. I ran the compatibility troubleshooter, chose "...worked in previous versions...", Windows XP (SP3). Now it opens without the error message & without going to the help Start page. Not sure why it still went to start page for you, but it doesn't for me. The only problem I had was that it said it couldn't find the indexes at Program Files (x86)>Wilbur >Indexes because I created them in my Documents folder. After I copied all the indexes over, I got no more error messages.

And I will download & try the Google desktop search! After almost 4 months, I may actually start liking Windows 10*Biggrin

And, as another aside, I don't know if you prefer using the keyboard to the mouse, but 2 great utilities are Launchy (which I use for apps) & Everything (which I use for folders.

phrab, Apr 30, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Good.. curious I never came across that search tool way back. I tried several. Launchy I used a little a long time back.

I prefer Locate32 to Everything- do you use the beta version with the added GUI for search criteria, if that's still the latest? (There's seemingly 3 years between the beta and the last official release)

Programs I launch from Classic Shell's search, or from sTablauncher, a dockable tabbed launchbar which supports drag 'n drop.

If I'm in a really good mood I might say e.g. 'Hey Cortana, open FineReader' (launches Abby Finereader), or 'open Writer' - starts WPS Writer.

dalchina, Apr 30, 2017
  9. phrab Win User
    I'm using Version 1.4.1.867b (x64) of Everything. I used to use "DirNow!", a little known utility that was wonderful. When trying to open folders, you could type any part of the folder name to search & it had options to search any part of the path or just the last part after a slash. I used it for awhile in Windows 10, but eventually it stopped working correctly. I may try it again. I can send it to you if you want to try it. I'll try out some of the utilities that you've mentioned.*chuckle

phrab, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Accidentally made Chrome open every time I start an application - Similar Threads - Accidentally made Chrome

2. Opening chrome causes default app settings to open each and every time.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening chrome causes default app settings to open each and every time.: After today's cumulative update for Windows 10 and 11, 2023-04, every time I open Chrome the default app settings of windows will open. I've tried many ways to resolve this without luck. This is happening to all 600 systems with the update. Removing the update makes the issue...
  3. Opening chrome causes default app settings to open each and every time.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening chrome causes default app settings to open each and every time.: After today's cumulative update for Windows 10 and 11, 2023-04, every time I open Chrome the default app settings of windows will open. I've tried many ways to resolve this without luck. This is happening to all 600 systems with the update. Removing the update makes the issue...
  4. Opening chrome causes default app settings to open each and every time.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. application error almost every time i start my computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    application error almost every time i start my computer: hello. i have this problem with my windows laptop every time i start it with a notifications about application error. i have searched about the same problem and said that i need to delete the wondershare. but when i try, it says that i need an administration permission to...
  6. Opens a file every time I start windows 10

Opens a file every time I start windows 10: --2021-05-12 16:50:27-- http://kasun/ Resolving kasun... failed: Unknown host. wget: unable to resolve host address `kasun' --2021-05-12 16:50:29-- http://sameera%5Cappdata%5Clocal%5Ctemp%5Cwsar_download.log/ Resolving sameera\appdata\local\temp\wsar_download.log... failed:...
  7. BSoD every time I start up and strange behavior of application windows

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    BSoD every time I start up and strange behavior of application windows: I have no idea how this started, how this happened, or how to fix this, but my computer has been acting strangely lately. My PC is a Lenovo Ideapad 330, with 1TB of storage. This error happened one stage at a time. First, the apps didn't do the correct fluid motions when...
  8. Every time I hit escape a new chrome window opens

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Every time I hit escape a new chrome window opens: Previously it would open up the mail app. i deleted it and now it’s chrome. i’m new to windows so have no idea what could have caused this or what to do submitted by /u/cranberrysprite666 [link] [comments]...
  9. In my laptop,every time i open Google Chrome instead of opening chrome it opens Firefox....

In my laptop,every time i open Google Chrome instead of opening chrome it opens Firefox....: From last 1 week i have tried to open google chrome but it always opens Mozilla firefox ,i have tried changing defaults and have tried to delete firefox but nothing work.I have to work on google but it won't let me open chrome.Please help,Thanks...
  10. Volume issue going up every time I start an application.

Volume issue going up every time I start an application.: Hello, I've been experiencing an issue with a volume problem when launching an app like a game for example. When I open it and put the volume down it stays like that but only until when I reopen the application the volume resets back to 100%. I don't know how to fix this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chrome open every time windows start