Windows 10: Accidentally Made new User Path Variable, so real one got overridden!!

Discus and support Accidentally Made new User Path Variable, so real one got overridden!! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; While trying to add a new Path Variable, i accidentally made a new User Path Variable with the exact same name as the real User Path Variable, so the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Zenrap518, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Zenrap518 Win User

Accidentally Made new User Path Variable, so real one got overridden!!

While trying to add a new Path Variable, i accidentally made a new User Path Variable with the exact same name as the real User Path Variable, so the real one got overridden. What can i do to recover it? If i can't, what can i do? Need Answers Quick. Thanks!

:)

Zenrap518, Sep 16, 2017

2. New Environment Variables Not Working in Windows 10

It's not working in User Variables but it is working in System Variables. It is mystifying why new paths aren't working in User Variables. I am not doing anything wrong.

So, if I want to add variables, I'll be doing them in system (I am the only user on this computer so it doesn't really make a difference).

Anyway, if anyone has any idea why User Variables don't work, let me know.

BillWagner3, Sep 16, 2017
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    accidentally deleted path variable

Hi,

Corrupted file system may be the reason why you're unable to perform system restore. To assist you better, we'd like to know if did you get any error messages when you tried to perform the system restore.

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow these steps to do the Repair Mode:

• Tap F8 at boot time.
    • Select Repair Mode.
    • Select the System Restore option.
    • Set Windows back by a few days.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Sep 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Suggest system restore. (Assuming it will work given what you've done!) Have you enabled it on your PC?

*Arrow System Restore Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

You can start it from
    a. within Windows
    b. by booting from Win 10 bootable medium
    c. by e.g. SHIFT + left click on Restart and reboot to Troubleshooting options.

Failing that you could restore the backup copy of your registry (needs a boot disk or you boot to a command prompt)

We strongly recommend everyone uses disk imaging. If you have a disk image of Windows you have a second chance in most situations without technical help. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free)

dalchina, Sep 16, 2017
  5. Zenrap518 Win User
    My computer seems to be working fine and i have not encountered problems so far. I deleted the User Path Variable, not the System Path, should i still do a system restore? I don’t know if the restore point i have is old or new...

Zenrap518, Sep 16, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Which variable are you referring to? USERPROFILE? That's pretty simple, so if the path is valid- same as before- I guess you're lucky.

As you can see, restore points are clearly dated:

Accidentally Made new User Path Variable, so real one got overridden!! [​IMG]

.. so you can decide what to do.

I have my PC set up to create one daily (using a task I created):

We also continually strongly urge people to use disk imaging to protect their PC & their data against all manner of problems-- something to look into when you've resolved this. (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) ).

dalchina, Sep 16, 2017
  7. Zenrap518 Win User
    I’m reffering to the Path in User Variables. Not everyone seems to have it and the value is different for different computers.

Zenrap518, Sep 16, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

As you can see, it can get complicated depending on what's installed, so you may find something obscure not working.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Accidentally Made new User Path Variable, so real one got overridden!! - Similar Threads - Accidentally Made User

2. Is PATH is on the User Variables, or System Variable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is PATH is on the User Variables, or System Variable?: Hello, I have a problem with my PATH variable in my Windows 8.1 computer.1. Where it all starts:I installed SQLite on my computer, and then i want to test it from Command Prompt with this command:sqlite3 test.dbBut the output is:'sqlite3' is not recognized as an internal or...
  3. Is PATH is on the User Variables, or System Variable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is PATH is on the User Variables, or System Variable?: Hello, I have a problem with my PATH variable in my Windows 8.1 computer.1. Where it all starts:I installed SQLite on my computer, and then i want to test it from Command Prompt with this command:sqlite3 test.dbBut the output is:'sqlite3' is not recognized as an internal or...
  4. Changes of PATH Variable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changes of PATH Variable: Hello there,I changed the PATH Variable and added another directory to implement the given commands under DOS.The strange thing is, that this works fine as Administrator and absolutely not, when logged in with a non-administrator account.What do I do wrong?Kind regards...
  5. Changes of PATH Variable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changes of PATH Variable: Hello there,I changed the PATH Variable and added another directory to implement the given commands under DOS.The strange thing is, that this works fine as Administrator and absolutely not, when logged in with a non-administrator account.What do I do wrong?Kind regards...
  6. How to get User Path Variables?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to get User Path Variables?: Hey there, I coded some Javascript Node.js, so that I could many of my PATH variables easily. But, when I try `PATH` in my Command Prompt, I get both the User Variables and the System Variables. Is there any way, that I can get only the USER Variables, so that I can append...
  7. Path environment variable empty after attempting to add new path

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Path environment variable empty after attempting to add new path: After trying to install ffmpeg using the guide in the link below, my path variable only includes the path to ffmpeg. I don't have any backups whatsoever and have closed the command prompt and restarted ever since. Is there a way to find out what programs need their path to be...
  8. regarding path variable of user variable of environment variable

in Windows 10 Customization
    regarding path variable of user variable of environment variable: please help me fast, I accidentally deleted path variable of user variable ..... I want to restore it. the real situation is I cannot run android studio project and it shows error - " unable to start daemon process............This problem might be caused by incorrect...
  9. New Path editor gone after variable delete

in Windows 10 Support
    New Path editor gone after variable delete: I was happy to use new PATH editor: Windows 10 finally adds a new Path editor but I noticed, if you delete PATH variable, and create it again, the new editor is gone and replaced with old editor. Is it possible to restore new editor? 157649
  10. Environmental variable/path

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Environmental variable/path: Hello community, I need some help. I was attempting to download Oracle JDK/JRE and somehow corrupted my path. Can anyone tell me the default path setting that I need to restore? I appreciate your help....