Windows 10: accidentally renamed file extensions in system32 folder, wont startup

Discus and support accidentally renamed file extensions in system32 folder, wont startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hello everyone, i ran a command that was suppose to rename every file extension in a folder to the jpg file, but forgot that the default folder was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tenhell, Dec 23, 2016.

1. tenhell Win User

accidentally renamed file extensions in system32 folder, wont startup

hello everyone, i ran a command that was suppose to rename every file extension in a folder to the jpg file, but forgot that the default folder was system32 in cmd. I even ran CMD as admin, so it renamed quite a few. After restarting my computer obviously failed to start up. I tried windows repair but it couldnt fix it.

Is there any way on getting access to the system32 folder on the windows 10 iso? so i can copy those files back?

So example of the issue would be a file named dog.dll is now dog.jpg.

Thanks in advance!

:)

tenhell, Dec 23, 2016
  2. tommylux Win User

OSK popping up when software Run As Admin

Been looking for a resolution for ages.. originally on win 7 and upgraded to wn10 and problem still Occurred. symptoms as per thread.. opens up when you run any admin tasks and on startup, even with the registry and settings set to disabled. Not in any startup
    folders or startup registry settings etc.. I decided to rename the osk.exe in the system32 folder and this seemed to do the trick for me.

You need to change owner for the osk.exe and then add modify permissions to the file in order to rename to osk-disable.exe

Couldn't see any event logs post rename

tommylux, Dec 23, 2016
  3. Need to change download format from Word pad to .pdf

If you know for sure it's a .PDF file type, all you need to do is rename the file from the existing file extension to .PDF. For this you need to disable "hide extensions for known file types" setting in Folder Options > View tab.

Then right-click the file, click rename and change the extension to .PDF.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 23, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you know exactly what you've done, you can reverse that by not booting from Windows, but by booting using either
    a. a Win 10 install medium, and navigating to a command prompt and making the changes
    or
    b. Getting e.g. Kyhi's boot DVD/drive from the Software and Apps section here, booting from that, and in a familiar Windows environment make the changes you need.

Alternatively you may be able to use System Restore if you have usable restore points, and running System Restore by booting from a Win 10 install medium and then starting System Restore.

Note: we strongly and repeatedly recommend the use of disk imaging (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) which lets you restore your PC to a previously working state without tech. help.

dalchina, Dec 23, 2016
  5. tenhell Win User
    Does option B or something similar offer the following, which i feel would be easiest way to fix this:

1. have access to what the original system32 folder would look like upon a fresh install, i only need the files in that folder, not the sub-folders or any contents in that. That way, i can just do a simple drag and drop style (copy and paste) to my drive and it should boot okay.

tenhell, Dec 23, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, from what you posted it sounded as if you needed to rename files. If you are able to do that, and the system boots, fine, hopefully.

If system restore works (launched from a bootable win 10 install medium) that would be ideal.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. accidentally renamed file extensions in system32 folder, wont startup - Similar Threads - accidentally renamed file

2. What happens if you rename a file extension to a ransomware extension?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What happens if you rename a file extension to a ransomware extension?: Hi,So I was reading about the SOVA ransomware when suddenly I started wondering about what would happen if I changed the file extension of a safe file to a ransomware's file extension for example, picture.jpg converts to picture.djvu, the extension for one of the oldest...
  3. I accidentally renamed system32 files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I accidentally renamed system32 files: I tried to rename some files on my pc to 1, 2 , 3.. by windows powershell and idk how did this happen but my system32 files renamed to 1 2 3 4 5 6.... And i tried to restart my pc and i taked an error named "Log file: C\Windows\sytem32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt"And i searched...
  4. I accidentally renamed system32 files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I accidentally renamed system32 files: I tried to rename some files on my pc to 1, 2 , 3.. by windows powershell and idk how did this happen but my system32 files renamed to 1 2 3 4 5 6.... And i tried to restart my pc and i taked an error named "Log file: C\Windows\sytem32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt"And i searched...
  5. I accidentally renamed system32 files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Renaming folders and files

Renaming folders and files: File folders and documents won't rename without refreshing. New folder won't appear without refreshing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-folders-and-files/d173a7c3-230a-4a92-b71b-bb8308c3730d
  7. Bug in massive file extension renaming

Bug in massive file extension renaming: I'm found a wrong behavior in changing the file extension for more than one file. Having selected many file by the standard win10 file browser Win10 v1909, I try to change the extension in one shot by F2 key, by context menu, by Ribbon too. The regular box on the file name...
  8. Rename file folder

Rename file folder: When I am trying to rename a number of files. I can do one and then for the next ones the program says the file is in use and cannot be changed. It is not in use anywhere. In order to rename, I have to close right out of File Explorer and then go back in and rename one file...
  9. Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File

in Windows 10 Customization
    Renaming Multiple File Extensions With a Batch File: Hello, Pretty self explanatory question, but not turning up the results I need. If I use a command line window to change a bunch of file types, I can do the following: CD LocalDirectory\Is\Located\Here REN *.jpg *.tif This changes every file that has a JPG extension to...
  10. system32 folder opens at startup

in Windows 10 Support
    system32 folder opens at startup: Hello, This has been a long standing problem that I have not been able to find an answer for on my own. I am unsure of what caused this to happen initially, but when I was using Windows 7 the system32 folder (C:\WINDOWS\system32) would open whenever I started my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rename exe file opener in system 32