Windows 10: Accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home, can't go back?

Discus and support Accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home, can't go back? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Well I was never a fan of this downgrade method (it creates "Frankenbuild" i.e. a mishmash) Best would be backup and clean install and copy back...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Esmonde, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Esmonde Win User

Accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home, can't go back?

I honestly would do the backup method but I have no where to store the backup and I'm broke.

Esmonde, Aug 18, 2017
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Do you still have that Windows.old folder? How big is it? Right click the folder and look at properties , then just post back how big the folder is. No pics necessary. Just the size of the folder.

EDIT: The reason I am asking, is you can pull your personal data and files from it (in the USERS folder) and copy to an inexpensive thumb drive ( about $8-$10) to save them. If you could do that, a clean install would not be a disaster.

Some info here.

What is the Windows.old Folder and How Do You Delete It?

f14tomcat, Aug 18, 2017
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you have enough space on your hard drive, you can shrink the OS partition, create a partition at the end of the drive to hold a backup, then do a clean install after deleting all the partitions in front of the data/backup partition you created.

NavyLCDR, Aug 18, 2017
  4. Esmonde Win User

The Windows.old folder was deleted when I rolled back. Could I put some files onto my laptop and then put them back on when I have clean installed windows?

Esmonde, Aug 18, 2017
  5. Hi,

Would you accept an "Unused valid pro key" if one was available to you?

Passed on newly purchased pro key to help out..... has it solved the problem?

Lottiemansion, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home, can't go back? - Similar Threads - Accidentally upgraded Pro

2. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro: Hi,I have a Windows 10 pro key but when I enter it, it says the key can't be used.I don't understand why, it's a valid key.Any help please?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-upgrade-from-windows-10-home-to-pro/e9e8b354-5e9f-4342-a304-fad5d2641f52
  3. Can't upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home

Can't upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home: Hello,Recently in my job I received a new laptop with Windows 10 Home already installed on it. I also received Windows 10 Pro OEM DVD disc.I tried to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro using Activation screen and "Change product key" option. I tried entering the...
  4. Going back to windows 10 home edition from pro

Going back to windows 10 home edition from pro: I recently bought a laptop which came pre installed with windows 10 home edition.I found a professsional key but it seems like it was a used one.I was able to upgrade to windows 10 pro but was not able to activate it.Now is it possible to go back to windows 10 home edition by...
  5. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro: Okay, so my Dell Studio 540 this computer is running Windows 10 Home, but I want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Backstory: I had Windows 10 Pro on my laptop, but Windows 7 Home Premium on my desktop, so I had uninstalled 10 Pro from my laptop and fresh-installed an...
  6. Can't upgrade from home to pro

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't upgrade from home to pro: Someone I know needed a new laptop. I bought one cloned the ssd to a new one and after that I put it back together. The old laptop had windows 10 home with a digital license installed. The new one came with a windows 7 pro key on a sticker. I tried changing the key to the...
  7. Can't upgrade from win 10 home to pro

Can't upgrade from win 10 home to pro: Hi I have Dell inspiron 5670 and running windows 10 home. I purchased windows 10 pro via storehaven't got any product key and when I tried installing it says it can't finish the upgrade and the error code is - 0xc004f200 I purchased this laptop with the windows 10 home...
  8. Accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home, can't go back

Accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home, can't go back: Hi, earlier on today I read an article saying how you can update your Windows to Professional edition for free. I entered the key they provided and it did upgrade me to Pro. However, my windows now says I need to activate Windows. I obviously thought that the activation was...
  9. Can't upgrade from Home to Pro

Can't upgrade from Home to Pro: I purchased Windows Pro OEM back in 2016. Now with build 17758.1 it won't let me upgrade from home to pro! It says that I don't have a valid digital license or product key. How can I get it to let me upgrade to pro? Thanks....
  10. Can't upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro

Can't upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro: I have just purchased this upgrade inside Microsoft Store. However, when I go to Activation -> Go to the store -> Install, it says "Something happened and we can't start the upgrade". Something! No error code, no hint, not even a log in the event viewer, NO-TH-IN-G! I tried...