Windows 10: Account automatically locks after login

Discus and support Account automatically locks after login in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So, here is the situation, Win10 boots up fine, after entering the username password, the account automatically locks itself taking me back to the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Mexican712, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Account automatically locks after login

So, here is the situation, Win10 boots up fine, after entering the username password, the account automatically locks itself taking me back to the login screen. Just for clarification, is NOT that the account is locked in the sense of failed passwords. The correct password is entered, it looks as if it will load the desktop, but then it takes me back to the login screen. It acts as if Win+L was type after entering the password or something like that because I can see "Locking" just before the login screen appears again.
    I have tried to boot into safe boot but the same thing happens there.
    I was able to create another account and that one logs in fine. I even removed the password of the first account, but same behavior. If I try enough times, I can vaguely see what looks like Edge has loaded with several tabs. So, there is something under the first account that forces a lock or something similar.

Has anyone experienced something like this? This is my in-laws laptop so, I cannot just reset it or create a replacement account because all their stuff is in that first account. Any suggestions?

:)

Mexican712, Jan 3, 2018
  2. tuhin16 Win User

Can not login to windiows using previous user account after update windows10

I input correct password, it login but lock automatically at the same time. If input wrong password, display password not correct. i tried to change the password, but same case. creating another user account it login fine also Administrator account login
    fine. But my previous user account not login successfully, login but lock automatically.

tuhin16, Jan 3, 2018
  3. M.Varis Win User
    Locked out of Windows after Fall Creators Update

I tried the Microsoft Account password reset.

It did not affect the issue - the account is still automatically locked after login.

Any other ideas how to fix this?

I need to get the account usable again.

M.Varis, Jan 3, 2018
  4. pepanee Win User

Account automatically locks after login

Welcome to these forums.

I'm slightly confused: You were able to remove the password from the account that auto-locks? How did you manage to do that? Because if you can log into that account without having it auto-lock you out, then we can try some things *Smile

pepanee, Jan 3, 2018
  5. So, I used a Win10 usb boot to change a few files to allow me for CMD access. That, gave me the opportunity to create a new account and also remove the password (running "control userpasswords2") of the first account. However, even when there is no password (after selecting the account I click on "Sign In") it briefly gives me "Welcome" and right after I can see "Locking". So, unfortunately, no progress.

Mexican712, Jan 3, 2018
  6. pepanee Win User
    pepanee, Jan 3, 2018
  7. The strange part is that on the newly created account, I am able to login fine and the desktop loads correctly. However, not with the first account. My thinking is, I would expect both accounts to behave the same if it is something in the startup. So, I am wondering, if I will be able to get an accurate list of what runs on startup for that specific account if I use the other account to get the list.

Mexican712, Jan 3, 2018
  8. pepanee Win User

pepanee, Jan 3, 2018
  9. Here is a video of the issue:
    [youtube]Tk627Ws2iWg[/youtube]
    The "Alane" account is the first/original that has the issue. The other is the one I was able to create afterwards and works fine. I had to reenable a password because "runas" requires that username you are trying to run the command as has a password.

Running the startup list as suggested by pepane as the first username returns basically the same startup items as the new account with the addition of "Google Update" (Chrome?) and "Send to OneNote":
    (Not sure why the image does not link via "Insert Image URL")
    https://i.imgur.com/ZWWMkqa.jpg

Mexican712, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Account automatically locks after login - Similar Threads - Account automatically locks

2. Accounts automatically loggin in locked at startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accounts automatically loggin in locked at startup: I can't remember the right terminology for this.When I use the admin account on my mother's Win11 laptop to maintain her computer she's not very computer literate and I limited her to a standard account to save some hassles of her being tricked into doing stupid things, the...
  3. Accounts automatically loggin in locked at startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accounts automatically loggin in locked at startup: I can't remember the right terminology for this.When I use the admin account on my mother's Win11 laptop to maintain her computer she's not very computer literate and I limited her to a standard account to save some hassles of her being tricked into doing stupid things, the...
  4. Microsoft Account locks up my computer after login in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Account locks up my computer after login in: This is happening more and more, when i turn on my PC desktop computer and after I login, my computer is lockedup with a wait cursor and taskbar showing an "Microsoft Account" title. I clicked on it to see the app but nothing. It sat there for 5 minutes with nothing...
  5. Microsoft Account locks up my computer after login in

Microsoft Account locks up my computer after login in: This is happening more and more, when i turn on my PC desktop computer and after I login, my computer is lockedup with a wait cursor and taskbar showing an "Microsoft Account" title. I clicked on it to see the app but nothing. It sat there for 5 minutes with nothing...
  6. Microsoft Account locks up my computer after login in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. After restart local admin account automatically locked out

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    After restart local admin account automatically locked out: Hey everybody!something wearied happen to me.I have an local account the locaked after restart, after 15 min his open but again after new restart his locked again.any solution?...
  8. After restart local admin account automatically locked out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After restart local admin account automatically locked out: Hey everybody!something wearied happen to me.I have an local account the locaked after restart, after 15 min his open but again after new restart his locked again.any solution?...
  9. After restart local admin account automatically locked out

10. Laptop Locks After Login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Laptop Locks After Login: Hi, Whenever I log in, my laptop stays on the desktop for an odd second or two before going back to the lock screen. Please help me in resolving this issue.Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-locks-after-login/6d90abf6-6d62-4738-acb1-1fe9d629cd98