Windows 10: Account problem: "Ask a parent to help you with this part"

Discus and support Account problem: "Ask a parent to help you with this part" in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Did you also do the manual reboot I suggested? Yes, I have SSD so I disabled fast startup as you suggested, and followed the reboot procedure that you... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Andy Kay, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Andy Kay Win User

Account problem: "Ask a parent to help you with this part"

Yes, I have SSD so I disabled fast startup as you suggested, and followed the reboot procedure that you outlined.
    Fingers crossed Account problem: "Ask a parent to help you with this part" :)

Andy Kay, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Andy Kay Win User

I'm getting this Microsoft Account Problem:

"We need to fix your account (your password has probably been changed). Select here to fix it in the Shared Experiences setting."

When I comply, I get the message:

"Ask a parent to help you with this part. A parent needs to give permission before this account can sign in to services, such as Windows, Office, Outlook.com, OneDrive, Skype or Xbox. Call your parent over and have them select Next."

When I sign in with my Microsoft account and password, I get a page telling me that my child has tried to create an account and this process needs my permission.

Additonally, my Hotmail account tells me it needs fixing, and when I proceed it takes me to the same message.

My mother died thirty years ago and my father died twenty eight years ago, so I cannot comply.
    Also, I have no children.

Is there any explanation for these two problems?

Thank you for reading.

:)

Andy Kay, Apr 29, 2018
  3. Windows Family Safety blocking Google Chrome

Just had this problem. We found out that if the person who was the "parent" re-adds the other's person's account as a "child" and the "child" account attempts to open google chrome and asks to send an email to the "parent" allowing use. Once the "parent"
    account approves this the "parent" account can remove the "child" account and everything and google chrome works. I then invited the other person as an adult and hope that once they accept this the Xbox should work without asking to sign the "child" in, but
    we have not tested this.

dragonheart01, Apr 29, 2018
  4. Account problem: "Ask a parent to help you with this part"

Please help me... " Nokia n97 "

Every single number.. No i've tested in on my mothers phone and her ID isn't set on private but still doesn't show. When i miss the call it automatically sends me a message saying who called, well if there number isn't on private.

hamburglar1, Apr 29, 2018
  5. pyramid10 Win User
    Either you were hacked or you've entered the Twilight Zone.

pyramid10, Apr 29, 2018
  6. slicendice, Apr 29, 2018
  7. Andy Kay Win User
    Thanks for your help. I have opened that page successfully.

Andy Kay, Apr 29, 2018
  8. Account problem: "Ask a parent to help you with this part"

Great!

Now go Review recent activity (found under Security from the blue bar at top of your page) and check if someone has logged on using your account from a completely different country or location than you are in now. Please note that the accuracy is not that good, so if you see a place that is quite close to you, then it most likely was you.

If you find a login that you do not recognize, then click "secure my account now".

slicendice, Apr 29, 2018
  9. Now would also be a good time to make a new password, so this you should do, and finally if you want to enable 2.factor authentication, let me know so we can se that up.

2-factor authentication means you need another device or a phone number accepting SMS to accept a login to any MS service using a device that has never been logged on before. This makes it near impossible to hack your account, unless the hacker has your phone and your account credentials.

slicendice, Apr 29, 2018
  10. Andy Kay Win User
    There have been five sign-in attempts since 5-April, all same IP address, all look like me (one was an incorrect password but I recall getting that wrong whilst trying to address this issue at an earlier date). There doesn't look to be anything suspicious here. I have changed my password, and also found the route for setting up two-stage verification. Is there anything else I can do to try to get rid of this nuisance?

Andy Kay, Apr 29, 2018
  11. Well it seems your MS account is secured and never was compromised.

Now, what you need to do is to do a full virus scan of your system. I also recommend you empty your Web-browser cache.

If you use a 3rd-party AV scanner, then run that first and after that use the Windows Defender offline scanner. If you only have Windows Defender, then use that to do a full system scan.

Let me know if it finds anything.

If you did not find any infections then final step is for us to logout and re-login to your MS services using the new 2-step login.

I still suspect you have some sort of malware on your device so you might need to use some 3rd-party malware scanner or in worst case either manually remove the malware(which is tricky) or reinstall Windows.

slicendice, Apr 29, 2018
  12. Both myself and my wife are having the same issue on 2 different computers.
    Every few days that notification pops up telling us that there is a problem with our account that needs fixing, and that we need to get a parent to help.

Our accounts have not been compromised and we do not have any malware.

CaptObvious, Apr 29, 2018
  13. Account problem: "Ask a parent to help you with this part"

Hmmm...I remember having this issue at some point, but the issue somehow went away by itself. I never saw the parenting part, but I often got the "there is an issue with your MS account". Maybe it's just an Windows internal issue.

Have you tried to disable Fast Startup? It is known to cause a lot of weird behavior on some Windows machines. But disabling it is not recommended on devices with Spinning type hard drives because it slow down the boot process quite a lot. If on SSD you don't need Fast Startup.

Another thing to try is to reboot computer this way and see if the problem goes away:

• Press WINKEY + R
    • Type the following in the Box:
      Code: shutdown /r /t 0[/quote]

NOTE! Save all your work before running the command, because your computer will reboot the second you hit enter.

slicendice, Apr 30, 2018
  14. Andy Kay Win User
    Ran Norton full scan, no infections.
    Ran Malwarebytes, no infections.
    Cleared browser cache.
    Set up two-stage verification, logged out, and logged back in.
    Hope it goes away.
    Thanks for your help slicendice.

Andy Kay, Apr 30, 2018
  15. You're welcome.

Did you also do the manual reboot I suggested?

slicendice, Apr 30, 2018
Thema:

Account problem: "Ask a parent to help you with this part"

1. Account problem: "Ask a parent to help you with this part" - Similar Threads - Account problem Ask

2. Askes me to ask a parent to download when im logged in as the parent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Askes me to ask a parent to download when im logged in as the parent: I'm trying to download a game from the microsoft store and it askes me to ask a parent if i can get it when im logged in as and administrator and the parent....
  3. Askes me to ask a parent to download when im logged in as the parent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Askes me to ask a parent to download when im logged in as the parent: I'm trying to download a game from the microsoft store and it askes me to ask a parent if i can get it when im logged in as and administrator and the parent....
  4. My personal account asks for parental permission, I login with my account as instructed and...

My personal account asks for parental permission, I login with my account as instructed and...: HI Team,I have not been able to sign into my own Microsoft account as of today.My personal account asks for parental permission, I login with my account as instructed and it loops back to parent approval every time. I have used a different web browser to Edge also.All my...
  5. My child's account asks for parental permission, I login with my account as instructed and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My child's account asks for parental permission, I login with my account as instructed and...: For months now my child and I have been using Windows 11 on separate laptops. Every time my child logs in she is prompted to sign in to her Microsoft account. She does so and it says 'Parent or guardian consent is required for this account'. So I click 'I'm a parent or...
  6. My child's account asks for parental permission, I login with my account as instructed and...

My child's account asks for parental permission, I login with my account as instructed and...: For months now my child and I have been using Windows 11 on separate laptops. Every time my child logs in she is prompted to sign in to her Microsoft account. She does so and it says 'Parent or guardian consent is required for this account'. So I click 'I'm a parent or...
  7. Asking for parental permission...?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Asking for parental permission...?: I tried to open Firefox this morning, and was greeted with a tab telling me to ask for permission from an adult in my family. Not only am I 18 and NOT in a Microsoft family, this wasn’t happening even yesterday. I have no idea how to fix this, and any help online I’ve has not...
  8. I ask you to help me with this error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I ask you to help me with this error: this error[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-ask-you-to-help-me-with-this-error/fb016d35-fc7f-4260-a7cc-55b01b5ebb90
  9. Adult account being asked for parental consent - Microsoft Family

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Adult account being asked for parental consent - Microsoft Family: I have someone on my family account that is an adult, when he tries and access certain items he gets notifications he cannot due to parental controls. I never see any emails saying he is asking or notifications, etc. But none the less he is an adult and can access any of...
  10. Ask a parent or guardian for help, they need to add you to the family.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Ask a parent or guardian for help, they need to add you to the family.: Every time i try to download a game that is rated mature on windows 10 store it says exactly what i put n the title.. I accidentally put i was born in 2001 so i changed it to 1996 so that it knows im over 18. It still says that i am not old enough and i even tried disabling...