Windows 10: Account Unknown has full Security permissions on my own User - huh?

Discus and support Account Unknown has full Security permissions on my own User - huh? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Account Unknown(S-1-5-21-1345748419-2493160549-2943627078-1000) has full permissions in the "Advanced Security Settings" for my own user account on my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by glnz, Oct 2, 2016.

1. glnz Win User

Account Unknown has full Security permissions on my own User - huh?

Account Unknown(S-1-5-21-1345748419-2493160549-2943627078-1000)
    has full permissions in the "Advanced Security Settings" for my own user account on my Win 10 Pro 64-bit PC.
    What is it? Is this normal?

If I go to C:\Users\ , it lists four users:
    [Myself]
    Default.migrated
    Public.

If I right-click on [Myself] and hit Properties, then go to the security tab, it lists four "Group or user names:" with certain Permissions:
    SYSTEM with full permissions - all items checked
    Account Unknown(S-1-5-21-1345748419-2493160549-2943627078-1000) with the same full permissions - all items checked
    [Myself] with the same full permissions - all items checked
    Administrators with the same full permissions - all items checked

What is the Account Unknown(S-1-5-21-1345748419-2493160549-2943627078-1000), and how did it get there?

Two clues:
    1) My PC is dual-booting Win 7 Pro 64-bit and this Win 10 Pro 64-bit. I'm in the Win 10
    2) 15 minutes ago (and before checking this), I turned on Public file sharing so other PCs on my home network could see any documents I put in those Public folders or maybe vice versa. I do NOT have "Homegroup" turned on.

But wha' happening here?

:)

glnz, Oct 2, 2016
  2. debdrex Win User

Error code 0xA00F424F(0x80004005) when i try to use camera

Hi Robert,

The System account and my account both have all of the permissions checked. There's also an Account Unknown (S-1-5-21- a lot more numbers) that only has some permissions checked (Read & execute, List folder contents, Read). Home users has only partial permissions
    and Administrator has full permissions.

debdrex, Oct 2, 2016
  3. Bee23M Win User
    user properties

I am trying to delete an old user folder and an unknown account (has full permission and is preventing me)

Bee23M, Oct 2, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello glnz, *Smile

You will see "Account Unknown" for an account that is not currently available. This could be from an account you deleted that had permissions, or from an account on another computer that is not connected.

Either way, it's safe to remove any listed "Account Unknown" entries in permissions if you are sure it's for an account that will no longer need permissions for the item.

Brink, Oct 2, 2016
  5. glnz Win User
    Brink - thanks for suggestion.
    But I'm not sure about this at all.
    By the way, if I open a cmd and do the wmic (or wimc?) command to show all the accounts, this unknown one does not appear!
    What's the worst that could happen if I delete this unknown account from the security tab?

glnz, Oct 2, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    If it's not listed in the Registry, it may also be from a previous installation.

Account Unknown has full Security permissions on my own User - huh? [​IMG]

Edwin, Oct 2, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    "Account Unknown" is not an actual user account, but only a marker for an account that has either been deleted or not currently available/connected. It basically is saying that the long SID number is no longer associated with an account, thus "Account Unknown".

Removing "Account Unknown" from permissions will only affect the account it was for. If that account has been deleted, then there's nothing to worry about.

Brink, Oct 2, 2016
  8. glnz Win User

Edwin - good catch. The Account Unknown SID does NOT appear under HKEY_USERS in Win 10.

HOWEVER, as I said, my PC is dual-booting Win 7 Pro 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit. Guess what? My Account Unkown SID DOES appear under HKEY_USERS if I reboot into Win 7 !!! And that SID is my own user in Win 7 !!!

Now, in Win 7, I have two different Account Unknowns. I betcha they are from my Win 10 (and maybe its predecessor, my old Win 8/8.1.)

Stay tuned.

Thanks to you both for helping me find this.

glnz, Oct 2, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That indicates that you are accessing the file from your account on the other OS, and is why you get "Account unknown" for that account.

Brink, Oct 2, 2016
  10. glnz Win User
    Brink - yes, that makes sense.

11. RolandJS Win User
    And, don't forget to make routine OS and data partition backups, in case Windows decides to "go broke".

RolandJS, Oct 2, 2016
  12. loque Win User
    and if its listed in the registry like in my case then what? *Redface

loque, Jan 12, 2018
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Loque, *Smile

That is a list of SIDs for accounts on your computer.

Please provide more details about your issue.

Brink, Jan 12, 2018
  14. loque Win User
    Howdy!
    Here are the details:
    I had some issues with my windows 10: Unable to access boot device and trying to fix that issue i thought that it's a case of malware going on my PC and started looking through solutions and files when i have noticed that in my security tab under desktop items i have plenty of Users with full or special access named: S1-5-21- etc.
    I have tried removing the users on whats my desktop but:
    1) I can't remove the users on some items.
    2) Don't really want to go through all files and folders and do this manually.
    3) I have found out that by just copying an item from desktop, even a photo, to another location on the drive except C: when checking on the security tab those users are gone.
    I have attached some photos showing this. One of it is for avira DNS where i have extra permission entries than the usual.
    I have also added a photo with the reg key for admins.
    My general concern is that there is a hacker account with permission on my desktop items so it can steal my passwords and accounts!

Software Details :
    - I have avira PRO bought and running and scanned for viruses and rootkit scan. All clean!
    - I have adware running and scanned for malware, found some Pup. Optional. Legacy as showing in one of the 5 photos.
    - Drivers up to date for video card.
    - OS Version: Windows 10 64bit N. Yes the legal version.
    - CCleaner lates free version, running on a weekly basis.
    - Spybot search and destroy running again regularly.

Hardware details:
    - 120 Intel ssd drive windows dedicated only.
    - Intel i7 4790k OC to 4.4
    - Asus Mobo z97 Chipset
    - Gtx 10 80 ti MSI GPU
    - 16 Gb DDR 3 memory 2400 Mhz
    - Additional 1 TB SSD for games
    - 2 SSHD for contenct creation
    - 1 TB HDD For data.

Photos:

Hope this helps!

loque, Jan 13, 2018
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    loque,

An "unknown" in permissions is usually from an account that had accessed it, but the account is no longer available for whatever reason (ex: deleted account, accessed from another computer).

You can use Option Two in the tutorial below to get more specific details about the accounts on your computer to see if anything stands out in the report.

*Arrow View User Account Details in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Account Unknown has full Security permissions on my own User - huh? - Similar Threads - Account Unknown has

2. How to remove an Unknown Account that has Special permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove an Unknown Account that has Special permissions: I really hope this can be fixed because it's stressful knowing there is someone who has full access to my computer and I'm unable to remove them due to it, despite being an administrator whenever I try to it says 'Access Denied' so I'm unsure on how to remove them, for the...
  3. How to remove an Unknown Account that has Special permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove an Unknown Account that has Special permissions: I really hope this can be fixed because it's stressful knowing there is someone who has full access to my computer and I'm unable to remove them due to it, despite being an administrator whenever I try to it says 'Access Denied' so I'm unsure on how to remove them, for the...
  4. My windows security tab has a Unknown user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My windows security tab has a Unknown user: On one of my game folders there is a lock icon and I can't move any files from there. The name is: Uknown bunch of numbersI ran a viros scan on windows and no threads were found....
  5. My windows security tab has a Unknown user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows security tab has a Unknown user: On one of my game folders there is a lock icon and I can't move any files from there. The name is: Uknown bunch of numbersI ran a viros scan on windows and no threads were found....
  6. Full user permission

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Full user permission: Hi, recently i have been getting a bundle of errors and i think are mainly due to permission changes. My user is an admin yet i get an admin has blocked me from doing stuff device manager, services ... meaning cant access mcc exe. Also windows troubleshooters all get an error...
  7. Strange "Unknown" User Account on Security Tab

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange "Unknown" User Account on Security Tab: I happened to look at the Security tab of file properties and noticed a strange "Unknown" user account. The SID isn't listed in the registry under HKEY_Users and doesn't appear in Control Panel User Accounts. Should I delete this account? How can I figure out what it is?...
  8. Administrator Permissions and Two Unknown User Accounts?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Administrator Permissions and Two Unknown User Accounts?: I'm the only one who uses my PC with Windows 10. I noticed one day I had 3 user accounts. One named; "defaultuser0", one named; "Public", and one named; "Mike" I never set-up a 'Guest User' account so why did my computer show two accounts other than the one named "Mike" that...
  9. Unknown User Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unknown User Account: Hi, I want to get rid of an Unknown User Account and I don't know how to do it safely. The standard method doesn't apply because I can't see my Unknown User Account in Control Panel --> User Accounts. Matter of fact no matter where I look C:\Users, usrmgr.msc, netplwiz,...
  10. Unknown User Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unknown User Account: Hi I recently carried out a fresh windows 10 install, however when I boot up my laptop, two User Accounts appear, one is my own and the other has an ID of "KCUBMA5". If I try to log in to this account, it requires a password. I never created this account and when I try...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. account unknown in permissions

2. remove any listed account unknown entries in permissions in windows