Windows 10: Acer Aspire V showing very little free GB - please help me!

Discus and support Acer Aspire V showing very little free GB - please help me! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have had this laptop (Win10) for about 6 months and only use it for emails and storing my photos - I have about 1000 emails stored without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by moggie, Aug 22, 2017.

1. moggie Win User

Acer Aspire V showing very little free GB - please help me!

I have had this laptop (Win10) for about 6 months and only use it for emails and storing my photos - I have about 1000 emails stored without attachments in Thunderbird and 950 photos. No videos or music stored yet...........

I keep getting a message to the affect that my free space is very low. I am elderly and do not quite understand but I went into 'my pc' and it says '5 gb free out of 93gb'! When I had occasion to look a couple of months ago it said 40gb free.

Someone told me to look in C drive and see if there were any large files but I did not know how to do this - something about cmd box - I am lost and wary of doing anything complicated.

Why has it suddenly got to this state? I have done nothing unusual in the last few months except twice the laptop slowed right down and kept freezing recently and I tried to restore it to a few days earlier and it took an hour before it finally worked but said something like ' did not restore all files' however it did cure my problem and the laptop speeded up and was ok - I had to do this twice.

Does it matter I only have 5gb free and will my laptop stop at some time? What, in simple terms can I do please? At the time of the last freeze and attempt to restore I lost my Avast and had to repair it if that means anything.

Help anyone and thank you.

:)

moggie, Aug 22, 2017
  2. JediNickD Win User

Upgrade to Win10 from 7 using Assitant - stuck @ 99% installing

I'm on day 3. Please advise. I have an Acer Aspire 1410 with 60 GB of free

JediNickD, Aug 22, 2017
  3. TagSale Win User
    WU space problem on 32 GB netbook

Acer Aspire One Windows 10 CloudBook (MS Store Signature Edition) has 32 GB drive but only 10-12 GB free. WU requires 20 GB free for latest Win 10 update. How to resolve?

TagSale, Aug 22, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

A thousand emails on the computer, move them back to the server and set your email program to not store them on the computer. Move photos to a external drive.

With that much stored on your computer, no wonder why you are running out of space.

I keep everything on a Synology NAS on our home network and can access that data any time, along with keeping another copy on a iCloud drive. Hardly anything gets stored on our machines, since it gets lost, you are sol if you need that information.

I would also do a Disk Cleanup and CCleaner to get rid of other stuff taking up space. If you have Hibernate enabled, disable it in Command with powercfg /hibernate off.

bro67, Aug 23, 2017
  5. I am no expert but to help others to help you a scrrenshot of what is hogging all free space can help

• Download and install TreeSize Free
    TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs

• Launch TreeSize and in the Menu go to Scan > Select Directory > OS (C: )
    • If asked, select Restart as Administrator

• Resize the columns to clearly show names and sizes. Here is a link to the tutorial of how to manually do this in Windows Explorer and the same method can be used in TreeSize (There is no automatic resize option in Treesize)
    Size All Columns to Fit for Folder in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

• If you need further help with TreeSize there is an online manual
    JAM Software - TreeSize Free - Online Manual

• Take a screenshot of TreeSize, scroll down and take more screenshots if there is more information below
    Take Screenshot in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

• Attach the screenshots to your next post
    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums Windows 10 Tutorials

I haven't asked you to expand the TreeSize direcories at this time because that would create a lot of items and would need many, many screenshots but a member might ask you to use TreeSize again and expand some directories to see what is inside

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, Aug 23, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    Tree Size and WinDirstat are two very good programs. I send people over to Majorgeeks, since they scan files that they host out of their catalog and from author sites for any installers that could load crapware.

bro67, Aug 23, 2017
  7. Marko1401 Win User
    Use could storage for your photos. Any will do. Most probably you use a small scale SSD for your computer.
    Or - you could invest in another HDD provided your laptop can fit two drives.

However. I recommend you use could storage. Everything I have, that's important to me is in the could (And I code apps.)

Marko1401, Aug 23, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

The OP has a Netbook. I am surprised that it could even run Windows 10. You cannot even buy Netbooks anymore. Time for the OP to upgrade to a real laptop or convertible if they want a tablet and laptop.

bro67, Aug 23, 2017
  9. Marko1401 Win User
    Like reading about my mother.
    Netbooks died over 3-4 years ago with ultrabooks coming along.
    I agree. Not to ditch the netbook, fit another OS there - Linux mint or Chrome Os.

If the user is not very techy then Chrome OS it is, for a start.

Marko1401, Aug 23, 2017
  10. AndreTen Win User
    User specs and thread title don't match, so I suspect, that Tread title is correct (Aspire V). It's laptop (number of models, so we don't know nothing...), not netbook.
    @moggie, FrillyBits's advice is a good start. Check what's on this machine ... And if you have other drives (D: or something) you can move some of the files over.

AndreTen, Aug 23, 2017
  11. moggie Win User
    Thanks for info so far. I may have mislead you about the model I have. I looked in Acer details and it says it is Acer Aspire V3 - 371. SNID 44106331266 and it came with Win 10 64 bit installed if that means anything.
    I have done a few things you say but it now shows 10gb free from 92gb.
    When I look in 'this pc' it just shows Acer C drive with these figures and no other drives at all.
    As a non techy that is all I understand.
    I do have a 32gb memory stick which is unused. Should I put all my photos and emails that I mentioned earlier on to this?
    It said in the user book I got with the laptop/netbook!? that there is Acer Cloud but I cannot find it so do not know how to use it. I use Bing as my search engine and I have google also - so is cloud anything to do with these.

Thank you everyone for you help - but am still puzzled!

moggie, Aug 23, 2017
  12. spunk Win User
    The Aspire V is not a Netbook.
    Press the Windows key+X and choose Disk Management. Please attach a screenshot of the lower half of this window in your next post. If there is Unallocated Space, you can resize your C: drive.
    Meanwhile You can Cut and Paste your Pictures, Music, Documents into your Memory Stick, until you can get an External USB HDD.

spunk, Aug 23, 2017
  13. moggie Win User

I have just checked a few more things which might mean something to all you experts helping me.
    I went into something called Layout Folder? It said something like C:\files 47gb and system and reserved 39gb and a list of others of which Docs (where I store my photos) at 3gb - nothing else with gb or large mb!
    I went into Devices and apart from the usual like mouse, printer etc. there was one called Mass Storage and against it 'drive unavailable and driver error. Also another which said KDL-48WD653 - not connected.
    If this means anything - have I messed up somewhere in the pst?
    Finally, since all this happened and the message came about 'low free gb' when I plug in some of my memory sticks with photos and videos on them only some work and show in 'my pc' as drive 'd' and the others do not now work at all although they all work if I plug them into my son's laptop. Is this also anything to do with lack of free space?
    Thanks again.

moggie, Aug 23, 2017
  14. moggie Win User
    Sorry - have tried and do not know how to send a screenshot - nothing works!

moggie, Aug 23, 2017
  15. Did you buy the Acer V3 new or second hand or refurbished
    I ask because the Acer website says your model has a 500 GB harddrive so 92 GB is an unusual figure to have in 'This PC'
    We need to see the TreeSize screenshot to know what the real sizes are

I don't advise using Acer cloud or any of the others that come with the computer, almost always these are just marketing tricks that offer a small amount for free storage to get you attached to them but you have to pay for any real storage space. Plus you must be connected to the cloud (internet) when you want to see the files.
    If you are not tech savvy I suggest buying a good reputation USB Flashdrive and moving your photos etc onto that, 32 & 64 GB Flashdrives are cheap these days.
    If your photos are just happy snaps and the quality is not that important you can try reducing the size, the easy way is to convert them to JPEG (.jpg) format
    You can resize in bulk using FastStone Photo Resizer Free
    FastStone Photo Resizer Free

Remember, if you resize then email photos to your family and friends they have a copy if you need it plus you automatically have a copy in your Sent folder. That's better than the cloud *Wink

FrillyBits, Aug 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Acer Aspire V showing very little free GB - please help me! - Similar Threads - Acer Aspire showing

2. Acer aspire

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Acer aspire: hey so I was using my laptop the other day and I got a notification saying to restart so it could do a drive repair, I turned off my laptop and restarted the next day and now it is stuck in a blue error screen, the error that pops up is "critical process died", when I try to...
  3. Please help!!!! Very Important to me

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Please help!!!! Very Important to me: Hi there,As a normal person, I use Windows Defender for scanning and removing virus, worms, spyware,... And some thing very bad happened to me when I was scanning for viruses. I start scanning on this morning, after scanning done, remove some trojan and then somehow, It...
  4. little help please

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    little help please: alright, i recently got an office computer for free. asus h81m-c mobo,i3 4170,1x4 gb ram,500 gb 7200RPM HD i added i more stick of ram, A gpu, a 500gb ssd, noctua fan up front. the OS is windows 7. ive completed the updates to get the OS current. i would like to install...
  5. acer aspire 3 help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    acer aspire 3 help: so my daughter bought a acer aspire 3 laptop, doesnt get on with 10 so asked if i could put 7 on it i have 3 genuine 7 discs but this laptop doesnt have a dvd drive. i made a bootable usb with rufus but it wont boot from usb googled for help and found i need to change from...
  6. Acer Aspire E15-522: Urgent Issue - Please Help

Acer Aspire E15-522: Urgent Issue - Please Help: Hello So today I was playing a Virtual Reality Game called "Second Life" when my whole laptop just froze up and restarted on me without warning or anything I was no where near my laptop when it happened also I was around no lag issues or anyone at all. I have had the...
  7. help please, my acer aspire keeps freezing

help please, my acer aspire keeps freezing: my acer aspire keeps freezing, randomly, have to manually switch off and reboot each time. thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-please-my-acer-aspire-keeps-freezing/238df101-9a95-46a4-a567-2381684ae975
  8. Disabling touch screen for Acer Aspire V 15

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disabling touch screen for Acer Aspire V 15: I currently have Windows 10pro on my Acer. There is no damage to the screen but during an update from 8 - 10 the screen starts ghosting with bubbles of what look like pressure points. There is no way to stop it and you cannot get into any of the control or other programs. I...
  9. A little help please

in Windows 10 Support
    A little help please: Hello guys! I have an asus n56vv and I recently mounted an ssd and placed the old hdd in the optical caddy so I can use both of them. Of course the ssd has the os on it, because that was the whole idea of upgrading. However, I am having some problems. First, the hdd does not...
  10. Acer Aspire V keeps freezing - help please!

in Windows 10 Support
    Acer Aspire V keeps freezing - help please!: I am a newbie relatively speaking. My laptop is superb but...........as I go thru the day using it the screen I am on (any screen) suddenly freezes and the only way I can get it back to were I was working is to press Ctrl-Alt-Del (sometimes two or three times and then click...