Windows 10: Acer laptop: BIOS update, worth it?

Discus and support Acer laptop: BIOS update, worth it? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I own an Acer E5 575G-5622 laptop. Recently bought this machine, it came with 1.12 BIOS version. If I see drivers for my laptop, it also shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AlphaRomeoChrli, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Acer laptop: BIOS update, worth it?

Hello, I own an Acer E5 575G-5622 laptop. Recently bought this machine, it came with 1.12 BIOS version. If I see drivers for my laptop, it also shows me BIOS updates. Currently v1.29 BIOS update is available for this machine.

My question is that is it worth it to upgrade to latest BIOS version? I have read on the internet that it is often very risky to update BIOS as it most probably would lead to corruption of boot loader. If that was the case, why is Acer still shipping BIOS updates for the laptop?

If it is worth to upgrade BIOS, what are the procedures and precautionary steps to take in account?

Thank you!

:)

AlphaRomeoChrli, Jan 30, 2018

2. Windows 10 upgrade fails with 0xC1900101-0x20017 -- Steps to Fix

HELP please!!

I have an Acer Aspire 4740G laptop with Intel I5 processor (4 cores) and 4MB RAM. The Acer BIOS is simple in the extreme - there is no option to disable any of the cores.

Windows 7 SP1 is installed and is complete with all current updates. It is a recent "clean" installation, activated, and with no other software loaded. It is not overclocked. Only the native Win. 7 drivers are installed (no Acer drivers).

My BIOS version is 1.10 (dated Nov 2010) and is the latest version listed on the Acer support website. Acer is notoriously slow with BIOS updates - I do not expect them to update this BIOS anytime soon, if at all.

The Win. 10 update site indicates that the 4740 laptop has specifications suitable for upgrade. In fact it was working well with Win. 10 loaded during the earlier stages of the Windows 10 insider program (but not the later stages).

All ideas will be appreciated.

JayJay1946, Jan 30, 2018
  3. Monkey57 Win User
    Malware? Cursor moves on its own

"I disabled it in device manager,

i have also uninstalled it and left my laptop still on and it still does the same thing even with the device uninstalled.

I have now re-installed but no difference"

Tap F1 Key - Go to Bios- Change Touchpad: from Advanced to Basic.

What is the exact model of the Acer Laptop?

Check for Bios updates on the Acer website

There could be a hardware issue with the touchpad, if so, completely disabling it and only using a mouse may be the least expensive option.

Monkey57, Jan 30, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

Acer laptop: BIOS update, worth it?

I'd probably do upgrade in your place - there have been 7 updates since the August 2016 version you are running (1.12) and the current 1.29. Their release notes are extremely brief and so it isn't really clear what they fixed though.

This is from the last one - note they can't even spell "Windows" properly which does question Acer quality control but none the less 7 versions is a significant amount of fixes so I'd probably do it. Code: How to update the BIOS: Click "ZAA_129.exe" under Winodows mode Release Note: 1. Update GOP to 1066 and vbios to 1051. 2. Update EC to v1.10. 3. Update Microcode.[/quote] Product support

If you decide to, make sure your battery is charged and AC power connected. Mostly BIOS update problems are due to losing power half way through. Then just click on ZAA_129.exe

I've never had a problem doing BIOS updates (not that that means anything of course).

5. hawkman Win User
    looking at the description 3- Microcode,

have to assume its a Spectre/Meltdown fix.

Roy

hawkman, Jan 30, 2018
  6. lx07 Win User
    Doubt it as it was released last September. Who knows what it does - Acer don't say certainly.

7. There is something more on the Internet by saying "Don`t fix it if it aint broke". Some people suggest me not to update BIOS UNLESS I am doing it for a very profound reason. Acer is too lazy to dispatch BIOS updates with proper change logs. Now I am stuck in the middle of my decision, should I proceed or not?

AlphaRomeoChrli, Jan 30, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

That is good and sensible advice applying to almost anything.

I would - but then I'm just some random person on the internet.

Only you can decide - if you have no issues then the safest would be not to bother. If you do have issues then upgrade - even if you don't know what the update does (as they don't say) it might fix it. If you are like me then you'll want to upgrade anyway (even if you don't have any problems) or it will annoy you being on an old version.

I don't think there is a correct answer but updating BIOS isn't normally a dangerous procedure. Certainly I couldn't find any cases of applying 1.29 causing anyone any issue and it has been out 4 months now.

9. Word Man Win User
    I have to agree that the BIOS update should be done but I have no better reasons that the ones that lx07 stated - newly acquired laptop, 7 BIOS updates behind - it would chap my *** to no end. Given the aforementioned power supply precautions I typically go for it whether "needed" or not.

My opinion only but I think the pervasive advice against BIOS upgrades sometimes goes a bit too far in the F.U.D. department.

Word Man, Jan 30, 2018
  10. On an OEM system, I always apply a BIOS update. It's been tested for that exact hardware.

On a custom built system, like my tower, I always take a look at what the update "fixes" and see if any of it applies to my configuration before deciding.

DeaconFrost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Acer laptop: BIOS update, worth it? - Similar Threads - Acer laptop BIOS

2. My Acer laptop is stuck on Acer screen updating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Acer laptop is stuck on Acer screen updating: The computer is stuck on the Acer screen and says "Please wait while we install a system update". I tried to update my laptop and during that process it said that the PC had to reboot so I checked reboot box and has been stuck ever since. I did install a 3rd party updater a...
  3. My Acer laptop is stuck on Acer screen updating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Acer laptop is stuck on Acer screen updating: The computer is stuck on the Acer screen and says "Please wait while we install a system update". I tried to update my laptop and during that process it said that the PC had to reboot so I checked reboot box and has been stuck ever since. I did install a 3rd party updater a...
  4. My Acer laptop is stuck on Acer screen updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. BIOS Update on Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BIOS Update on Laptop: Hi I am using Lenovo ideapad 3i. I bought it around One and a half years ago new. I got Bios updates like 3 times before and also updated them without knowing that bios updates are serious updates. Anyways, Currently i have a Optional Bios update on my laptop which i haven't...
  6. BIOS Update on Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BIOS Update on Laptop: Hi I am using Lenovo ideapad 3i. I bought it around One and a half years ago new. I got Bios updates like 3 times before and also updated them without knowing that bios updates are serious updates. Anyways, Currently i have a Optional Bios update on my laptop which i haven't...
  7. Which BIOS update for ACER Extensa 5630Z?

Which BIOS update for ACER Extensa 5630Z?: Hello. By looking HERE, I can see a lot of different BIOS releases. This laptop came with Win Vista originally but I have installed W10 on it. I have a minor issue with a pcmia cardbus controller (O2) that says that it cannot find free resources to work (code 12). It's not...
  8. Months worth of updates?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Months worth of updates?: I just received a lenovo laptop from a friend, they stopped using the laptop about three years ago. It was running really slow and I realized it was 39 months behind on windows updates. I got it to 37 months and it runs much better but it took hours to update it to each one....
  9. Acer laptop update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Acer laptop update: I have an Acer laptop which is about 5 years old. I've only just started using it regularly in the last four months. It started running slowly so I thought I'd better shut it down and restart it. I found where to do that but all I have now is a green screen with the words...
  10. Downgrade Acer Laptop BIOS

Downgrade Acer Laptop BIOS: Hey Guys! A few weeks ago I updated my BIOS of acer Aspire E1-572G to the latest version 2.17. Since then my laptop has had many problems and now I would like to downgrade to an older version. The problem is that acer uses a utility called "InsydeFlash", this utility has a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. zaa_129.exe