Windows 10: Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Edge and default PDF-reader.

Discus and support Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Edge and default PDF-reader. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I've been looking for a solution for my problem for months now. Since I have Windows 10 on my computer, the default pdf-reader is constantly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by xpoes, Mar 22, 2017.

1. xpoes Win User

Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Edge and default PDF-reader.

Hi,
    I've been looking for a solution for my problem for months now.
    Since I have Windows 10 on my computer, the default pdf-reader is constantly changed back to Microsoft Edge, despite all my attempts to make Acrobat Reader DC my default one.
    I have made the change of defaults many times and in many ways.
    In "Settings" under "Default Apps" "Set defaults by app", "Choose default applications by protocol", "Choose default applications by file type", I've done it.
    I've tried this, from an elevated command line prompt:
    Code: FTYPE pdffile=C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe "%1" ASSOC .pdf=pdffile[/quote] and many more things, but alas..
    Neither Adobe nor Microsof seem to be over-concerned by it.
    Is there a solution for my problem?

:)

xpoes, Mar 22, 2017
  2. b283s Win User

Windows 10 threshold upgrade changes program default for PDF's

Although they improved the embedded Edge PDF reader in this release. Microsoft changed the default program for all pdf's from Acrobat Reader to Edge. You need to change default program back to Adobe or every time you open a saved PDF it launches Edge
    with the less functional version of the PDF reader.

b283s, Mar 22, 2017
  3. graye Win User
    PDF reader

Remove??? Previous versions of Windows never had a PDF reader....

Is it possible that you had Adobe Acrobat Reader installed before Win10. And if so, then you just need to go install it again in Win10.

Afterwards just set the default app for opening PDFs from Edge to Acrobat Reader

How to ditch Microsoft Edge as your default PDF reader on Windows 10

graye, Mar 22, 2017
  4. Corelogik Win User

Not sure if it will help, but I always find the file I want to open, then right click > properties and set it from there.

Corelogik, Mar 22, 2017
  5. xpoes Win User
    Yes, I know, but that's 3 moves: right-click, then select Open with, and then select Acrobat Reader *Sad
    What I want is 1 move: just click on the file so that it opens with the program that I want it to open with *Smile
    And the other thing of course is, that I'm forced to use something that I don't want to use..*Banghead

xpoes, Mar 22, 2017
  6. Corelogik Win User
    If your preferred app isn't selected opening the way I said should have a box labeled "always use this app". If it does, tick that box.

If that doesn't work, I don't have any other options.

Corelogik, Mar 22, 2017
  7. xpoes Win User
    yes, I can do that, and believe me, I've tried, but then the next day (or the next time you turn on your PC)....
    back to the Microsoft preferred defaults *Devil

xpoes, Mar 22, 2017
  8. Corelogik Win User

Ok, just thought I'd mention it since I don't recall you doing so. I don't have any other ideas then. I don't use acrobat, I use foxit, I've never had this problem.

Good luck finding a fix.

Corelogik, Mar 22, 2017
  9. found this thread where an user claims for a workaround, but I did not understand what it is, maybe you will: Stop EDGE from switching to PDF default |Adobe Community

also, you would maybe give a try at this: How to Stop Edge From Hijacking Your PDF or HTML Associations? - be sure to first backup your registry editor, just in case *Wink

btw do you use Edge as default browser? it could be that the issue, if you do... if not, try links above. I read a tutorial days ago about disabling some stuff in Edge, but cannot find it anymore; I'm not even sure it was here, at this point, but if I'll catch it I'll tell

brainvision, Mar 22, 2017
  10. xpoes Win User
    I've done this, it works until the next time that you restart your PC *Sad

that looks interesting, I'll try that tomorrow!

Firefox

thanks,

xpoes, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Edge and default PDF-reader. - Similar Threads - Acrobat Reader Microsoft

2. A problem with acrobat reader reading pdf

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A problem with acrobat reader reading pdf: Hello I know I may ask on the acrobat community, but I tried there many times finding no solution ever worksThe error is : An error exists on this page. Acrobat may not display the page correctly. Please contact the person who created the PDF document to correct the problem....
  3. A problem with acrobat reader reading pdf

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A problem with acrobat reader reading pdf: Hello I know I may ask on the acrobat community, but I tried there many times finding no solution ever worksThe error is : An error exists on this page. Acrobat may not display the page correctly. Please contact the person who created the PDF document to correct the problem....
  4. A problem with acrobat reader reading pdf

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge: Over the course of last year, we worked hard on building a powerful PDF reader that offers compatibility, reliability, and security for you and your organization. The feedback we received from you from the Edge Insider builds has been really encouraging, and here are some...
  6. Microsoft Edge PDF reader alternative

Microsoft Edge PDF reader alternative: Hello, I have this issue I am having trouble with. I have a Microsoft surface. My surface got updated this morning. Before then, I could read all the pdf-s in Microsoft Edge application by moving the pages with my finger and then annotating/taking notes with my electronic...
  7. Default PDF reader keeps switching to Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default PDF reader keeps switching to Edge: I have a computer in my organization that keeps switching the default PDF reader to Edge. We have wiped the profile and rebuilt it, replaced the laptop with a new fresh image to no avail. The users default PDF reader keeps switching from Adobe DC Pro to Edge. We do not...
  8. Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader

Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader: Can someone give me some insight into this issue? I installed Kaspersky Internet Security software on my computer. When I click on the Adobe Acrobat Reader icon on my desktop, I get a window that says, "Windows cannot find "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader...
  9. acrobat reader

acrobat reader: hi we renew our 365 service and now the documents scanned or snip tooled are no longer coming in a pdf form it's saying we don't have acrobat reader...
  10. default pdf reader

default pdf reader: I had foxit, it would not open pdf files as default, edge, firefox, chrome, they all opened as default depending which browser I was using. Uninstalled foxit, removed all traces with revo uninstaller. Reinstalled foxit as default. Went to apps and made foxit default....