Windows 10: Acronis Changed UEFI boot on Dell , how to undo

Discus and support Acronis Changed UEFI boot on Dell , how to undo in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a Dell Inspiron 660 with i5 processor. I recently installed a trial version of Acronis True Image 2016, and it modified the UEFI boot parameters... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by KenY7744, Jun 10, 2016.

1. KenY7744 Win User

Acronis Changed UEFI boot on Dell , how to undo

I have a Dell Inspiron 660 with i5 processor. I recently installed a trial version of Acronis True Image 2016, and it modified the UEFI boot parameters to produce a menu at bootup which offers 3 choices: Acronis True Image, Acronis System Report and continue boot. I uninstalled Acronis, but the boot options menu still comes up.

I went into Windows 10 settings, update & security, recovery, advanced startup and restarted the PC. In the advanced startup menu after restart, it has an option to change UEFI settings, which when I select it, it says RESTART TO CHANGE UEFI OPTIONS. This then restarts the PC and takes me into the BIOS setup. I've tried all the settings in the BOOT section, but when I go to LEGACY, I still get the Acronis True Image on restart. All the other BIOS settings have not removed the ACRONIS boot menu when I reset to UEFI boot.

I reinstalled Acronis 2016 to see if there was anything in the program to remove the boot options menu, but I couldn't find anything.

Help!!!

:)

KenY7744, Jun 10, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Change BIOS start-uo.

Hi jenoseel,

On a Dell the F12 button will bring up the temporary boot menu. But if you have UEFI BIOS, then it will not give you the opportunity to boot from a USB flash drive unless you make those changes . . . I have a Dell Workstation and understand the process . .

You can make those changes in UEFI BIOS, check to make sure your Backup boots, then undo the changes in UEFI and boot back into Windows.

Just take a note of the changes you make and then reverse those changes

A quicker method would be to put that flash drive into an old PC with legacy BIOS and just boot from it to check its integrity . . .

DaveM121, Jun 10, 2016
  3. Still Cannot Install 10 on Dell Precision T5610

I have a Dell Precision 5610 UEFI running win7 Pro that I can neither upgrade or install a clean version of Win 10 on.

It has a 256GB SSD and a 2 TB hard drive. Just office and won7, I removed Norton Security and Acronis.

I confess to not knowing how to configure the UEFI for boot order. I try a boot CD but even when it is selected in the UEFI, it sometimes does not take. My install method is to place the CD in a drive and run setup within Win7.

It will start its upgrade, but it will ALWAYS crash, 80073B92, 0x20009.

It does not work as a clean install or an upgrade. Is the UEFI screwing this up??? I saw something about a Rufus program. Or do I make a bootable flash drive?

Thank you!!!

HowardWexler, Jun 10, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Not sure if it is any helpful .... but .... do it the boot entries appear in the system configuration boot tab? I mean here ....
    Acronis Changed UEFI boot on Dell , how to undo [​IMG]

Have a check. Type (copy-paste) msconfig in seh/cortana and click on the resulting option "System Configuration". It will open with the "General" tab. Go to the "Boot" tab. If the other boot entries are there, select them one by one and delete.

Keep that one as shown in the above image.

About the UEFI settings, what happens if you load the optimized defaults in the BIOS?

5. KenY7744 Win User
    No; already checked that.

KenY7744, Jun 10, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Download: Visual BCD Download
    Install and run. You'll get an error message popup, ignore and click OK. On the left pane, under loaders, go thru the list, right click and delete any entry related to Acronis. Exit and reboot.

NOTE: Need Net Framework installed to run the program.

topgundcp, Jun 11, 2016
  7. KenY7744 Win User
    Unless I have misinterpreted the description of the Visual BCD tool, it does not appear to fix UEFI boot options. Acronis made some change to the UEFI boot options so that it was possible to boot into a recovery tool to access backup images in the event of an inability to boot normally to Windows.

Even after uninstalling Acronis TI 2016, even using Revo Uninstaller's deeper cleaning tools, I'm still having Acronis showing up when rebooting.

KenY7744, Jun 15, 2016
  8. fireberd Win User

I suspect you are going to have to do a complete reinstall to get it back working correctly. If you want to use Acronis, do not install the recovery feature, just install the program and make backups. Create an Acronis WinPE rescue disk that you can boot for recovery purposes.

On cleaning out Acronis. I had Acronis True Image and it failed me twice trying to do recoveries. It didn't get a third chance and I switched to Macrium Reflect and no issues so far. When I uninstalled Acronis, using Revo Pro Uninstaller there a multitude of Acronis registry entries that remained. I had to manually edit the registry to remove them.

fireberd, Jun 15, 2016
  9. RWOne Win User
    Not to say that there are not options to try, but have you gone to the Acronis boards with your issue?

RWOne, Jun 15, 2016
  10. KenY7744 Win User
    I am wondering whether doing a clean install of Windows 10 will resolve this issue. Does the UEFI secure-boot information reside on the boot HD or somewhere in the BIOS?

I did go on the Acronis boards, (and even got into chat with an Acronis support tech) but did not find anything that was useful. I guess I can go back there and try different search terms and see if I get some better solutions.

KenY7744, Jun 15, 2016
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    OldMike65, Jun 15, 2016
  12. Kyhi Win User
    It appears Acronis Loaded its boot loader before the windows boot loader... Based on your choices above, the continue passes the boot over to windows..

you can assign a drive letter using diskpart to the EFI partition, format the partition, and then use the command bcdboot c:\windows to re-write the boot files..

13. Steve C Win User

I had a bad experience with Acronis software not uninstalling correctly a while ago and now steer clear of their products. Many on this Forum like to use Macrium Reflect for imaging.

Steve C, Jun 17, 2016
  14. TRY THIS IS BEST
    GO CLICK RE-CREAT
    Acronis Changed UEFI boot on Dell , how to undo [​IMG]

THEN INSTALL BOOT LOADER
    U CAN ALSO SELECT BOOT LOADER ( black white like in win 7 and win vista )
    OR in ADVANDED USE LOADER LIKE IN WIN 10 it is in EASYBCD latest software

have fun

PratikUnleashed, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Acronis Changed UEFI boot on Dell , how to undo - Similar Threads - Acronis Changed UEFI

2. How to change boot order from legacy to Uefi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change boot order from legacy to Uefi: I recently unistalled the operating system so I installed windows 10 on legacy boot even tough my device support uefi can I change back to uefi boot after installing Windows 10 up to windows 11 and will I lose my data?...
  3. How to change boot order from legacy to Uefi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change boot order from legacy to Uefi: I recently unistalled the operating system so I installed windows 10 on legacy boot even tough my device support uefi can I change back to uefi boot after installing Windows 10 up to windows 11 and will I lose my data?...
  4. how to change legacy to uefi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to change legacy to uefi: I want to change my bios legacy to uefi bc my bios and old my laptop info: OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042 Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name BERNARD-LAPTOP System Manufacturer Acer System...
  5. Stuck in Boot - Undoing Changes

Stuck in Boot - Undoing Changes: Can't seem to find an answer to this particular issue... Tried resetting Acer PC w/ Windows 10 and it got stuck in reset. I tried rebooting and it got stuck on "Undoing Changes" and won't allow for me to make any move on troubleshooter due to there not being an Administrator...
  6. Booting problem after changing to uefi

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting problem after changing to uefi: After converting mbr to gpt using third party app and changing it to uefi from bios, the system is showing "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" then i change uefi and kept as default, then also it is not working...
  7. Acronis Cloned Disk fails to boot.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Acronis Cloned Disk fails to boot.: I have a backup plan that, aside from making regular Acronis images of the C drive, I also clone the C (Samsung 970 M.2 SSD) to D (Samsung 850 SSD). The saved images work perfectly with respect to recovering the C drive. However, I decided to test booting from the cloned D...
  8. Dell UEFI USB Boot

Dell UEFI USB Boot: Hi all, Sorry if this question has been asked before. I have already gone through a number of fixes but nothing seems to be working for me so far. I have been provided with a USB with an MDT image on to re-image a number of PCs but soon realised it was formatted in NTFS due...
  9. How to prevent Windows from changing the UEFI boot sequence?

How to prevent Windows from changing the UEFI boot sequence?: My desktop PC has two OSes, a copy of Windows 10 as well as a copy of MacOS Mojave installed via CloverEFI Bootloader for purposes like syncing the works with my MacBook Pro and iMac. Booting into UEFI Shell, I created a boot entry of CloverEFI and deleted the rest because...
  10. Starting Acronis UEFI Loader

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Starting Acronis UEFI Loader: Following a recent update to my build, the start screen became interrupted by the message above. The full message is: Starting Acronis UEFI Loader ... Select an item by using the keyboard: 1. Acronis True Image 2015 2. Acronis System Report c. Continue booting (It is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell precision 5530 acronis backup problem

2. how to restore uefi boot in a dell inspiron

3. starting acronis uefi loader

4. uefi loader continue booting acronis