Windows 10: Action Button and Panel Missing From 'Task Scheduler'

Discus and support Action Button and Panel Missing From 'Task Scheduler' in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Simple to state problem. My wife's machine, she has an 'action' button and 'action' panel on her 'task scheduler' window. There is no 'action' button... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Claude92102, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Action Button and Panel Missing From 'Task Scheduler'

Simple to state problem.
    My wife's machine, she has an 'action' button and 'action' panel on her 'task scheduler' window.
    There is no 'action' button on my 'task scheduler' window.
    Neither is there an 'action' panel on the right side of my 'task scheduler' window.
    Advise?

TNX in advance
    Claude

:)

Claude92102, Aug 31, 2015

2. Windows Defender - How to schedule a scan?

On a Windows 10 1709 system...

The quirk that is missing...

The task scheduler requires an Action.

Click the Action Tab

Click New to enter a new Action

Verify that the Action is "Start a Program" from the pulldown

Click browse to open the Windows defender folder

Scroll down to find the user interface exe "MSASCui.exe"

Click to select the Windows Defender Executable

Click the Open button

Click OK to close the Action window

Click OK to close the Schedule window

The task should now appear in the Scheduler window

Some optional tweaks:

Under the Condition's tab, you may want to check the "Wake the computer to run this task" box

Under the Settings tab, you may want to check the "Run this task as soon as possible
    after a scheduled start is missed" box

Under the Settings tab, you may want to check the "Stop the task if it runs longer than:" box and enter an appropriate time period for the system based upon past experience. On one system
    I maintain, the scans take just over 2 hours so I selected 4 hours in the pull-down.

end

James RShaw, Aug 31, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Can I schedule a recurring task every 90 days?

Looking for a reminder to pay your estimated taxes?

Start the Task Scheduler: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler

Create a new task: Create Task...

and step through the procedure to create a new task. When you get to the Triggers tab, press the New button. You'll be able to schedule your task to occur every 90 days.

BulldogXX, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Snakeyes Win User

Action Button and Panel Missing From 'Task Scheduler'

Just below the menu items, there is a row of icons, click on the icon to the right of the question mark.

Snakeyes, Aug 31, 2015
  5. I don't see a row of icons. Enclosed Screen shot.

Claude92102, Sep 1, 2015
  6. Snakeyes Win User
    I now see that. I can see you upgraded from Vista and that your task scheduler window is different. I suspect the only way to fix that is a clean install. Did your wife also upgrade her system from Vista? I suspect not.

Snakeyes, Sep 1, 2015
  7. Nope. we both upgraded from WIN 7. BTW: I Had the same problem in Win7.
    It was definately something that I did in Win7. And I don't know how to make it right.

Claude

Claude92102, Sep 1, 2015
  8. Snakeyes Win User

I guess that carried over with the upgrade. I suspect a clean install might be the only clear-cut solution. Best of luck

Snakeyes, Sep 1, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
    I selected "view" "options" and deselected all. Now my task scheduler window looks exactly the same as post #3 and I can't change it back as the "view" button on the menu bar has disappeared. Oops.

lx07, Sep 1, 2015
  10. Snakeyes Win User
    I shouldn't be laughing, but.... Someone at Windows 10 set a nice one-way trap. Definitely qualifies as a Windows 10 bug. Hopefully one of the other members of this forum can find a corrective action.

Snakeyes, Sep 1, 2015
  11. lx07 Win User
    It is a one way trap. Very annoying.

According to here Set MMC 3.0 Console Options you should be able to reset it by changing the console mode to "User mode - full access" (but it doesn't work for me).

I think I can see the problem in C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_taskschedulersettings_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10240.16384_none_52eb75789f0a2f2 a\taskschd.msc

It is the bits in bold I think - they don't exist in any of the other (many) copies of taskschd.msc Code: <ViewOptions ViewMode="Report" NoStdMenus="true" NoStdButtons="true" NoSnapinMenus="true" NoSnapinButtons="true" NoStatusBar="true" NoTaskpadTabs="true" ScopePaneVisible="true" ActionsPaneVisible="true" DescriptionBarVisible="false" DefaultColumn0Width="200" DefaultColumn1Width="0"/>[/quote] but if I change it makes Windows think it is unsigned (and still doesn't work). Guess I'll try and restore it from somewhere and see if that works. Grrrrr, what a PITA, that will teach me not to make a restore point *Wink

12. lx07 Win User
    Solution (for me anyway).

• *Start + R and type %appdata% <enter> to open roaming folder
    • Browse to Microsoft, then MMC
    • rename the file taskschd to taskschd_old
    • Open task scheduler - this will create a new taskschd configuration file in %appdata% with default settings.
    • Delete taskschd_old (if you want)
    • Don't untick all options in View/customize view or you get stuck again *Smile

Action Button and Panel Missing From 'Task Scheduler' [​IMG]

Action Button and Panel Missing From 'Task Scheduler' [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Action Button and Panel Missing From 'Task Scheduler' - Similar Threads - Action Button Panel

2. the bluetooth toggle is missing from my setting and action panel

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    the bluetooth toggle is missing from my setting and action panel: the Bluetooth connection was working fine in the morning but when I was going to use it in the afternoon it the toggle for Bluetooth was gone but the program is there is the control panels program menu It disappeared from the Device ManagerWhen I click View: Show hidden...
  3. Help My windows defender scan schedule task is missing from the task scheduler.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Help My windows defender scan schedule task is missing from the task scheduler.: The antimalware executable was using large amounts of my disk on task manager slowing down my pc so I searched online as to how to fix the issue, I came across this...
  4. Task Scheduler: Several Start a program actions

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler: Several Start a program actions: Hi there, I use a scheduled task to start a backup with beyond compare, but I need ondrive to start first. So I have two Actions in one schedule: Start a program C:\... ondrive.exe Start a program C:\... BCompare.exe Does the second action for Beyond Compare waits till the...
  5. Missing Tasks From Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Tasks From Task Scheduler: Hello Everyone My first post, I hope you will be able to help me Windows 10 x64 latest version. Yesterday I updated Windows 10 to the latest version. I started to set up the task scheduler for Ccleaner to clean my Desktop PC at boot. When I opened Task scheduler there...
  6. Task scheduled in Task Scheduler won't run from shortcut

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task scheduled in Task Scheduler won't run from shortcut: I have a task set up in Task Scheduler on Win 10 Pro 64-bit and it runs correctly when run from Task Scheduler. I cannot get the task to run from a shortcut. I do not know whether this is relevant, but in the Settings window of Task Scheduler it shows the checkbox next to...
  7. Can Task Scheduler detect Action Center notifications?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Task Scheduler detect Action Center notifications?: Hello! I'm new to Task Scheduler and have a question: Some apps, while closed, can be opened in the background. One that I use sends notifications via the Action Center whenever I receive a text message. But due to an error, the notifcations disappear not long afterward. Is...
  8. task scheduler: wrong time of action activation

in Windows 10 Customization
    task scheduler: wrong time of action activation: task scheduler:Action with the trigger set to log in any user activates only the moment when the laptop is connected to the power source. The action activates with the highest level of authorisation. (this is my own action). program which i set as task scheduler action(.bat...
  9. Windows Defender Task Scheduler Action Arguments

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Task Scheduler Action Arguments: I've seen 2 ways to add the full scan argument to MpCmdRun.exe. The first is "-Scan -ScanType 2" (without the quotes). The second is "-Scan -ScheduleJob -ScanType 2" (without the quotes). I can't seem to find anything on the -ScheduleJob parameter. Can someone tell me...
  10. Actions in Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    Actions in Task Scheduler: I have two Scheduled tasks whose actions start the same program, but with different parameters. If these two program instances happen to get scheduled at more or less the same time, then one will wait for the other to finish. But it seems to me that sometimes the one...