Windows 10: Action center reports Windows Defender and antivirus not active

Discus and support Action center reports Windows Defender and antivirus not active in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Very frequently (many times per session), I get the following pop-up message : "Check virus protection. Windows Defender and Trend Micro OfficeScan... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by pknight, Oct 26, 2016.

1. pknight Win User

Action center reports Windows Defender and antivirus not active

Very frequently (many times per session), I get the following pop-up message : "Check virus protection. Windows Defender and Trend Micro OfficeScan Anitvirus are both turned off. Tap or click to see installed antivirus apps. Security and Maintenance." I go to the Action Center, click on one of the messages, which opens Security and Maintenance. At the top of the screen, it says "No issues have been detected by Security and Maintenance." When I open the Security list, it shows that the firewall and antivirus are both on.

These messages are truly annoying. Can I stop them without disabling legitimate messages about security? Thanks.

:)

pknight, Oct 26, 2016

2. Microsoft Windows reports that antivirus software is either not registered, out of date or real time protection is not active.

received the following ALERT from Hewlett Packard :

Your PC in not currently protected from online threats .

Check your Security Settings -- Windows is not reporting Active Virus Protection .

Microsoft Windows reports that antivirus software is either not registered, out of date or real time protection is not active.

Note: Some antivirus applications may not be detected by Windows. Please disregard this message if you have an active antivirus application installed.

HP recommends McAfee Total Protection

I am currently using Windows Defender Antivirus software . My Windows Defender Security Center indicates that there is no action needed for my Virus & Threat Protection SETTINGS . My Protection Definitions are UP TO DATE . My Reliability Monitor indicates
    that my Virus Protection is ON -- Windows Defender Antivirus is helping to protect my device .

received the following ALERT from Hewlett Packard :

Windows Firewall is not enabled.

Improve your security by enabling a firewall.

Need help configuring Windows? HP SmartFriend Services can help!

My Windows Defender Security Center indicates that there is no action needed for my Firewall & Network Protection . My Reliability Monitor indicates that Windows Firewall is actively protecting my device .

My Reliability Monitor indicates that all my Internet Security Settings are set to their recommended levels .

hungarian paprika, Oct 26, 2016
  3. Windows Defender

What actions are recommended in Defender Security Center. If you complete these will it clear the Action Center? If not then you can clear it manually from it's link at the right end of Task Bar. Check also that you can run a Scan with Windows Defender
    in it's Security Center icon for Windows Defender Antivirus. Let us know if everything is OK then.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 26, 2016
  4. Action center reports Windows Defender and antivirus not active

pknight,

Two AV programs may conflict with each other and cause problems. Among the reasons for not using two AVs, every time you download a file, both try to scan it, and conflicts can result.

Consider temporarily disabling one AV, and try using just one for a short while.
    See if the pop-up message goes away.

cottonball, Oct 26, 2016
  5. pknight Win User
    I have only one AV, Trend Micro. It and the Firewall are the only security programs. I have had this setup for a year, and this message only started after the last Windows 10 upgrade.

pknight, Oct 26, 2016
  6. pknight,

Please try the following:

Go to Trend Micro Security > Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit
    Click: Uninstall tab
    Click: Stop all components. (Wait until all the buttons are enabled.)
    Click: Start all components.
    Close the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.

Restart the computer, and check if the issue persists.

Another option:
    Use winmgmt.exe to automatically repair the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)

Please, go to the Ask me anything area, and type in: cmd
    In the results above, right-click the Command Prompt and select: Run as Administrator

At the Command Prompt window, type the following command and press Enter:

winmgmt /salvagerepository

A message saying that the WMI repository was salvaged appears.

Please restart the machine and see if the issue is resolved.

cottonball, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Action center reports Windows Defender and antivirus not active

1. Action center reports Windows Defender and antivirus not active - Similar Threads - Action center reports

2. Windows Defender Reported TrojanDownloader:JS/Nemucod but Can't Action it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Reported TrojanDownloader:JS/Nemucod but Can't Action it: My Windows Defender detected a threat named TrojanDownloader:JS/Nemucod. I tried to take action - quarantine and remove but nothing worked. I then deleted all discord files and uninstalled the program, restarted my computer, and windows is still telling me the threat is...
  3. Windows Defender Reported TrojanDownloader:JS/Nemucod but Can't Action it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Reported TrojanDownloader:JS/Nemucod but Can't Action it: My Windows Defender detected a threat named TrojanDownloader:JS/Nemucod. I tried to take action - quarantine and remove but nothing worked. I then deleted all discord files and uninstalled the program, restarted my computer, and windows is still telling me the threat is...
  4. Windows Defender Reported TrojanDownloader:JS/Nemucod but Can't Action it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Unable to activate window defender antivirus

Unable to activate window defender antivirus: Hi, I am unable to activate microsoft defender antivirus. Firewall protection is on, everything is proctected but , virus and threat protection is not activated and showing turned off. Kindly help me out here...
  6. Windows Security Center reports Bitdefender Antivirus is turned off

Windows Security Center reports Bitdefender Antivirus is turned off: Hi, I notice Windows Security Center reports my Bitdefender Antivirus was turned off, what should I do? [ATTACH] I tried to turn on Bitdewfender again by chick the turn on bottom, but it's not working. It happens many times in my Windows 10, and my Bitdefender is...
  7. Windows Defender Antivirus cannot be activated

Windows Defender Antivirus cannot be activated: Hi, I purchased the MSO Office home and could not activate my Windows Defender Antivirus. Tried searching the net for answers and tried different ways but to no avail. Home someone form MS could help me. Thanks! [ATTACH]...
  8. Action center can't turn ON windows defender.

Action center can't turn ON windows defender.: [ATTACH]this is what displayed in my pc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/action-center-cant-turn-on-windows-defender/bf8f1f59-af4e-4886-9e74-a13769710191
  9. Windows 10 tray report a action required in Windows Security Center

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 tray report a action required in Windows Security Center: Hi, The Windows 10 tray report an action is required in Windows Security Center, but the Security Center reports everything is ok. How can I clear this tray report or figure out what action is required? [img] [img] 121454
  10. Windows Defender Security Center action needed?

Windows Defender Security Center action needed?: I have just completed a fresh install of Windows 10, and lo and behold I have a security issue that requires action. Only the issue does not present itself. How do I make that little red X go away? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. check virus protection windows defender and trend micro security and maintenance action center

2. action centre windows defender anti virus off

3. windows security center reports mcafee antivirus and firewall are turned off