Windows 10: Actions during a clean install

Discus and support Actions during a clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When doing a clean install and after clicking to do a custom install you get a box will all the current drives on the hard disk. I chose to reformat... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by shipinomore10, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Actions during a clean install

When doing a clean install and after clicking to do a custom install
    you get a box will all the current drives on the hard disk.
    I chose to reformat the C:/ drive as I have done many times.
    then continued. Today I received a message about GPT and that the partitions on the selected drive are
    not in the recommended order. It also gave the option to continue.
    All went fine. W10 TR 10041 installed. there seems to be no problems. I have all my programs installed and all
    files and folders. have rebooted many times and no problems.
    Should I have deleted all the extra small drives. Also the recovery drive?
    I have an image of 8.1 Pro before I did the clean install and have done one image of the new clean install.
    Larry

:)

shipinomore10, Mar 25, 2015

2. what apps are removed during a clean install of windows 10?

are all installed programs considered apps and removed when windows 10 does a clean install?

WillEyerman, Mar 25, 2015
  3. what apps are removed during a clean install of windows 10?

Everything on the drive is removed, basically, setup erases the drive.

you can perform a clean install, several ways:

Option 1:

How to: Perform a clean install using Reset this PC in Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Option 2:

How to: Create a Recovery Drive for reinstalling Windows 10

Option 3:

Step 1: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Option 4:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/perform-a-clea...

Andre Da Costa, Mar 25, 2015
  4. Actions during a clean install

I delete the System Reserved, EFI, etc system partitions on a clean install. Windows recreates them automatically anyway. The recovery partition is likely non functional now anyway. I deleted it on my ASUS laptop when I wiped the factory 8.0 install for a clean install of 8.1. I keep my user folders like Documents, pictures, music on a separate DATA drive or partition. That's the only partition I don't delete on a reinstall.

alphanumeric, Mar 26, 2015
  5. Thank You Alphanumeric right now I cannot seem to be able to delete the D: recovery.
    I am sure that there is a way but in disk management I cannot seem to get an option to delete it or any of the little ones. I am sure when everything is final I will probably do another clean install but right now I am on the slow ring and will do updates.
    Larry

shipinomore10, Mar 26, 2015
  6. Don't delete them now, do it during the install. If you do it now you'll break something. You'll end up in a no boot situation.

7. No I have no intentions to do anymore since everything is working.
    I also have a laptop and I had done the delete of the recovery partition and expanding the C: drive before I did the clean install on it.
    Let's hope April will see another build.
    Larry

8. Actions during a clean install

Just for General Information:

Over the past few years, I've been involved in testing several OS's, and following Microsoft's advise, I always like to install to a Clean, Blank hard drive. (most people don't have one of those just laying around)

I have many HD's laying around that have been used for various things including testing of new OS's.
    So to prepare a HD for a new OS, I do what I've been doing to HD's for a very long time. (even brand new ones)

I install the test drive as the ONLY HD on the system (my desktop) and I boot up the system with my DOS Utilities CD.
    Then I run the old DOS Utility program "FDISK" which I use to delete all the partitions on the HD. It will even delete NTFS and Linux partitions. I let it create just ONE large partition on the drive.

Then I reboot, and run the DOS Format command from the CD. It's not so much the actual Format that I want as it is the fact that the DOS Format routine scours the HD, verifying that every sector is able to reliably hold data. Any bad sectors will be added to the Bad Sector Map on the drive (a permanent part of every hard drive) and will never be used again for data storage.
    That precludes installing a new OS on sectors that may fail to reliably hold data.

Once that is done, I can install any OS with the knowledge that the HD will be able to reliably hold the new OS.
    And generally speaking, I have none of the problems with testing a new OS that I see written up so often on these forums.

Cheers Mates! Spring is here and summer is just around the corner! Come on RTM!

*Cool

TechnoMage, Mar 26, 2015
  9. The diskpart clean or clean all command is good for wiping a drive too.

10. TechnoMage when you speak of the DOS Utilities CD is that something you created or is that one that you got with hardware.
    Years ago I used one but that was in the last century. have tried to use whatever I can find or learn on my system at the time.
    I have a touchsmart 23 all in one from HP and 1T hard drive. right now it has about 6 or 7 different areas on the drive.
    When ten is released I would sure like to clean this up once and for all.
    How can I get the CD? or is it something that can be created from my system
    Larry

11. Dude Win User
  12. Hi Dude; I am using AOMEI backupper and really like it. I will try to use the partition one. have it on the system and will create a couple of Image backups and give it a try.
    Will mark this one resolved.
    Larry

13. Actions during a clean install

Dude I just did a snip and everything went fine with the partitions.
    there was just one more that perhaps could go. the one marked Other for 128mg.
    Larry

shipinomore10, Mar 27, 2015
  14. I hope you got the snip.

shipinomore10, Mar 27, 2015
  15. Dude Win User
    Leave that one alone, I believe it is your Boot partition. It is a Microsoft Reserved Partition. If you bring up Disk Management it will not be shown.

Thema:

Actions during a clean install

1. Actions during a clean install - Similar Threads - Actions during clean

2. Old folder during clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old folder during clean install: Current version Windows 11 22H2 22621.1848 Public Release non insider account.I just did a clean install back on 04 Jun 23. During install I had Windows delete all partitions off the drive on which I installed it. Today I was looking around on my C drive and noticed that...
  3. Crashing during clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Crashing during clean install: Since my pc was acting up I've been trying to reinstall windows 10. 10 times in a row it has crashed during installation and had to start from the very beginning and crashes at different points. I've check every physical component, the UEFI settings including clearing the...
  4. Crashing during clean install

Crashing during clean install: Since my pc was acting up I've been trying to reinstall windows 10. 10 times in a row it has crashed during installation and had to start from the very beginning and crashes at different points. I've check every physical component, the UEFI settings including clearing the...
  5. Crashing during clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. BSOD during clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD during clean install: Hey, I was getting a bunch of BSOD’s and decided to do a clean install of windows using MCT and a usb, everything installed fine until I got to the getting ready screen and then got a System Service Exception BSOD. This issue has been continuous and I have tried every...
  7. BSOD during clean install

BSOD during clean install: Hey, I was getting a bunch of BSOD’s and decided to do a clean install of windows using MCT and a usb, everything installed fine until I got to the getting ready screen and then got a System Service Exception BSOD. This issue has been continuous and I have tried every...
  8. BSOD during clean install

9. BSOD during clean install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD during clean install: Quick backstory: Had Windows 10 Pro running since it came out with relatively few problems. I decided it was time for a graphics upgrade so I threw in an EVGA GeForce 1060. Nvidia decided I needed new drivers and it has been all downhill since then. 1) I first got a...
  10. Incorrect partitioning during clean install.

Incorrect partitioning during clean install.: Hey guys, I had to do a clean install windows 10 and I've never done it before. When it says where you would like to install windows I had 3 partitions and instead of deleting 3 of them to make one unallocated, I only deleted two and formatted the primary partition where I...