Windows 10: Activate OEM version key on different version

Discus and support Activate OEM version key on different version in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, i have installed Win 10 PRO x64 from original ISO, i choose activate later. Today my KEY WIN 10 PRO X64 arrived but is OEM (DVD media)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Hrki, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Hrki Win User

Activate OEM version key on different version

Hello,

i have installed Win 10 PRO x64 from original ISO, i choose activate later. Today my KEY WIN 10 PRO X64 arrived but is OEM (DVD media) version.

How can i activate OEM version without reinstall? Problem is that PC dont have DVD :/

:)

2. neilpzz Win User

Error in Activation

Does this mean you used this method to activate with the OEM key during the original installation.

If the last 5 characters in the screenshot are different to the key you have for the OEM licence then input the OEM key again in Change product key. The error code suggest the code is in use on another device. I assume it has never been used on another installation.

neilpzz, Aug 22, 2017
  3. Moving OEM windows 10 to new build

Under the terms of the Windows 10 OEM license agreement, no, but you could try phone activation as a work around/loophole. It has worked.

OEM versions of Windows 10 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

1. Press Windows key + X then clickRun, then type:
    slui.exe 4

2. Next press the 'ENTER' key

3. Select your 'Country' from the list.

4. Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.

5. Stay on the phone (do not select/press any options) and wait for a person to help you with activation.

6. Explain your problem clearly to the support person.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 22, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

You must have been supplied with a key?

Look on packaging.

If not there, ask seller. If he replies "it is not needed, just install from drive", then I would ask for you money back, as (afaik) that style of installation died out with Windows 7. This would suggest that there is some dodgy/illegal activation mechanism on disk.

cereberus, Aug 22, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    Just enter the key - no need to reinstall. Doesn't matter if you used ISO or DVD.

6. Yes, Windows 10 uses a different type of OEM activation from what Windows 7 used. No SLIC table, it uses an embedded key instead. All (official) Windows 10 install media, OEM or Retail, looks for and will use OEM embedded keys automatically. Branded (HP, Dell, etc) OEM install media likely has OEM branding in it, and maybe some other customizations, if obtained from Dell, etc. I wouldn't expect it to come with a Product key. The assumption is its embedded in the PC's BIOS. That's my understanding anyway. Regular (system builder) OEM install media from new Egg etc, won't have anything extra added. Assuming you can buy system builder OEM install media for Windows 10. OEM system builder install media should come with a product key.

alphanumeric, Aug 22, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    My reading of the OP is that rather than having bought a OEM (Dell or whatever) PC with Windows installed they installed 10 Pro from ISO and didn't enter a key.

They then bought a OEM key (like this Windows 10 Pro 64-bit-Newegg.com for example) which has just arrived.

If this is the case you can enter the key - you do not need to reinstall using special media - the install from standard Microsoft ISO from Microsoft works fine.

Technically (according to the EULA) OEM keys are for computers you build and intend to sell to someone else but the key will activate the existing install just by going to settings > activation and typing it in (assuming it hasn't been used before).

8. Activate OEM version key on different version

Yes, that's the way I read it also. He should have a key somewhere in the package. And if that key matches the Edition installed, it should activate once its entered manually.

9. Hrki Win User
    Then why KEY isnt working?

I installed Win 10 x64 PRO N (.ISO) didnt activate, and later i got original Win10 X64 PRO DVD with OEM KEY and now i cant activate. Do they embbed key on DVD (lame) ???

10. lx07 Win User
    "They" do not embed any key in the DVD. It doesn't work like that. You activate an edition with the correct key. A key from another edition doesn't work.

Are you saying you installed Pro N and your key is for Pro?

If so your key is for the wrong edition. Same as if you installed Pro and tried to put in a home key.

Assuming that that is the case, unless you want to try to change your installed edition, you need to install Pro (not Pro N) and try again.

Do try to give more information in your posts as otherwise everyone is guessing what you mean.

If you want instructions on what to change in registry to make Pro N into Pro then say so. It is pretty simple and you could find it on Google in seconds if that is what you want to do.

11. Hrki Win User
    Thanks for quick respond, but difference between Pro N and Pro is so minor i cant believe that key dont works... Will change to PRO and install key!

Edit: Can you give me link for registry change. I dont want to reinstall again whole system...

Upgrade from Pro version to full Pro Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    (on this thread tells other story, that you cannot change without clean instalation, also another thread on this forums tells the same, this is so retarded if its true...)

Who the hell uses shitty Media Player??? They should removed this by default (Europe is smart).

So many different information for so simply thing...

12. I use Media Player all the time, almost daily. As near as I can tell, you have two choices. Do a clean install of 10 Pro and use the key you have now, or buy a new product code for 10 Pro N.

13. Hrki Win User

Logic question, how is possible that version which have less function i cannot activate with version wich have more options.

So retarded, will make more sense if you cant activate Pro with Pro N (key), but hey this is M$ they removed START button in 8 *Smile

14. It's always been that way, the key has to match the Edition installed. That's how you know you installed the wrong Edition. *Wink

15. Hrki Win User
    Yep, on Balkan we used cracked software alltime so we dont know procedure *Smile

Thema:

1. Activate OEM version key on different version - Similar Threads - Activate OEM version

2. OEM Key not Activated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM Key not Activated: I downgrade Windows 10 to Windows 7 but OEM Windows 7 Home Premium key by Sony Corporation, enter product key is say Key is invalid. I checked specs page is Windows 7 Home Premium Factory Windows and installed same edition but Windows say I have 3 days to activate Windows,...
  3. OEM Key not Activated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OEM Key not Activated: I downgrade Windows 10 to Windows 7 but OEM Windows 7 Home Premium key by Sony Corporation, enter product key is say Key is invalid. I checked specs page is Windows 7 Home Premium Factory Windows and installed same edition but Windows say I have 3 days to activate Windows,...
  4. WINDOW VERSION 10 FROM OEM KEY

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WINDOW VERSION 10 FROM OEM KEY: In my pc I had OEM key I want to confirm window 10 pro or home please tell https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-version-10-from-oem-key/a171a97e-d60d-4623-85f3-1fed2d400b4f
  5. OEM Versions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OEM Versions: there are any thing illegal to Microsoft from using oem windows versions.... I will use it to my device but the very low price of the windows makes me hesitant to buy it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-versions/20529ad5-990f-46e5-ba83-afc277c9cf49
  6. Different versions

in Windows 10 Support
    Different versions: Got a Win 10 Home disk off of e-bay. Full version. 64 bit. OEM. Just had a question on the different versions available. Does it matter which version I got? Will it update to the current version when installed? I received ver. 1709. Thanks for the help. 143595
  7. CorelDraw version differences

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CorelDraw version differences: I am using X4 presently...on Win 10 Pro. Just upgraded to Win 10. It's not entirely ideal--doesn't really function like it should. Been thinking about upgrading CorelDraw. But there's so many options now I'm not sure what to look for. CorelDraw Graphics Suite X8, CorelDraw...
  8. Activation of an OEM version after changing the mainboard.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation of an OEM version after changing the mainboard.: On another forum (in Chinese), a member said that his OEM version of Windows 10 had been activated after the mainboard was changed. A screenshot of that was shown there. And he had not used this method: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation...
  9. Using an OEM version and want to upgrade to a retail version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using an OEM version and want to upgrade to a retail version: There's a good chance that my computer will need major new parts and I'm afraid that it will not activate when fixes. I would like to use the operation system that I already configured to my liking. Can I buy a retail version of Windows 10 and just use that new key to...
  10. Retail version or OEM version

in Windows 10 Support
    Retail version or OEM version: Hi Friends, I am thinking of building a new PC on my own. I am a home user only. I will buy all the hardware from a local shop ie motherboard, cpu, ram, hdd etc and then I would like to install a genuine/legal version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on it. But should I buy OEM...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell xps 15 7590 windows 10 home oem to pro retail the last product key you entered