Windows 10: Activate Screensaver when disconnecting from RDP session

Discus and support Activate Screensaver when disconnecting from RDP session in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I have my desktop at home setup so that I can use Windows Remote Desktop to remote into it and do work. When I'm done, I usually just close... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kevinjon, Apr 4, 2016.

1. kevinjon Win User

Activate Screensaver when disconnecting from RDP session

Hello,

I have my desktop at home setup so that I can use Windows Remote Desktop to remote into it and do work. When I'm done, I usually just close the RDP session window, leaving my computer at home logged in, but locked (because I have other server processes running). If I lock my desktop locally (with Windows key + L) I have my screensavers setup to engage automatically. I was wondering if there was a way to do something similar when I disconnect from an RDP session. Currently, it just shows the Windows 10 lock screen and then the monitors shutdown at some point after. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

:)

kevinjon, Apr 4, 2016
  2. Gorkster Win User

Windows 10 1709; host sleeps during active RDP session

I am reporting a bug/oversight.

HOST OS:

Windows 10 64-bit Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.192)

HOST SETTING:

Set to sleep after 2 hours of inactivity

PROBLEM:

Host computer sleeps after 2 hours of inactivity even when a client is connected via RDP (Remote Desktop)

DESCRIPTION:

In previous versions of Windows and even in Win10 before the Fall Update an active RDP session has always prevented the host computer from entering a sleep state even when set to do so after X minutes of inactivity. Since the Fall Update the host computer
    of an active RDP session will sleep during an active RDP session when there is lack of activity on the client computer. There should never be a reason for the host of an active RDP session to enter sleep mode when there is a client connected. If the client
    computer is set to sleep after X minutes of inactivity it seems natural it should do so even during an active RDP session, but then, and only then, should the inactivity timer start for the host computer.

HISTORY:

There was a bug introduced in Remote Desktop sometime prior to Win10 Fall Update wherein a host computer would not sleep when set to do so after a period of inactivity after a client had connected and subsequently disconnected to the host via RDP. This
    was finally fixed in Fall Update, but I have a sneaking suspicion the fix was too aggressive and this is what led to the problem I am reporting.

Sean

Gorkster, Apr 4, 2016
  3. JimGing Win User
    Server 2016 Essentials RDP session - no keyboard or mouse

After installing the latest build 14393.rs1_release_inmarket.161014-1755 I'm having this problem.

When reconnecting to a previously disconnected but running desktop session, after authentication I receive a black screen and shortly thereafter the session quits with the following error:

"Failed to reconnect to your remote session.

Please try to connect again."

This behavior is the same with MS RDP client in both Windows 10 and Android MS RDP client version 4.2.

If I connect from Linux the behavior is slightly different. Here I am able to connect to the session and see the desktop but I'm not able to get a response from keyboard or mouse. It's as if the session is not listening for input. The session remains
    alive (animations continue to update e.g. clock) until I disconnect.

So far the only way I'm able to restore normal RDP session behavior is to reboot the server.

JimGing, Apr 4, 2016
  4. Activate Screensaver when disconnecting from RDP session

Depending, how you disconnect, you can create a shortcut, like:

tsdiscon
    start "" "C:\Windows\System32\Mystify.scr" /s

TairikuOkami, Apr 6, 2016
  5. ice006 Win User
    Cheers bru! I've found my PC is sitting idle, monitor on with no screensaver hours after an RDP session before. I haven't tested it much since, Microsoft might've patched the glitch, but this should at least 'potentially' help stop some screen burn Activate Screensaver when disconnecting from RDP session :p

ice006, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Activate Screensaver when disconnecting from RDP session

1. Activate Screensaver when disconnecting from RDP session - Similar Threads - Activate Screensaver disconnecting

2. new win10 pro install. when RDP session closed not disconnected, just X'd out it's...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    new win10 pro install. when RDP session closed not disconnected, just X'd out it's...: Had my C drive ssd die, so had to rebuild my headless fileserver.it's updated fully, latest patches, drivers, etcIt took me a bit to figure out what was going on, but it seems like even tho I've adjusted power settings to never sleep, nor power down, it's shutting down...
  3. RDP session is getting temporarily disconnected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP session is getting temporarily disconnected: I am regularly being disconnected from my remote desktop rdp session to a Windows 11 VM. I have used remote desktop for many years and work in IT. I have not had this type of experience before. When renaming files or starting a file transfer or performing similar operations,...
  4. RDP session is getting temporarily disconnected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RDP session is getting temporarily disconnected: I am regularly being disconnected from my remote desktop rdp session to a Windows 11 VM. I have used remote desktop for many years and work in IT. I have not had this type of experience before. When renaming files or starting a file transfer or performing similar operations,...
  5. RDP Application Collection remote app session disconnects to often to use

RDP Application Collection remote app session disconnects to often to use: I have an application set up in a collection on 2019 DC. Due to the RDP session disconnecting constantly my users are not able to use the shortcut to the remote application as once they get connected it drops the connection. I am at a loss as to why this is happening. Anyone...
  6. RDP had multiple active sessions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RDP had multiple active sessions: Hithe other day i had this unusual issue where a user was using RDP to connect to their work machine and instead of joining the existing session they had from a previous day it created a new one whilst also keeping the old one active, this prompted the user to select which...
  7. RDP had multiple active sessions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP had multiple active sessions: Hithe other day i had this unusual issue where a user was using RDP to connect to their work machine and instead of joining the existing session they had from a previous day it created a new one whilst also keeping the old one active, this prompted the user to select which...
  8. RDP had multiple active sessions

9. RDP session

in Windows 10 Customization
    RDP session: I have a video wall with 10 screens and I am using windows 10 enterprise, I can't span an RDP session to another screen it seems to be locked to the main screen...
  10. Windows 10 Post In Place Upgrade RDP Session Disconnects

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Post In Place Upgrade RDP Session Disconnects: I have issues after upgrading my Windows 7 Pro pc's via the in place method with RDP sessions kicking out. It is completely logging me out, I'm an admin on the domain, I have to connect via rdp again and it sometimes defaults to the local admin creds being displayed. Also, I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. screensaver not activate disconnected session

2. disable screen saver rdp session

3. tsdiscon April 2018 Update