Windows 10: Activate USB network adaptor

Discus and support Activate USB network adaptor in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have bought and installed a USB network adaptor which has an aerial for better wi-fi reception. How do I tell the computer to use this one? I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Brisbanebob, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Activate USB network adaptor

I have bought and installed a USB network adaptor which has an aerial for better wi-fi reception. How do I tell the computer to use this one? I tried disabling the on-board adaptor but the computer then tells me no network access because there's no adaptor.

The device manager tells me the new adaptor is installed and working properly. Help?

:)

Brisbanebob, Dec 20, 2016

2. Servicing Stack Update for Windows10 Version 1511 (KB3140741)

Since the recent Servicing Stack Update to Windows 10, KB3140741, I have been unable to connect to the internet via my usb network adaptor from shutdown. When I restart the internet connects normally and holds connection. Also if I unplug the usb adaptor
    and reconnect it the internet connects and holds connection.

I have tried adaptor driver update, uninstall and reinstall network adaptor, network troubleshooter ( this sometimes works!), and networking commands in command prompt window as detailed in Windows 10 help(Fix Network Connection Issues). I have also tried
    different usb sockets on my computer, and resetting the router.

Thus I am able to use the internet, but it is extremely inconvenient to have to keep restarting to connect as detailed above. Also the adaptor worked flawlessly prior to the update.

Hoping you can provide some help to resolve this problem.

JamesNicholson_668, Dec 20, 2016
  3. JDS101 Win User
    No Wifi on a Windows 10 machine - Was working, then all of a sudden it's gone (not upgrade or VPN related)

The USB Ethernet adapter ... such as Dual-band Wireless USB Network adaptor by Linksys ... or TP-Link TL-WN823N .... or etc etc.

JDS101, Dec 20, 2016
  4. Wullail Win User

Activate USB network adaptor

is it shown when you go into network and sharing centre in the control panel at all?

Wullail, Dec 20, 2016
  5. Wullail Win User
    Any red / yellow flags?

Right click and choose properties , screenshot what it's showing.

Wullail, Dec 21, 2016
  6. I have attached a Word doc with two screen shoots. Thank you for your kind assistance - it is much appreciated.

Brisbanebob, Dec 21, 2016
  7. Wullail Win User
    Not quite what I wanted to see....this is my equivalent , from network and sharing , double click on the adapter and then choose properties from that box , I've shown my equivalent here ..

Activate USB network adaptor [​IMG]

Wullail, Dec 22, 2016
  8. Activate USB network adaptor

Thanks for your response. I connect through wi-fi

Activate USB network adaptor [​IMG]

Brisbanebob, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Activate USB network adaptor

1. Activate USB network adaptor - Similar Threads - Activate USB network

2. Network adaptors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network adaptors: I have a surface 3 laptop running on windows 10 with wifi modem.Suddenly stopped working with message ‘No internet detected’. Toggled power on laptop and modem, no joy. wifi is fine on other devices so no issues with wifi as such. Advised to install a wifi usb which got me...
  3. Network adaptors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network adaptors: I have a surface 3 laptop running on windows 10 with wifi modem.Suddenly stopped working with message ‘No internet detected’. Toggled power on laptop and modem, no joy. wifi is fine on other devices so no issues with wifi as such. Advised to install a wifi usb which got me...
  4. Network adaptors

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Network adaptor

Network adaptor: Hello i am trying to reinstall my network adpotor for my windows 10 pc. I just got this pc and i was trying to figure out why i could not connect to internet when i Deleted my network adpotor. When ever i try to do a hardware scan it does not pop up again. Please someone...
  6. network adaptors

network adaptors: i have just installed a usb network adaptor on my pc can i link the pc adaptor to the usb adaptor to boost signal https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-adaptors/543b3297-9579-4534-b667-70621a16baaf
  7. No network adaptor found

No network adaptor found: After updating to the October version of windows 10 from the prior version of windows 10, the device manager can't display my network adaptor. No mater what I do, it won't find that device. I'm running on a 5 year old HP Pavilion. Help!...
  8. Driver for network adaptor

Driver for network adaptor: I'm trying to install realtek network adapter but it is showing me that "windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device (code 56)". And also it is not showing any adapter in change adapter settings except kaspersky adapter. Im not able to get internet...
  9. Network adaptor vanished

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network adaptor vanished: My computer is showing absolutely no network adapter, whats the fix fix why would this be? Trevor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/network-adaptor-vanished/870cf570-a695-4613-bed7-923e8e663b68
  10. USB WiFi adaptor

USB WiFi adaptor: I need to move my windows 10 desktop away from the router and need to use an USB WiFi adaptor to connect to the internet. I have an older Belkin F5D8053 but It wont download the drivers. Win10 recognises it but cant set it up. The latest Drivers on the Belkin Web Site are the...