Windows 10: Activating a skipped license on Windows 10

Discus and support Activating a skipped license on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently got myself a bargain of a deal on a used MSI GX60 laptop from a seller on eBay. It came and is in pristine condition, almost new! I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Terrum, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Terrum Win User

Activating a skipped license on Windows 10

I recently got myself a bargain of a deal on a used MSI GX60 laptop from a seller on eBay. It came and is in pristine condition, almost new! I did however have one minor problem with it which the seller is not insisting on helping me with.

The listing described itself to have Windows 10 pre-installed onto it, and that the recovery partition was still working, etc. That's all well and good - until when I powered it on I saw it had Windows 8.1 Enterprise installed - I thought, okay maybe the seller just factory restored it for me to keep his data safe, no problem, but then when I tried to factory restore it again, it would say there was missing media - the recovery partition wasn't usable even after checking with the reagentc command. The thing that confused me most however was the fact that it came with 'Enterprise', an activated one at that. I have my suspicions it was probably pirated as I have no idea why a gaming laptop would come with a business OS!

To keep this short (as I already irrelevantly babbled above!), the seller suggested that I install a clean Windows 10 installation onto the laptop, skipping the part where it says to enter a license, and the seller says it will activate itself even without a license key after a few days. How true is this? It doesn't seem like something that's very believable. Is anyone able to confirm this or give any input?

Many thanks!

:)

Terrum, Sep 6, 2015

2. Windows 10 Key to activate

Windows 10 uses a digital license to activate. When prompted for a key, choose skip this and Windows would automatically activate later.

Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 6, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    I have Installed Windows 10 Home Sinlge Language from USB flash and it works fine, but windows is not activated since it asks me for key and I give it the Key of Windows 7

You don't need a license key to activate Windows 10 if the computer you are upgrading is running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1. When asked for a license key during installation choose Skip this step.

In any other circumstance you need to buy a license key to activate Windows 10.

BulldogXX, Sep 6, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Once a computer has been successfully upgraded to Windows 10, and Windows 10 was activated on it, then a clean install of the same version of Windows 10 will activate without entering a product key. The problem is that Enterprise Windows 7/8/8.1 is not eligible for a free upgrade.

I would run showkey available from this forum and it will tell what version of Windows there is a key in bios for (if any). Then I would go back and install that version of Windows, I would not think it would be enterprise version. Upgrade that to the version of Windows 10 that it is eligible for.

NavyLCDR, Sep 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Activating a skipped license on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Activating skipped license

2. activating a window 10 license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    activating a window 10 license: Hello this is the scenarioI had an old pc that had a digital license which is linked to my account, which I bought in the online Microsoft store, so it's a Retail one. That old pc is Dying so it doesn't work sometimes.I build a new PC, and now I want to transfer that license...
  3. activating a window 10 license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    activating a window 10 license: Hello this is the scenarioI had an old pc that had a digital license which is linked to my account, which I bought in the online Microsoft store, so it's a Retail one. That old pc is Dying so it doesn't work sometimes.I build a new PC, and now I want to transfer that license...
  4. activating a window 10 license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 License & Activation

Windows 10 License & Activation: Windows 10 Home was activated on my PC using digital license however, a message keeps on showing that my license will soon expire, what can I do, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-license-activation/19472955-81e7-49ed-a1d1-75062af365b3
  6. WINDOWS 10 LICENSING ACTIVATION

WINDOWS 10 LICENSING ACTIVATION: Prompt messages has been viewing on my screen every 30minutes only requesting toactivate windows in setting. I have tried all possible means but still and there is no'trouble shoot' at my windows activation setting. Is there any help for to sort the problem out....
  7. Activation of windows 10 license

Activation of windows 10 license: I have changed the motherboard of my PC including HDD. I wish to continue with my old windows license. It doesn't support change product key. What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-of-windows-10-license/e9fb941c-1a0e-4cb0-bfe9-988fc200f223"
  8. Windows 10 Licensing and Activation

Windows 10 Licensing and Activation: I am having the Windows 10 activation issues today and the possible reason provided for the deactivation was change in the hardware of my device with error code 0xC0EA000A I have licensed Windows Product key with me and also I have not done any hardware changes for Dell...
  9. Windows 10 license activation

Windows 10 license activation: I am using windows 10 for a long time,and I am using windows 10 home single language.What I wanna know is,I have another personal computer belongs to me.can I activate that computer with the same key I am already using...
  10. windows 10 activation license

in Cortana
    windows 10 activation license: With the big update of windows 10, my PC crashed completely. I had to take it in for windows 10 to be reinstalled. Now my PC is saying repeatedly that my license is expiring soon and should renew it. How do I fix this problem as I had a digital license and cannot find my...