Windows 10: Activating previous Windows 10 upgrade on new mobo

Discus and support Activating previous Windows 10 upgrade on new mobo in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi All A little advice please.. I have previously built a pc for a friend and used a Windows 7 pro licence key which activated fine. They then went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by sorethumbs, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Activating previous Windows 10 upgrade on new mobo

Hi All
    A little advice please..

I have previously built a pc for a friend and used a Windows 7 pro licence key which activated fine. They then went and did the free upgrade to get the pc upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

Now it seems their pc has had its motherboard fail and I will be looking to get them a replacement. It will no doubt require a reinstall of the operating system so here is where I'm a bit confused.

I have the original Windows 7 serial still and also the serial that was generated after the upgrade to Windows 10.

What is the best way to get their Windows 10 back and activated on a new motherboard. Do i reinstall the old W7 and then have to upgrade to W10 like previously or do I go and install W10 and enter the old Windows 7 key (or the newer W10 serial)

Rather confused...

:)

sorethumbs, Jul 20, 2017

2. Windows 10+New motherboard

A new mobo means a new computer for licensing purposes. Windows will go into notification mode. If your previous OS is OEM (pre-installed by the computer manufacturer) you are going to need to buy an OS, regardless of what you do because your old OS will
    not activate with a new mobo.

If your old OS is a retail (FPP) copy, then revert to it or reinstall it before you make the hardware change. Then when you change mobos it should reactivate online automatically or you can reactivate by phone. Then you can upgrade to Windows 10 again.

Cbarnhorst, Jul 20, 2017
  3. Windows 10 upgrade versus Windows 10 clean install

1-If anything but the mobo dies you can do a clean install and skip the step where it asks for a key. It will check with the activation servers and confirm your registration. New mobo=new computer it does not matter if you are on the upgraded version or
    the clean installed version you will either have to install a previous OS, or buy a win 10 key

2-Same thing. It does not matter when it happens. If you have already validated (and activated) your installation ID, you can clean install unless you mobo dies.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 20, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Activating previous Windows 10 upgrade on new mobo

Welcome to the forum. I assume the hd is ok and will go back in with the new board its a matter of seeing then if it stays active assuming it boots ok. A lot depends how different the MB is if it the same or simliarit may just work. If you need to do a clean install then you skip the request for a serial and see if it works as activation is held on MS servers

Samuria, Jul 21, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    This is how Microsoft says to do it :
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530

The Windows 10 Pro product key you got from the upgrade is VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T and you cannot use that by itself to activate Windows 10 on a new motherboard that has never had Windows 10 activated on it before.

There is a good chance the Windows 7 product key will work to activate either Windows 7 or the matching edition of Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Activating previous Windows 10 upgrade on new mobo

1. Activating previous Windows 10 upgrade on new mobo - Similar Threads - Activating previous upgrade

2. can't activate Windows after upgrade mobo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't activate Windows after upgrade mobo: Hello, 2 days ago, i upgrade my motherboard pc, and i can't Activate windows in my new motherboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-activate-windows-after-upgrade-mobo/5297c91c-a807-418c-9be1-12edf0072896
  3. can't activate Windows after upgrade mobo

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't activate Windows after upgrade mobo: Hello, 2 days ago, i upgrade my motherboard pc, and i can't Activate windows in my new motherboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-activate-windows-after-upgrade-mobo/5297c91c-a807-418c-9be1-12edf0072896
  4. New mobo, previous SSD, trying to marry the two

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New mobo, previous SSD, trying to marry the two: Hello Microsoft Community! In my previous post which I can't believe was a year ago now! I had lost my HDD, got it recovered, have an SSD with Windows loaded on it, etc. Turns out, my mobo was failing anyway, and I finally bought a replacement used computer that had a...
  5. New mobo, previous SSD, trying to marry the two

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New mobo, previous SSD, trying to marry the two: Hello Microsoft Community! In my previous post which I can't believe was a year ago now! I had lost my HDD, got it recovered, have an SSD with Windows loaded on it, etc. Turns out, my mobo was failing anyway, and I finally bought a replacement used computer that had a...
  6. New mobo, previous SSD, trying to marry the two

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Activation after installing new Mobo

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation after installing new Mobo: Hello, I recently purchased Windows 10 Home for a new build. The motherboard was bad, and it had to be switched out. After the new motherboard was switched out, windows wont let me activate because of the new motherboard. I have only owned this version of windows for a max of...
  8. Mobo died, changed mobo, Windows 10 will not activate.

Mobo died, changed mobo, Windows 10 will not activate.: Mobo died, I changed out the mobo, now Windows 10 will not activate. I've tried following the activation tutorial with the bot. As I purchased Windows 10 online I do not have an activation code. I was able to recover my installation ID but the bot will not recognize it....
  9. Windows 10 activation after a mobo+cpu upgrade

Windows 10 activation after a mobo+cpu upgrade: I recently changed my mobo and cpu and after i had to reinstall windows but when it booted up. I noticed the watermark in the bottom right corner. And i tried to activate windows and i dindt succeed i tried the option to activate windows after a hardware change and i...
  10. Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade

Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade: I'm updating my wife's Home PC to a new CPU and mobo (old had only 4G DDR2 memory and was slower than molasses). This PC was originally Win 7 Home and I used the free upgrade facility to go to Win 10 Home. This PC is listed as one of my devices under my account at...