Windows 10: Activating Windows 10 using a Windows 8 Key

Discus and support Activating Windows 10 using a Windows 8 Key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I'm thinking about installing Windows 10 pro using the virtualization station on my QNAP NAS. Because we're still in the free upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by brymerr921, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Activating Windows 10 using a Windows 8 Key

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about installing Windows 10 pro using the virtualization station on my QNAP NAS. Because we're still in the free upgrade period and I have access to one Windows 8.1 Pro license key through my school for personal use, I was wondering how best to use my 8.1 pro key to install Windows 10 pro..

1. Can I use a Windows 10 Pro ISO to create the virtual machine, and then use my 8.1 Pro license key to activate it?

2. Or do I first need to install Windows 8.1 Pro and then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro? I know that typically, in-place upgrades of Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 result in digital entitlement. My concern is that if I need to rebuild my virtual machine from scratch I'll lose my Windows 10 license completely.

Any thoughts on whether option 1 will work or not or how to protect my Windows 10 Pro installation would be appreciated. Thanks!

:)

brymerr921, Jun 24, 2016

2. activating windows 10 using windows 8 key

Hello,

I suggest you to refer the below wiki article provided by Andre Da costa on
    How to install and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key.
    How to install and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key

Also, suggest you to refer the below article on Windows 10 activation.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

Do let us know the update.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Jun 24, 2016
  3. Nagmoti S Win User
    activating windows 10 using windows 8 key

Hi,

I have to format the C drive and reinstall the OS (current version windows 10 pro 1511 10586.420) as system got trashed, when I had given to repair the hard disk.

Windows 10 was upgraded from win 8 to 8.1 then finally to win 10 pro 1511.

If I have to reinstall, can I use the windows 8 key for installing and activating windows 10 (I have the USB installation media), OR should I install win 8 then upgrade to 8.1 and finally do all updates to upgrade to win 10?

How to proceed pl reply asap.

Nagmoti S, Jun 24, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Activating Windows 10 using a Windows 8 Key

The problem with virtual machines is that each virtual machine will create a new Hardware ID. The digital license for Windows 10 is stored on Microsoft activation servers based upon the Hardware ID. After July 29th upgrades won't be free so you might not be able to upgrade the Windows 8.1 license (product key) to Windows 10 on a new virtual machine for free after July 29th.

NavyLCDR, Jun 24, 2016
  5. Superfly Win User
    Option1 will work.

With VMWare you backup the vmx file - that contains the UUID that has digital entitlement.
    Not sure about other types of VM's tho'...

Superfly, Jun 24, 2016
  6. xbliss Win User
    Is there a way to do the same with Hyper V - I suspect even it stores VM related ID information in certain files/ settings? XML? Do we have to dig or someone's already found this?

xbliss, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Activating Windows 10 using a Windows 8 Key

1. Activating Windows 10 using a Windows 8 Key - Similar Threads - Activating using Key

2. Cannot activate Windows 10 with Windows 8 key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot activate Windows 10 with Windows 8 key: Hello,I just upgraded my hardware including my motherboard and now it shows me that my Windows 10 is not activated due to a hardware change. I tried to enter my original Windows 8.1 key which I buyed a long time ago but it is the transferable not OEM sort of a key I upgraded...
  3. Cannot activate Windows 10 with Windows 8 key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot activate Windows 10 with Windows 8 key: Hello,I just upgraded my hardware including my motherboard and now it shows me that my Windows 10 is not activated due to a hardware change. I tried to enter my original Windows 8.1 key which I buyed a long time ago but it is the transferable not OEM sort of a key I upgraded...
  4. Cannot activate Windows 10 with Windows 8 key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. is it possible to use the key 8 to windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is it possible to use the key 8 to windows 10: sir , i used windows 8 pro genuine , now i replaced the motherboard Asus B560 And processer I7-11gen ,now i cannot install windows 8 on this board ,so i installed windows 10 pro ..is it possible to use the key 8 to windows 10 ..otherwise how to activate windows 10, please...
  6. is it possible to use the key 8 to windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is it possible to use the key 8 to windows 10: sir , i used windows 8 pro genuine , now i replaced the motherboard Asus B560 And processer I7-11gen ,now i cannot install windows 8 on this board ,so i installed windows 10 pro ..is it possible to use the key 8 to windows 10 ..otherwise how to activate windows 10, please...
  7. Windows 10 activation failed Windows 8 key

Windows 10 activation failed Windows 8 key: A few years ago I built a PC, bought a Windows 8 core key through retail, activated it, and then upgraded to Windows 10. A few days ago I finished building a new PC and attempted to use the same key to activate Windows 10, figuring that since I had already done that upgrade...
  8. Activating Windows 10 with Windows 8 Key

Activating Windows 10 with Windows 8 Key: Hello Everyone, So the past two evenings have been an absolute nightmare trying to get Windows 10 re-installed on my computer. Here's a little background: I currently possess a Windows 8.0 key. I previously had upgraded to Windows 8.1 and then in August upgraded to...
  9. can i activate windows 10 with a windows 8 key

can i activate windows 10 with a windows 8 key: or do i have to go through installing windows 8.1 then all the updates then install windows 10 its for my mum shes running windows insider still think she just has a local account so i just wanna go round with a win 10 iso and install the easiest way 15368
  10. Windows 10 Activation from win7/8 key

Windows 10 Activation from win7/8 key: Hey everyone, been lurking this forum for a while and thought id post this one to hopefully clear this question up. We all know that if you have a win7/8 installation, then its just a matter of upgrading it when the final release lands by using the little windows app next...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usinga windows 8 key for windows 10