Windows 10: Activating Windows 10 with Windows 7 "Upgrade" Key

Discus and support Activating Windows 10 with Windows 7 "Upgrade" Key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey guys I'm kinda stuck here. Our company has a Windows 7 "Upgrade" key that we use on all of our machines and we're trying to find a way to fresh... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimmysmalls, May 3, 2016.

1. Activating Windows 10 with Windows 7 "Upgrade" Key

Hey guys I'm kinda stuck here. Our company has a Windows 7 "Upgrade" key that we use on all of our machines and we're trying to find a way to fresh install Windows 10 using that key but it's giving us an invalid response. If we upgrade the machine from the current Windows 7 installed it works fine but clean is a no-go. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

:)

jimmysmalls, May 3, 2016

2. Mr Manuel E. Gurule

No key is provided with Windows 10 upgrade. The upgrade will use the key from Windows 7 provided Win 7 is up to date.

Cajunswabbie, May 3, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Change Product key (use win 7 key)

So you're saying that if I want to re-install Windows 10, which I upgraded from Windows 8.1, I need to reinstall Windows 8.1 first, then upgrade to Windows 10?

Can't Microsoft just give upgraders a Windows 10 product key?

Nathan00122, May 3, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

Activating Windows 10 with Windows 7 "Upgrade" Key

My guess would be, that it has something to do with the volume license key. I know that you can do a clean install on windows 7/8.1 to 10 with an OEM key.

Plankton, May 4, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    Hi jimmysmalls and welcome to Tenforums.
    A validly activated W7 install is eligible for an upgrade to W10. Once upgraded and activated, W10 can be clean installed as often as you like/need. Of course, that sounds like a two-step process for you. *Sad How many computers are you looking at?

simrick, May 4, 2016
  6. I think your problem is that you are using an older build ISO. Download the ISO from MS now if you haven't done. I think it's the 1511 build.

z31fanatic, May 4, 2016
  7. Probably around 100-150 systems so I was just hoping to make it a little easier. The build I'm using is actually 1511, I thought that was it at first too. Each machine has a Window 7 key on the side that does activate the machine but we were hoping to use our volume license.

jimmysmalls, May 5, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

We have a method here, put together by one of our members, using SysPrep. He has streamlined the method for home users, using tools available to end users, and not large companies. Your 100-150 systems may be a bit much for this procedure, but, based on what you're saying you'd like to do, it may work for you. Please read the tutorial thoroughly, and maybe the last 3 or 4 pages of comments, then post on that thread if you need any help. The member who wrote it, @Kari, will be happy to answer you, once you've digested it all.

Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, May 5, 2016
  9. Thanks for the link, that tutorial is pretty much what we'd like to do. I gave it a shot today and it just refuses to take that upgrade key for some reason. I appreciate the help though.

jimmysmalls, May 6, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    I spoke with @Kari and he said that a volume license could be worked into the answer file very easily. But, it sounds like you have an issue with the key itself, and maybe you need to resolve that before you can go further? I would suggest contacting MS support to find out what the problem is.
    Microsoft Volume Licensing - How Volume Licensing Works

simrick, May 6, 2016
  11. The thing is we can activate any Windows 7 machine with the "upgrade" key just not Windows 10 unless of course we install Windows 7 and then upgrade to 10. Thanks again!

jimmysmalls, May 8, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    If the key is blocked from automatic online activation from Microsoft, then Windows 10 will not activate based upon that Windows 7 product key alone. Windows 10 can only be activated from it if it gets the genuineticket.xml file from the Windows 7 installation. I have a family pack Windows 7 retail product key good for 3 installations at one time. It is blocked from automatic online activation and must be phone activated. Windows 10 will not activate with that key alone - I have to install Windows 7 first, activate it over the phone, save the genuineticket.xml file, then install Windows 10 and activate it with the .xml file.

NavyLCDR, May 8, 2016
  13. kongming Win User

I have the same experience. When first time clean installation, it need Windows 7 activation key and have digital entitlement.
    My question is I need input again when I do second times clean installation?

Thank you.

kongming, May 9, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    No. It will retrieve the digital entitlement from the hardware ID alone, without a product key.

NavyLCDR, May 9, 2016
  15. kongming Win User
    Many thanks.

kongming, May 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Activating Windows 10 with Windows 7 "Upgrade" Key - Similar Threads - Activating Upgrade Key

2. Windows 7 upgrade key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 upgrade key: Hello.My Dell Laptop Inspiron 1525 is running on Windows 7 Professional but once I deactivated services using the MSCONFIG my product ID and status showed as unavailable, and there is a stamp on my desktop "Windows 7 Build 7601, This copy of Windows is not genuine... And I...
  3. Windows 7 upgrade key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 upgrade key: Hello.My Dell Laptop Inspiron 1525 is running on Windows 7 Professional but once I deactivated services using the MSCONFIG my product ID and status showed as unavailable, and there is a stamp on my desktop "Windows 7 Build 7601, This copy of Windows is not genuine... And I...
  4. Activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 product key: A few months ago, I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro while swapping the HDD for an SSD. In doing so, now my installation of Windows 10 is not activated. I stumbled upon a program called ProduKey and it helped me to find my Windows 7 Ultimate...
  5. Upgraded windows 7 to 10 activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded windows 7 to 10 activation: I upgraded my windows 7 home premium to windows 10 and then changed some hardware. Now computer is telling me to activate windows again but my old code won't work. Did i get a new code when i upgraded? I still have the certificate of authenticity....
  6. Activate clean Windows 10 Pro with Windows 7 Upgrade Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activate clean Windows 10 Pro with Windows 7 Upgrade Key: I have a PC that I've been running for many years and it originally had Windows XP which was upgraded to Windows 7 Pro using a purchased Windows 7 Pro Upgrade key. This PC was then later upgraded for free to Windows 10, however the hard drive has failed and I'm replacing the...
  7. My windows 7 key won't activate after upgrade to windows 10

My windows 7 key won't activate after upgrade to windows 10: Hello! I just upgraded PC and used to have the Home Pro version of Windows 7 on CD, but during installation my CD would turn off both my mouse and keyboard so I couldn't proceed. I decided to reinstall Windows with the Tool for it that you put on a USB, on the Microsoft...
  8. Windows 7 to 10 Upgrade, Activation window spinning

Windows 7 to 10 Upgrade, Activation window spinning: Upon completing an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I an unable to activate my copy of Windows. The activation window just spins as if it's loading and never completes. Upon checking the event viewer, I noticed that Software Protection (sppsvc) is not loading with...
  9. Windows 10 Free upgrade, Now reinstalling with Windows 7 Activation key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Free upgrade, Now reinstalling with Windows 7 Activation key: I bought windows 7, years ago and upgraded FOR FREE to windows 10 now. I need to reinstall windows on a new SSD and transfer everything over BUT I will only do a clean install no exceptions. So will my activation code still work for windows 10 I download it?...
  10. Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate!

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate!: Hi, A couple of months ago I decided to finally upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I didn't do a clean install, I just went through the upgrade process. Everything went smoothly, and I've been loving everything about windows 10 since then, but today it started to...