Windows 10: Activating Windows 10 with Windows 8 Key

Discus and support Activating Windows 10 with Windows 8 Key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, So the past two evenings have been an absolute nightmare trying to get Windows 10 re-installed on my computer. Here's a little... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Timster, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Timster Win User

Activating Windows 10 with Windows 8 Key

Hello Everyone,

So the past two evenings have been an absolute nightmare trying to get Windows 10 re-installed on my computer. Here's a little background:

I currently possess a Windows 8.0 key. I previously had upgraded to Windows 8.1 and then in August upgraded to Windows 10. Then, this week, I got the bright idea to attempt a clean install of Windows 10. After a whole bunch of problems with random errors not letting me install, I had to reformat, and reinstall Windows 8.0 and then go to 8.1.

Last night (11/11/15), the Win10 auto-upgrade threw more errors, so finally I burned an ISO to a DVD and did it that way. I was asked to enter a key, tried my Win8 key, failed, and finally used a generic key I found online (TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99). That worked. Note: never, at any point was I allowed to 'skip' entering a key, otherwise I would have done that.

Windows 10 finished installing overnight, and now today I am in the system. BUT it will not activate. It keeps saying that "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

I tried to change the generic key to my Windows 8 key, but it won't accept it. Wasn't this new November update supposed to allow us to use our Windows 8 key?

Does anyone have any solutions? Is there any way I can get Windows 10 activated without going the 8.0 -> 8.1 -> 10 route again? It literally took me two evenings to do it that way the first time.

:)

Timster, Nov 11, 2015
  2. Linney Win User

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3156421) & Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3157993)

Your Windows 8 Product Key will allow you to activate, and use it in Windows 10.

Microsoft Will Now Let Windows 10 Upgraders Use Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Product Key to Activate

Microsoft Will Now Let Windows 10 Upgraders Use Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Product Key to Activate - Thurrott.com

You need to know the details of your Product
    Key in order to use it in any clean install.

Linney, Nov 11, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Pro upgrade from 8.1 home

Volume License key doesn't qualify for free Upgrade.

See
    Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help:

Note

• Some Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1product keys can't be used to activate
      Windows 10, such as product keys for volume licensing, including Generic Volume Licensing Keys (GVLK) and Multiple Activation Keys (MAK), and Windows 7 Enterprise,
      Windows 8 Enterprise, and Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 11, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

It is the "Fall update" build that will allow you to use a win 8 key . Try using the latest iso build 10586 available using the media creation tool. Since you have already installed win 10 you should have a "digital entitlement" with Microsoft for your computer, and win 10 should automatically activate without the need for a key...unless you made a major change to the hardware (like a new mobo). This is from the tutorial forum. It has a link for the media creation tool. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html .

JohnC, Nov 11, 2015
  5. Just for clarification can I burn the new ISO, 10586, and run setup from it on a booted Windows 8.1.1 and upgrade? I saw one PC that wanted a key with the old ISO which I did not know so stopped and see now it wanted that key to get in given above.

carversmith, Nov 11, 2015
  6. Kyhi Win User
    you can run setup.exe within the New Win10 ISO on your current windows 8.1 Host OS
    and do the upgrade from 8.1 to 10

7. Whew... Thank you. That will simplify it for me and several neighbors that want to go but are on slow internet. Suffer once for the large download and it id downhill.
    Thanks again.

carversmith, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Activating Windows 10 with Windows 8 Key - Similar Threads - Activating Key

2. Windows falsely claims activation key was used multiple times.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows falsely claims activation key was used multiple times.: I just got sent a new laptop from my workplace to replace an old one and despite HR not having an issue during setup down in Georgia last week, when I opened it up here in NC it started complaining about the product key being used on another device. My best guess is the MS...
  3. Windows falsely claims activation key was used multiple times.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows falsely claims activation key was used multiple times.: I just got sent a new laptop from my workplace to replace an old one and despite HR not having an issue during setup down in Georgia last week, when I opened it up here in NC it started complaining about the product key being used on another device. My best guess is the MS...
  4. Windows falsely claims activation key was used multiple times.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Why I can't activate with genuine key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why I can't activate with genuine key?: **** you and your activation !I won't s*ck with this all the day , instead i will activate with a CRACK program, so much for your "activation" So if you want to more genuine Windows then first make this process useful instead of useless !...
  6. Why I can't activate with genuine key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why I can't activate with genuine key?: **** you and your activation !I won't s*ck with this all the day , instead i will activate with a CRACK program, so much for your "activation" So if you want to more genuine Windows then first make this process useful instead of useless !...
  7. Why I can't activate with genuine key?

8. Windows 11 Activation Key Error. Error: Product Not Found. I also get 0x8007000d error when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Activation Key Error. Error: Product Not Found. I also get 0x8007000d error when...: So I recently spoofed my hardware and then reset it, now. Running SFC /Scannow:Goes up to 100% then says Windows Resource Protection could not complete the requested action or whatever.Also in title says more. Please help....
  9. Windows 11 Activation Key Error. Error: Product Not Found. I also get 0x8007000d error when...

Windows 11 Activation Key Error. Error: Product Not Found. I also get 0x8007000d error when...: So I recently spoofed my hardware and then reset it, now. Running SFC /Scannow:Goes up to 100% then says Windows Resource Protection could not complete the requested action or whatever.Also in title says more. Please help....
  10. Windows not activating even when given a key.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not activating even when given a key.: So I recently changed my motherboard of my old system and windows started to annoy me about not being activated, windows 10 pro from retailer is binded to my microsoft account, so I found this weird. Although it worked perfectly fine and I have the activated windows features....