Windows 10: Activation after clone to SSD?

Discus and support Activation after clone to SSD? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Sorry if this has been covered. laptop has Win 10 that was an free upgrade from Windows 7. If I clone to SSD will activation remain? I know if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mingus, Oct 29, 2015.

1. mingus Win User

Activation after clone to SSD?

Sorry if this has been covered.

laptop has Win 10 that was an free upgrade from Windows 7. If I clone to SSD will activation remain? I know if hardware changes will be an issue. I will backup key just in case, not sure it is needed. later hopefully a fresh install.

I have used Easeus and Acronis in the past with Windows 7, always with bootable media to do the clone. first time cloning windows 10, was thinking about Macrium, just never tried it. Put the new SSD in place and boot to the HDD as external?

thx

:)

mingus, Oct 29, 2015
  2. mrobo11 Win User

Install Windows 10 on same computer two hard drives

Do so: install and activate the windows 10,

after then use some hdd clone program and clone partition from hdd where is the os installed and activated to another after boot from second hdd

or

install windows on first hdd and activate,

register to insider program, and download insider windows version and install on second hdd and activate

mrobo11, Oct 29, 2015
  3. Clone hdd with windows 10 on another computer that has windows 10 licence

Hello,

I have 3 same model laptops. All of them have Windows 10 licences. I would like to setup the environment (settings, partitions, software) for one of them and after that clone the HDD to the other 2 laptops. I'm not sure how the activation will act if I do
    so. Can you please tell me if it is okay to do so and if any further activation steps are necessary on the laptops after drive cloning?

Guntis Vaivods, Oct 29, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

The Product Key won't do you any good for activating Windows 10 because it is the same generic Product Key that everyone gets from an upgrade. Windows 10 should remain activated and a subsequent clean install should activate itself. You can enter the generic product key when asked, or "skip" or "do this later" when asked for a product key during a clean install. But if you do not have an activation stored on MS activation servers (and you should), the generic product key will not cause activation.

You can use Macrium Reflect Free in three different ways:

1. Make a Macrium Reflect rescue media (USB or DVD) - and boot from that. Then you can either clone directly from the HDD to the SSD with both connected at the same time - or create an image file from the HDD and then restore the image file to SSD.

2. Install Macrium Reflect and then create a boot menu item to boot into Reflect off the HDD instead of all the way into Windows 10. Then either two options for cloning - either directly or through an image file.

3. Install Macrium Reflect and just run it from within Windows 10.

The one thing that you will want to do is make sure to boot the computer at least once with only the SSD connected. This will make sure that everything required to boot is on the SSD and it is stand alone for the OS. Then after you reconnect the HDD - make sure that bios is still set to boot from the SSD and does not revert back to the HDD.

NavyLCDR, Oct 29, 2015
  5. mingus Win User
    Thanks for this. It's a laptop, so the SSD will replace the HDD. I like using the boot CDs so will make one of those. I bought Macrium 5 for my desktop, never had to use it.

This will be an clone, not a fresh install. changing a piece of hardware (hard drive) will not trigger activation?

Does it make sense to install the new SSD in the notebook with the HDD as External USB3?

Will attempt this tomorrow morning. Thanks.

mingus, Nov 1, 2015
  6. mingus Win User
    Update:

Macrium 6 Free didn't have a "Clone" feature, so I made and image of the 750gb HDD that had total 100gb (OS+Data), then tried to restore to 500GB SSD and just got error "not enough room on target disk". I did try to figure out to how to resize, nothing made sense.

I put in an Acronis 2014 Boot CD with the SSD in place and the original HDD as USB 3.0 external and it cloned it perfectly to the smaller SSD. Activation remained.

mingus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Activation after clone to SSD? - Similar Threads - Activation clone SSD

2. Issue after cloning SSD drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issue after cloning SSD drive: Hi there I have cloned my 500gb SSD drive with Windows 10 64bit on to a 2tb SSD after running out of space after doing so the partion is followed by a Microsoft partition before the unallocated space so Im unable to extend the volume is there a workaround even if it means...
  3. Issue after cloning SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue after cloning SSD drive: Hi there I have cloned my 500gb SSD drive with Windows 10 64bit on to a 2tb SSD after running out of space after doing so the partion is followed by a Microsoft partition before the unallocated space so Im unable to extend the volume is there a workaround even if it means...
  4. Issue after cloning SSD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SSD won't boot after clone

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD won't boot after clone: Hi all, I have cloned several SSDs in the past without trouble, but this time I am stuck. I cloned the original Toshiba hard drive using Macrium Reflect to a new Samsung SSD. And it appeared to clone everything correctly. I then powered off my computer and swapped out the...
  6. Issue with permissions after cloning ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue with permissions after cloning ssd: So my main drive was a 120gb ssd, long story short I was getting sick of running out of memory all the time so I cloned it to a 1TB m.2. All I did was boot to it, then use Minitool to expand the primary partition. I first noticed problems when I tried to download games onto...
  7. Clone ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone ssd: Hi all if I want to install a 500gb ssd can I clone my 120 ssd to it. Its not my c drive its the g drive I just need more room for games I will be giving the old ssd to my son to make a boot drive 67592
  8. SSD cloned ..?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD cloned ..?: Hi All I just cloned the new SSD from 128GB to 256GB And the main partition is not quite exactly the same I don't have the star screw driver to replace it yet .. so I don't know if it works or not Any advice Thanks [img] 21028
  9. SSD Clone to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...
  10. Cloning to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning to SSD: First question here on 10 forum but used 7 forum lots. Anyway I am trying to clone the HDD? reduced partion to 450GB so as to be less than theSSD on my laptop. Trying to clone to a Samsung EVO 850 500GB. I have used the Samsung migration software and a version of EaseUS both...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. activate windows after transfer ssd

2. clone windows 10 ssd to another ssd activation problem?

3. clone to ssd windows activation