Windows 10: Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade

Discus and support Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm updating my wife's Home PC to a new CPU and mobo (old had only 4G DDR2 memory and was slower than molasses). This PC was originally Win 7 Home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by rzn6jw, Aug 8, 2017.

1. rzn6jw Win User

Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade

I'm updating my wife's Home PC to a new CPU and mobo (old had only 4G DDR2 memory and was slower than molasses).

This PC was originally Win 7 Home and I used the free upgrade facility to go to Win 10 Home. This PC is listed as one of my devices under my account at Microsoft.com.

Am I going to have any problem activating the PC after the hardware upgrade, or is it as simple as updating and signing on the my Microsoft account?

Thanks.

:)

rzn6jw, Aug 8, 2017

2. First time computer Build gone bad. Now windows will not activate.

Hello all,

I recently built my first computer with out a lot of research. Come to find out that my CPU and Memory did not jive with my mother board. Short story, my computer would crash after 15 - 20 minutes. So I found a MOBO that matched my CPU and Memory, I installed
    it and now windows shows not activated and says product key being used on another pc. I bought the full retail version on windows 7 Professional and used the free upgrade to 10. ne last thought/ question. Can I put the original MOBO back in, deactivate windows
    10, then switch the MOBO back to the new one and activate?

Thank you in advance,

Ed

EdwardLouria, Aug 8, 2017
  3. windows 10 hardware cannot be upgraded after installation without buying a new product key code from windows store.

In any case, it is not true that "Windows 10 hardware cannot be upgraded after installation without buying a new product key" as your title says. All kinds of hardware can be upgraded without losing activation. I have already changed a video card and a
    system hard drive. I'm sure I could swap out or add memory also.

You cannot change the mobo or the cpu, however. The new activation technology uses the serial numbers from these. I have read elsewhere that it also uses the NIC serial, but some posters have reported changing an NIC. Based on your experience, my guess
    is that you can't change an NIC without using phone activation to get reactivated.

But, bottom line, you CAN change the hardware configuration without losing activation. It just can't involve the mobo or cpu.

Cbarnhorst, Aug 8, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Aug 8, 2017
Thema:

1. Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade - Similar Threads - Activation CPU mobo

2. Upgrade mobo and cpu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade mobo and cpu: Hello im upgrading my motherboardand cpu,and my question is what i need to archivemaybe my windows?Also were I can find my windows key?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-mobo-and-cpu/62c21727-4492-4af4-87a4-eab84b67dd49
  3. Upgrade mobo and cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade mobo and cpu: Hello im upgrading my motherboardand cpu,and my question is what i need to archivemaybe my windows?Also were I can find my windows key?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-mobo-and-cpu/62c21727-4492-4af4-87a4-eab84b67dd49
  4. Upgrade mobo and cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Random BSOD after CPU/mobo/ram upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random BSOD after CPU/mobo/ram upgrade: Hello,I know it is recommended to do a clean install after a complete platform upgrade, but i would rather not do that at this moment in time.I recently upgraded my pc from a Ryzen 5 5600x, 32gb 2666mhz ddr4 and an asus ROG motherboard, to a Ryzen 9 7900, 32gb 5600mhz ddr5...
  6. Activation error after MOBO CPU change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation error after MOBO CPU change: Been using this key since 2015, changed the mobo a couple times already. Never had a problem. This week I finally got a new CPU and a new mobo and have an issue activating Windows 11 Pro: Error 0xC004C060HelpATTTiago Gass...
  7. Activation error after MOBO CPU change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation error after MOBO CPU change: Been using this key since 2015, changed the mobo a couple times already. Never had a problem. This week I finally got a new CPU and a new mobo and have an issue activating Windows 11 Pro: Error 0xC004C060HelpATTTiago Gass...
  8. Looking to upgrade CPU and Mobo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Looking to upgrade CPU and Mobo: Hey Guys! Here are my computer specs: Dell XPS 8700 Original Motherboard CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 @ 3GHz Quad core 3001Mhz Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X series (2 x 8GB) 240pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti I was looking to upgrade my CPU and motherboard and...
  9. Windows activation after mobo and cpu change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows activation after mobo and cpu change: Hello, I've recently replaced my mobo and cpu and now my Windows 10 is not activated. Before the hardware upgrade I'd checked the activation was linked to my Windows account and I'm signed in on that same account post-upgrade but the troubleshooter isn't working. When I...
  10. Windows 10 activation after a mobo+cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 activation after a mobo+cpu upgrade: I recently changed my mobo and cpu and after i had to reinstall windows but when it booted up. I noticed the watermark in the bottom right corner. And i tried to activate windows and i dindt succeed i tried the option to activate windows after a hardware change and i...