Windows 10: Activation after new hardware upgrades?

Discus and support Activation after new hardware upgrades? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have 4 systems to maintain - all had Win7 Ultimate 64bit, and all upgraded (free) to Win10 Pro successfully. Toward the end of this year, all 4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by red454, Sep 30, 2015.

1. red454 Win User

Activation after new hardware upgrades?

I have 4 systems to maintain - all had Win7 Ultimate 64bit, and all upgraded (free) to Win10 Pro successfully. Toward the end of this year, all 4 systems will have new motherboards, CPUs, memory and possibly SSDs.

I understand that major hardware changes will cause a deactivation state in Win10 (although I never had any issues with Win7 and hardware upgrades). It would be nice to just pop the old SSDs into each new system, do a few driver updates and be done...

I have seen references that the Win10 upgrade was ONLY good for the hardware it was installed on and you will have to purchase a copy of Win10 for your new hardware. I have also seen references that all you have to do is call MicroSoft, explain about your new hardware and reactivation should not typically be a problem.

I know I can start from scratch and put the original 7 on all of them and then do the free Win10 upgrade again, but this is tedious and I will likely lose most, if not all, of the third-party software (and games) that I had installed across the systems.

So the question is: has anyone done a major hardware upgrade after a free upgrade to Win10 from a valid Win7 / Win8 and successfully reactivated (assuming you were prompted for a reactivation)?

:)

red454, Sep 30, 2015

2. Planning to upgrade processor, motherboard, RAM, etc

I have updated to Anniversary version 1607 and I read somewhere on some websites that after upgrading hardware there is option while re-activating to choose with new hardware. But before upgrading our e-mail should be linked to PC. In version 1607 there
    is facility to re-activate after changing hardware.

Ashish Parate, Sep 30, 2015
  3. John Ado Win User
    Can't activate on new "hardware".

Hi DirkXZ,

If the license was purchased from Microsoft Store, you will really receive a digital license. You will only get a product key if you purchased it from an authorized retailer. Digital license is more convenient as you won't need to have the number with you
    to activate the license. It's it tied up on your Microsoft account. To activate your Windows, make sure that you will use your Microsoft account as the administrator account on your device.

If this is what you've been doing, can you tell us the exact error message? Also, which VM are you using? Can you try with Bootcamp one more time and check if the heating issue persists? If so, you might have to report this issue on Apple. For initial troubleshooting,
    review these articles:

We look forward to your response.

John Ado, Sep 30, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If you put in a new motherboard and CPU - it is a very BAD idea to move the old Windows installation over to it anyway due to the major differences in drivers that will result.

But, if you really want to try it that way - replace all the components and put in a blank hard drive or SSD. Install Windows 7 to it. Upgrade to Windows 10. Make sure that is activated. Then either put the old hard drive back in or clone the old hard drive to the new hard drive/SSD. The old Windows 10 should calculate the same Hardware ID for the new components as the upgrade Windows 10 did and will retrieve the activation from the activation servers that was pushed when you did the Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade prior. Maybe. Worth a try.

If you previously had Windows 7 retail licenses and product keys, read the Windows 10 upgrade EULA and notice that it says that retail licenses are supposed to upgrade to retail licenses and retain transferability, but in reality they upgrade to OEM licenses of Windows 10. Push the issue with Microsoft and they might give you retail Product Keys for Windows 10.

If you had OEM licenses for Windows 7 before, then it violates the EULA to transfer those Windows 7 (and resulting Windows 10 upgrades) to the new systems created by a motherboard and CPU upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Sep 30, 2015
  5. red454 Win User
    Interesting approach - and I do have retail copies, not OEM...

red454, Sep 30, 2015
  6. red454 Win User
    I took an image of one system and put it on a fresh SSD and installed that SSD on a different motherboard that I had never used. It went through a couple of updates, black screens, then some registry updates and then booted up with no issues. I checked the activation, and as I suspected it says that I needed to call MS for activation, which I have not done yet since this was just a test for now.

red454, Sep 30, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    But you had never upgraded that motherboard from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 previously? That was the first step of my suggestion.

It should have been install fresh SSD on the new motherboard. Install Windows 7 on it. Upgrade it to Windows 10. THEN copy the other Windows 10 image over to it.

NavyLCDR, Oct 1, 2015
  8. red454 Win User

Right - my point was to see what would happen if I tried the OS from one system on a totally different motherboard, and it went better than I expected, other than the activation - which I expected. I did chat with a Microsoft rep today online and he confirmed that after the hardware upgrade on a free Win10 upgrade that they (Mircosoft) will have to remote access my system to verify the proper key, etc. before they can reactivate it.

red454, Oct 1, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'll have to look back in old posts but someone found a way to install Windows 7/8/8.1 on a second partition on a cloned hard drive on a new motherboard, ran the getosstate.exe found on the Windows 10 ISO, copy the resulting XML file to a specific location on the cloned Windows 10 and get an activation for the Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Oct 1, 2015
  10. red454 Win User
    Was it something like this: (?) Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

red454, Oct 1, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Oct 1, 2015
  12. red454 Win User
    red454, Oct 1, 2015
  13. red454 Win User

So we know a motherboard change will cause a deactivation, but how about if you only change memory? Or only a hard drive? Or only a video card?

red454, Nov 13, 2015
  14. red454 Win User
    Well, I verified that changing memory / hard drive / GPU had did not cause any activation issues.

red454, Jan 12, 2016
  15. cereberus Win User
    The grey area seems to be changing the cpu on same motherboard. I have seen people claim it does not affect activation, and others say the opposite (on other forums). However, most people change a whole mobo.

cereberus, Jan 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Activation after new hardware upgrades? - Similar Threads - Activation hardware upgrades

2. Windows Activation after Hardware Upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation after Hardware Upgrade: Hello, so I had recently gotten some new parts for my PC Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Case but I'm still using the HDD and SSD I had in my old pc beforehand. When I booted up the new PC and waited a bit I noticed the "Activate Windows" in the bottom corner so I went to check...
  3. Activating Windows After A Hardware Upgrade

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Activating Windows After A Hardware Upgrade: I recently swapped out my motherboard and CPU for some well overdue upgrades. There didn't seem to be a any issues when I first started using the new hardware in the morning, but after returning from work in the evening I now have to reactivate my Windows key. I used the...
  4. Activating after hardware upgrade

Activating after hardware upgrade: I know NOW that i should have linked my license to my Microsoft account and gotten a product key. I didn't know that before I changed my motherboard, cpu and memory. My question is, if I now change back to my old hardware, will Windows be activated again and can I then do...
  5. Windows will not activate after hardware upgrades

Windows will not activate after hardware upgrades: I recently upgraded the hardware in my computer (motherboard, CPU, RAM). Windows will not activate now. The error code I have is, 0xC004F025 I've tried everything from this KBA, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change It...
  6. Activation after hardware upgrade

Activation after hardware upgrade: I upgraded my MB, cpu and ram and am unable to activate windows 10. I linked my windows licence to my Microsoft account before my upgrade but it will not let me activate. I've tried trouble shooting activation (clicking on changed hardware) and customer support, but they...
  7. Windows Activation After Hardware upgrade

Windows Activation After Hardware upgrade: I bought Windows 8 in 2013 and did the free Windows 10 upgrade. I no longer have access to my original Windows 8 product key. I recently upgraded my motherboard, cpu, and ram. when I tried to activate windows 10 it gives me an error code: 0x803F7001. My Windows 10 was linked...
  8. Windows Activation after hardware upgrade

Windows Activation after hardware upgrade: We have a laptop Manufacturer: LENOVO Model: 20C600HHZA Serial Number: PF040HX3 that currently running Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.10586 that was upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10. We need to replace the harddrive, is it possible to activate it again on...
  9. activation after new hardware

in Windows 10 Customization
    activation after new hardware: hi, i have a new computer and using my old ssd, i have a 2 different win keys from the older computer (one was on the system and i bought a win professional) i cant activate with them, and i have a new key on the other ssd which was in the new system. how can i get the...
  10. Activation after hardware upgrade

Activation after hardware upgrade: Just a quick question please, is there any way of reactivating a digital entitlement license obtained by upgrading from Win7 for free, on upgraded hardware, without having to link a MS account? Privacy issues and all that...I know phone activation worked for me with Win7 once...