Windows 10: Activation error and corrupted windows.old

Discus and support Activation error and corrupted windows.old in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I recently did a clean install of windows 10 (over my free upgrade of windows 10 from 8.1). Previous windows 10 version was properly activated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Shantanu, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Shantanu Win User

Activation error and corrupted windows.old

Hello,
    I recently did a clean install of windows 10 (over my free upgrade of windows 10 from 8.1). Previous windows 10 version was properly activated and I used it for 6 months.

In this process something went wrong and the installer created two windows.old ( naming windows.old and windows.old.000). Windows.old.000 seems to be corrupted and that version was not activated hence it has the generic key of 8hvx7. Because of this I am getting Key Activation Error 0xC004C003

I found out the original authentic key from windows.old using showkeyplus software.

I want to remove that corrupted windows.old.000 but want to keep windows.old and I would like windows to automatically recognize my authentic key.

Should I just enter my key or should I delete windows.old.000?

Please help. Thanks

:)

Shantanu, Mar 31, 2016

2. corrupt file in Windows.old folder

1. When did you purchase the Dell Inspiron?

2. Did the computer come with Win8.1 or Win7 preinstalled?

3. Was the Win10 upgrade offered & installed via Windows Update or did you upgrade manually using the Media Creation Tool?

4. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

5. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Mar 31, 2016
  3. corrupt file in Windows.old folder

I updated my Dell Inspiron 15 laptop to windows 10. I found a corrupt file in C:\Windows.old\Windows\servicing\Packages

Microsoft-Windows-PlatformUpdate.....cat 2/1/2013. I spent days just locating the exact file. I have tried every

thing. Safe mode, running SFC. Even chkdsk will not work. If I try to delete it (even in safe mode) the computer

hangs up. Anytime any program encounters the file it hangs ups. Often the only solution is to hold down the power

button to force a shutdown. I made a boot disk but it was in 2014 after the date of the corrupt file so I assume using

that would be useless. I had windows 7 originally installed on the laptop but the disk that came with the computer

is windows 8.1 so I can not use that.

As you can see I have tried just about everything so. Thanks for listening.

Original title: corrupt file

treborpowers, Mar 31, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 never activates itself from Windows.old. You can try entering the Windows 8.1 key you recovered. A clean install after an activated upgrade is supposed to activate itself by retrieving the digital entitlement from Microsoft activation servers, not from Windows.old. You have the correct product key for Windows 10 Home that you are supposed to have for a digital entitlement activation.

NavyLCDR, Mar 31, 2016
  5. Shantanu Win User
    Now I am getting new error.
    Activation error and corrupted windows.old [​IMG]

Shantanu, Mar 31, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    By any chance, did Showkey show a product key stored in bios which would be listed as the OEM key?

NavyLCDR, Mar 31, 2016
  7. Shantanu Win User
    Yes it does shows the OEM key and OEM Edition which is "win 8.1 RTM" which was pre installed on my laptop

Shantanu, Mar 31, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

I would try that key, then.

NavyLCDR, Mar 31, 2016
  9. Shantanu Win User
    It gives me this error when I enter that key

Shantanu, Mar 31, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    So let's try this to figure out what might be going wrong.

Run winver and post the result window here. Also, open an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt and run:
    slmgr /dlv

post that result here. Maybe we can then see where the disconnect is happening.

NavyLCDR, Mar 31, 2016
  11. Shantanu Win User

Shantanu, Mar 31, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Everything looks good there. I'm afraid it looks like your only options are going to be to temporarily install Windows 8 and make sure it is activated correctly, then go back to Windows 10 and you should be able to use the same product key that activated Windows 8 to activate Windows 10 - or you can do the upgrade from 8 to 10 again - or you can capture the genuineticket.xml file in Windows 8 to activate Windows 10 with. Or purchase a product key for Windows 10.

I am not sure if deleting the Windows.old.000 would then allow you to revert back using Windows.old or not.

You can do a temporary install of Windows 8 on a separate hard drive or if you have room make a partition for it on your current hard drive. Personally, if it was me, I would back up what I want to save on a USB thumb drive or USB hard drive, wipe the installed hard drive and start over from scratch with a new install of Windows 8.

NavyLCDR, Mar 31, 2016
  13. Shantanu Win User

Is there absolutely no other way? My laptop is still under warranty, can I ask HP to do something about it?

Shantanu, Mar 31, 2016
  14. Superfly Win User
    Sounds like a mis-matched edition - can you post a screenshot of ShowKey of Windows.old (remember to click the key/s first)

Superfly, Mar 31, 2016
  15. Shantanu Win User
    I just contacted MS support and they gave me a new key... Everything is solved now *Biggrin

Shantanu, Mar 31, 2016
Thema:

1. Activation error and corrupted windows.old - Similar Threads - Activation error corrupted

2. Error 0x80041014 when transferring a Windows activation from an old laptop.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Error 0x80041014 when transferring a Windows activation from an old laptop.: I recently got a new laptop and I'm trying to activate Windows with the product key on the old laptop. I have Windows 10 Pro installed on the old one and the new one came with Windows 11 Home, so I did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro.When I try to change the product key to...
  3. Error 0x80041014 when transferring a Windows activation from an old laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x80041014 when transferring a Windows activation from an old laptop.: I recently got a new laptop and I'm trying to activate Windows with the product key on the old laptop. I have Windows 10 Pro installed on the old one and the new one came with Windows 11 Home, so I did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro.When I try to change the product key to...
  4. Error 0x80041014 when transferring a Windows activation from an old laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Activating Windows 7 on an old PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating Windows 7 on an old PC: Hi,A few months ago I upgraded my PC to give me a more modern machine with a faster processor and more memory. It came with Windows 11 which is serves me well.I am left with an old machine which which still works but is a bit underpowered by modern standards. What I want to...
  6. Activating Windows 7 on an old PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating Windows 7 on an old PC: Hi,A few months ago I upgraded my PC to give me a more modern machine with a faster processor and more memory. It came with Windows 11 which is serves me well.I am left with an old machine which which still works but is a bit underpowered by modern standards. What I want to...
  7. Windows Activation on my old laptop

Windows Activation on my old laptop: Hello! So here's my problem. In 2017, my mom bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Installed. After a year, that new laptop was broken due to spilled water. So I bought myself an SSD enclosure and saved the files, in which, it has Windows 10 Installed. April 5, 2020, I have...
  8. Activating Windows on Old School Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activating Windows on Old School Laptop: how on earth do you activate windows on an old school laptop? right now im using windows non genuine 10 version. i dont have my product key because i didnt purchase it from anyone, i used it at school and never took it back, so nowhere on the PC shows its product key either....
  9. Old Motherboard and Windows Activation

Old Motherboard and Windows Activation: Code 0xC004F211 - Windows reported that the hardware of your device has changed. I have had some trouble with motherboard over the last couple of months, switching between a gigabyte and msi. Both these mobos decided to die and I got gifted another msi mobo from a friend...
  10. Activation with old key?

Activation with old key?: So, I had Win 8.1 retail on my machine, updated it to W10. Now I swapped the mobo and trying to activate W10 again. It won't accept my old serial...is there a way to activate it? I thought retail (not OEM) versions could be transferred to a new build as long as they are...