Windows 10: Activation says linked to your Microsoft account, how do you sell it?

Discus and support Activation says linked to your Microsoft account, how do you sell it? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I did not miss that: It's absolutely the same if you use DISKPART to wipe the disk before installing, or if you do it in Windows Setup by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by sdowney717, Nov 11, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Activation says linked to your Microsoft account, how do you sell it?

I think I have not made it clear enough. I was talking about how to wipe drive BUT no carrying on to install windows at all.

I also advocated using "clean all" which completely wipes data.

Actually there is a difference between the diskpart command (using clean all) and deleting partitions if you do reinstall windows. With latter, tools like recuva could still retrieve data. With the diskpart 'clean all', data is nuked completely. As OP is selling PC, it is up to him to judge whether to take risk with quicker method or not.

Personally, I would take longer approach if selling pc for peace of mind.

cereberus, Nov 11, 2017

2. No it doesn't change the end result, assuming they install Windows 10. That's not a given, especially if the drive is blank. Preinstall it and leave it at the OOBE and odds are they will at least do that.

IMHO what your suggesting and what cereberus suggested are not the same thing.

alphanumeric, Nov 11, 2017
  3. @cereberus I like your plan, wipe the drive. If I was passing my PC on to friend or family what I'd likely do is install the edition it got with via free upgrade, in my case 10 Pro. If It was going to parts unknown, I'd wipe it clean like your advising.

alphanumeric, Nov 11, 2017
  4. Barman58 Win User

We also have to remember that there are commercial differences to be considered -

A majority of users contributing to this thread have the ability to "Recycle" the licence, (Retail from MSDN Etc), on a future project.

The vast majority of those selling a used system cannot legitimately re-use the OS as it is an OEM that came with the hardware.

In these cases it's makes more sense to sell the complete "package" of Hardware and OOBE prepared OS. There is also a considerable financial gain potential, as the mass market are used to buying a Plug and Play computing experience and are used to paying extra for the privilege, the add on price of the OS can easily return at least the cost of the OEM install media and key that they would need to purchase ( assuming that they are intending to run windows). In this situation I would not offer an option of with or without OS as there would be less profit margin to the seller

Barman58, Nov 11, 2017
  5. It may also result in one less pirated system out there. *Wink

Some people just won't pay for anything. Give them an already legal activated 10 Home, and maybe they won't cheat their way to get 10 Pro.

alphanumeric, Nov 12, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Fair points, but if you want to leave Windows on pc and also go through oobe experience, then all you have to do is use 'reset my pc', keeping nothing, selecting option to wipe pc for selling which takes longer as it overwrites everything.

I know we have digressed a bit but securely wiping drive before selling it is worth considering.

cereberus, Nov 12, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    Depending on hardware, that can take a few hours. Clean installing until OOBE, wiping the hard disk takes 10 to 15 minutes. Quite a difference.

That's a simple reason why I consider Windows reset being an utterly useless feature. Two methods, same result, huge difference in time required.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

I agree. I can't see myself ever using the built in reset feature.

NavyLCDR, Nov 12, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Well I totally disagree with you. Your method does not securely wipe data from drive for resale. So what if it takes 4 hours - just let it run overnight. Time is irrelevant - data security is not!

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Activation says linked to your Microsoft account, how do you sell it? - Similar Threads - Activation says linked

2. How do you remove a minecraft account from your microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you remove a minecraft account from your microsoft account?: Hello, I am trying to link my minecraft account to my microsoft account and it says that there is already a minecraft account linked with my microsoft account. I was wondering how I can remove that minecraft account as i have no idea what that account is and I would like my...
  3. How do you remove a minecraft account from your microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you remove a minecraft account from your microsoft account?: Hello, I am trying to link my minecraft account to my microsoft account and it says that there is already a minecraft account linked with my microsoft account. I was wondering how I can remove that minecraft account as i have no idea what that account is and I would like my...
  4. "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account": Hi! I want to get a new SSD and was wondering if my edition of windows 11 would transfer to the new SSD if i download windows 11 and log into Microsoft on it. If not i would like to know if there is any way i could transfer my edition of windows 11 to a new SSD....
  5. "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account": Hi! I want to get a new SSD and was wondering if my edition of windows 11 would transfer to the new SSD if i download windows 11 and log into Microsoft on it. If not i would like to know if there is any way i could transfer my edition of windows 11 to a new SSD....
  6. "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". Does this...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". Does this...: I recently purchased this PC to part out, as I needed a new GPU and this was the most effective method I had due to current production issues. I did basic setup on the device to get the product key which I have written down, but in the settings page it states that the digital...
  7. How do you change your Microsoft account email address.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you change your Microsoft account email address.: I want to switch from my Yahoo Mail account to my Gmail, but it seems as if there are a lot of hurdles in doing so. submitted by /u/j_abitante [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hgej8u/how_do_you_change_your_microsoft_account_email/
  8. MyFiles is linked to your Microsoft Account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MyFiles is linked to your Microsoft Account.: Hello Everybody, I was reading over the material again about not being able to re-connect my Windows 10 PC & my Mobile Phone ever since we did a Windows 10 System Recovery via a USB Media Creation Tool. I came across that page that tells you what sies/apps/whatever is...
  9. windows is activated with a digital license linked to your microsoft account

windows is activated with a digital license linked to your microsoft account: Hi I have a laptop come with win 10 home single language, and I upgrade the win 10 to Pro by license kay, then I linked my Microsoft account, today I format my laptop and I installed a win 10 from Microsoft website, when I entered my Microsoft email I the win 10 account, it...
  10. Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account - How to reinstall

Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account - How to reinstall: My Windows 10 results from Windows 7 being freely upgraded and is classified as 'Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account' It is Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.17134. I may need to do one of two things: 1. Reinstall windows on my...