Windows 10: Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License"

Discus and support Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License" in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; This is screen shots I captured from an earlier attempt. It shows product code after being activated? [img] [img] Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by alphanumeric, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License"

This is screen shots I captured from an earlier attempt. It shows product code after being activated?

Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License" [​IMG]

alphanumeric, Aug 9, 2016

2. I was running a fully updated 1507 on my PC. It was my daily user. It was only after the upgrade to the Anniversary Edition that it toggled to show Activated with a Digital License.

3. Wynona Win User
    And I think I have something different . . .

Bare metal install gave me Windows 10 Home, although I had upgraded to Pro.
    Clicked on Change Key and inserted my Windows 8.1 Pro Key
    Activation Results shown in Snippet:

I inserted a Product Key but I'm still shown the above.

I really don't care what it shows; I'm activated.

Wynona, Aug 9, 2016
  4. Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License"

The latest build 1607 Anniversary Update gives you a Digital License automatically, even with retail keys. 1511, for me anyway, does not do that?

5. Wynona Win User
    1511 is so last week . . . *Roflmao2*Roflmao2*Roflmao2

Uh oh! StarFerret got to my keyboard again!

Wynona, Aug 9, 2016
  6. TrustMe Win User
    Thanks for the reply,

I am now linked to my MS account and still able to boot directly to the Desktop.

TrustMe, Aug 9, 2016
  7. This whole discussion started because (for me) before the Anniversary Update my Windows 10 Education installs all showed as activated with a Product key. On a clean install I had to enter key to activate. If I did a skip key, they wouldn't activate. That's changed now. They switched to Activated with a Digital License and I can do a skip key on a clean install. To me this was new as of the 1607 release. Kari says no its always been like that. What he did bears that out. I don't see that behavior in my clean installs though?. That's not how its working for me?

8. Kari Win User

Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License"

This is valid, with a small "but":
    *Smile

9. That install has been activated at least twice already, and showed as activated. Same product code used each time. On the next clean install with a skip key, it shows as unactivated?

10. Kari Win User
    I cannot reproduce this. The scenario in second of my videos, that happens for me every time: I have version 1511, fully updated. I boot with install media, wipe the HDD clean removing all partitions and reinstall version 1511. It is always automatically activated.

I've used a dozen of keys for these tests now, on an HP ProBook 4530 laptop and Hyper-V virtual machines.

11. Just started one more clean install of 1511. Wiped the drive clean. Didn't enter a key. Wired connection this time. It's now at the Getting critical updates. When it gets to the desktop I'll set the correct date and time and post some captures I did with my camera.

12. Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License" [​IMG]

Sorry for the quality, they were taken with my camera. We'd all be old and grey by the time I learned to do a video capture. lol, I'm old and grey now.

13. Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License"

I guess the final answer is YMMV? Unless its because I'm using Education and Kari is using Pro? On MSDN, they are two different ISO's. If I use Pro or Home they'll auto activate with the digital entitlements they already have and prove nothing.

14. Kari, if your keys are Retail keys they should be usable on another PC. They are used, but not used up. *Wink

15. Barman58 Win User
    I was always expecting education to act the same or very similar to Enterprise as it will often be used in a similar server based networked environment. I was surprised when I heard reliable reports of it behaving as pro and home

Barman58, Aug 9, 2016
Thema:

Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License"

1. Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License" - Similar Threads - Activation switched product

2. We need product activation keys for digital licenses

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We need product activation keys for digital licenses: I reinstalled windows this morning to fix some WHEA ID 1 errors and now I can't activate it. I spent ~3 hours dealing with Microsoft technical support because even though I'm using the same account, the activation troubleshooter doesn't recognize my computer.Nobody was able...
  3. We need product activation keys for digital licenses

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    We need product activation keys for digital licenses: I reinstalled windows this morning to fix some WHEA ID 1 errors and now I can't activate it. I spent ~3 hours dealing with Microsoft technical support because even though I'm using the same account, the activation troubleshooter doesn't recognize my computer.Nobody was able...
  4. We need product activation keys for digital licenses

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows License #/Digital Product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows License #/Digital Product key: Hello there,I have 2 different hard drives that have sentimental files on them I was asked by the owners to retrieve the files. However, both of them seem to require a windows update to be able to do anything with the files. I am only capable of accessing these drives by...
  6. Windows License #/Digital Product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows License #/Digital Product key: Hello there,I have 2 different hard drives that have sentimental files on them I was asked by the owners to retrieve the files. However, both of them seem to require a windows update to be able to do anything with the files. I am only capable of accessing these drives by...
  7. Transfer digital license to product key

Transfer digital license to product key: Is there a way for me to do this without calling microsoft support for a remote assist? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-digital-license-to-product-key/14313ea7-9863-4bc5-bb90-c49b8c27022b
  8. Product key? Or, digital license?

Product key? Or, digital license?: Dell Inspiron 3647. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro free upgrade. No tech will be attempting a hard drive change. For reinstalling, I keep reading a 25 character product key. I have 20. It does specify Windows 10 is activated with a digital license. I know once I...
  9. Changing from Digital License to Product Key

Changing from Digital License to Product Key: I have got my windows with a digital License. My college has provided me with product key for windows 10 for education purposes. If I activate that key, will my digital License be still valid for a later use?...
  10. [Windows 10] Switch from digital license to product key

[Windows 10] Switch from digital license to product key: I had activated windows 10 with digital license, but now I have purchased a product key and I want to activate it with product key. Is this possible?...