Windows 10: Activation woes - Windows needs activation to personalize

Discus and support Activation woes - Windows needs activation to personalize in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there anybody else got this -- trying to personalize PC -got you need to activate windows before you can personalize PC. Now what do I do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jimbo45, Oct 3, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Activation woes - Windows needs activation to personalize

Hi there

anybody else got this -- trying to personalize PC -got you need to activate windows before you can personalize PC.

Now what do I do !!!!!?!

Is this normal (I did an UPDATE rather than a new install BTW).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 3, 2014

2. Windows activation woes

Use your Windows 7 product key to reactivate:

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click Next to Activate

If you are unable to activate Windows 10 after all the above and you are certain you have the correct edition installed, then please attempt phone activation:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Windows 7 came preinstalled on my computer, how do I find the product key?

The product key is usually located on the COA sticker attached to the bottom of your laptop or in the battery compartment. In some rare cases it can also be found in the memory compartment. For tower systems, look at the top or the side of the system unit. It
    looks like the following:

Activation woes - Windows needs activation to personalize [​IMG]

If the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker is damaged or letters or not legible, you will have to consider the following options:

• Use a digital camera to capture a picture of the COA then enlarge it on your computer.

I bought a retail box copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows 8.1; where do I find the product key?

For Windows 7, the product key can be located on a pamphlet in inside the Windows 7 box.

Activation woes - Windows needs activation to personalize [​IMG]

Andre Da Costa, Oct 3, 2014
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    Windows activation woes

Hi,

For better assistance with your Windows activation issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Were you getting an error when you try to activate your Windows?
    • "even though it is a brand new SSD - which is another of my query - might be a motherboard issue surfacing" - Have you replaced the motherboard of your computer?

In the meantime, you may check the following articles to troubleshoot the issue:

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Oct 3, 2014
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 3, 2014
  5. Superfly Win User
    For those of us not doing a fresh (from setup in root folder) Enterprise install - it will install a default volume licence key rather than the key in pid.txt

Product Name: Windows Technical Preview for Enterprise
    Product ID: 00137-50010-01506-AA991
    Installed Key: PBHCJ-Q2NYD-2PX34-T2TD6-233PK
    Key Status : Valid
    PID : 00137-50010-01506-AA806
    Extended PID : 00000-01375-001-001506-00-7177-9600.0000-2782014
    Activation ID : 72e02447-a7bc-462c-9c3d-e5c919a5140a
    Product Description : Win 8 RC Enterprise Retail
    Edition ID : Enterprise
    Part Number : [TH]X18-05586
    Key Type : Retail
    Eula Type : Retail
    Group ID : 1375

Strange to see a retail Enterprise key...

Superfly, Oct 4, 2014
  6. psudo Win User
    Yep, since April this year you can buy Windows Enterprise without SA.

psudo, Oct 4, 2014
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Brinks suggestion - SLUI 3 worked - it accepted the product ID from my TechNet download -- my subscription expires on the 10 Oct (sob sob !!!!).

As far as Enterprise Retail version exists - good idea if you want to use WINDOWS TO GO - hopefully that won't be restricted to the Non Retail or VL versions only.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 4, 2014
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Just an addendum

I got rid of the whole kybosh by restoring an image I had with just a LOCAL account - The whole Ms Account thing totally hosed me up royally - I needed a NEW user name for Local account so I had mega problems connecting to shares and other services on a LAN since the logins often required a USER ACCOUNT on the machine you were logged on to as well as an account on the Remote shares etc. I wasn't going to re-configure configurations on the LAN.

The whole Ms account login is total B/S IMO . I'm sticking with LOCAL accounts as before.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 4, 2014
  9. Superfly Win User
    Thanx for the feedback, Jimbo - I stick to local accounts and have not had any problems with Samba etc.

I doubt M$ account networking was a high priority during testing as this version of Windows is directed at enterprises, but hopefully it's something that they will look into nevertheless.

Superfly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Activation woes - Windows needs activation to personalize - Similar Threads - Activation woes needs

2. Problem activating windows, need a MS persons assistance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem activating windows, need a MS persons assistance: I have a copy of W10 Pro i bought this spring. It installed fine, on the other halfs new comp.The comp started having issues, had to do a reinstall of windows, before I could reactivate it died again, and further testing revealed a hardware issue.New hardware, clean install...
  3. Problem activating windows, need a MS persons assistance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem activating windows, need a MS persons assistance: I have a copy of W10 Pro i bought this spring. It installed fine, on the other halfs new comp.The comp started having issues, had to do a reinstall of windows, before I could reactivate it died again, and further testing revealed a hardware issue.New hardware, clean install...
  4. Windows 10 Re-Activation Woes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Re-Activation Woes: I've recently received a used Windows 10 laptop. It was already registered by the previous owner, but in order to use the laptop, I needed to reset it first because of a forgotten password. It said it needed to be activated, with the watermark in the bottom of the screen. In...
  5. Windows 10 Re-Activation Woes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Re-Activation Woes: I've recently received a used Windows 10 laptop. It was already registered by the previous owner, but in order to use the laptop, I needed to reset it first because of a forgotten password. It said it needed to be activated, with the watermark in the bottom of the screen. In...
  6. Windows 10 Re-Activation Woes

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. Windows 10 Activation Woes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Activation Woes: I think I might be going crazy Back in January I purchased a Windows 10 Home License from Microsoft (the full $139 version.) I installed Windows 10 in a virtual machine activated it without issues and went about my business. The VM is used for development and testing, and...
  8. Activating Windows 10 Enterprise - Purchased on Personal Account, but need to activate on...

Activating Windows 10 Enterprise - Purchased on Personal Account, but need to activate on...: I have two accounts liked to my email. I need to activate windows on the account I did not purchase the windows 10 enterprise on. At least that is what I think the problem is. Is there a way to link the two accounts? I have purchased Windows 10 Enterprise and can prove I...
  9. Windows 10 Activation woes

Windows 10 Activation woes: Short story: replaced motherboard, can no longer activate. Long story: I originally had win7 and used the free upgrade to windows 10 back in the day. I signed in to windows with my MS account and i showed active with an online license (forget the exact verbiage; the one...
  10. Dual Installation Activation Woes

Dual Installation Activation Woes: Did a dual installation of Windows 10 per the great instructions posted by member BRINK.(Thank You) I started with 32bit PC running Windows 8.1 Pro which was a paid for upgrade from Windows 7 Home. All went well till activation. The windows 10 installation says it has...