Windows 10: Active Hours/Update?

Discus and support Active Hours/Update? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I don't know if the anniversary update fixed it more, but I've heard people have had Windows 10, restart automatically and reboot after installing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Gelbs, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Gelbs Win User

Active Hours/Update?

I don't know if the anniversary update fixed it more, but I've heard people have had Windows 10, restart automatically and reboot after installing certain updates, like when they're in the middle of doing things. I can't say it's actually happened to me. Not that I'm aware of, anyway.
    Either way, I think it's pretty stupid how you can only have a 12 hour window for your computer being active. It also says, that it let's you know when your computer needs restarting anyway. So, if that's the case, what's the point in having active hours set, so your computer doesn't restart when you don't want to?
    The only thing I'm concerned about, is if I'm in the middle of gaming or something, and it happens and my pc restarts. Or is that now not possible, as it only happens if your computer is idle? I thought I heard somewhere it happened to someone whilst gaming. ****ing stupid idea if you ask me. Especially, when I can't choose to turn off automatic updates because I'm only using the 'Home' edition.
    Not even sure how it works. Like if I have my 'active hours' set from 8am to 8pm, what happens after 8pm? Surely gaming too, your computer knows you aren't exactly 'idle'! *sarc

:)

Gelbs, Aug 16, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

I need more than 12 hours for "active hours"

When Windows 10 needs to re-start outside active hours you will be prompted. When prompted you can choose to delay the restart or to restart at a better time for you.

BulldogXX, Aug 16, 2016
  3. I need more than 12 hours for "active hours"

It's pretty obvious Microsoft, you need to sort this out.

I use my computer from 8am, then I go to work. Then I come home and I use it usually until 10pm, but sometimes up until midnight. Sometimes later still, like tonight when I'm wasting my time trying to find a solution to this issue.

Naturally on Saturdays and Sundays I need my computer during the day.

I think that must be the most common use case out there, so.....

Stop mucking about and FIX IT. Why so many obvious issues that you don't fix, eh? It's not like you're under resourced is it? Get to it, chop chop.

Alan come on Microsoft sort it OUT, Aug 16, 2016
  4. Active Hours/Update?

I am on home and have mine set similar to you, 9am to 9pm here

From my experience it has never restarted while in the middle of something, if it wants a restart it always schedules it for around 3am or updates itself when i do a shutdown/startup

paulsalter, Aug 16, 2016
  5. Gelbs Win User
    Yeah, same here! Never happened to me, but just got me thinking. Mine always says it needs to restart. Just wondered if it only does it (if it does) when the computer is idle. And how long it has to be idle for.

Gelbs, Aug 16, 2016
  6. Gelbs Win User
    For some reason, too. My 'Custom Restart' setting is greyed out too, and no way to select it.

Gelbs, Aug 16, 2016
  7. One way i get around the potential restart after updates, is to have a recurring calendar appointment for the 2nd tuesday of the month at 6pm, this is the usual day that the big updates come out
    So if i do forget about it, i get a reminder that there should be updates ready
    I then manually check and do a restart when it needs one

Idle time i think can vary my machine, depending how its set up
    eg i have my screen saver for 5 mins and screen to go off after 10 mins of non use, after these i can see its gone idle as the background tasks start up, can see disc activity

paulsalter, Aug 16, 2016
  8. Gelbs Win User

Active Hours/Update?

When and how, does your computer usually decide to restart by itself after an update, though? Does it only do it if you aren't active? Like say, if you went downstairs for ten or fifteen minutes? I don't see how it would do it, even if your active hours were low, if you were in the middle of a game for example, lol. You'd think the system would know you're doing something! I've never had it happen, as I said. But just getting paranoid haha. It isn't very informative!

Gelbs, Aug 16, 2016
  9. Mine does it 2 ways

1, If I leave my PC constantly turned on, it will schedule the restart for 3am, this is the time that Windows says i am not using my machine

2, If i turn my machine off after an update, it partially installs during the shutdown, then finishes installing when i next turn it on

The only reason i can see it force restart is if you constantly leave the machine on, but keep delaying when it will restart by adjusting the time it wants to do it, eventually it will just say i need to restart and do it, but with the new active hours, this shouldnt happen during them

paulsalter, Aug 16, 2016
  10. Gelbs Win User
    Where do you have the 3am schedule though? My restart options are greyed out. Have no idea how to 'un-grey' it...

Gelbs, Aug 16, 2016
  11. You cant un grey it unless there is an update requiring a restart

When there is an update requiring a restart, it will try and pick the best time (for me this defaults to 3am), but you can overide this in the restart options

paulsalter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Active Hours/Update?

1. Active Hours/Update? - Similar Threads - Active Hours Update

2. Active hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Active hours: Good morning, I have active hours set to 7:00 AM to 1:00 AM. When I check for updates in that period and a restart is required, I get a message that the PC will restart OUTSIDE of active hours. Am I missing something profound?...
  3. Active Hours

in Windows 10 Customization
    Active Hours: Hi A while back, my fingerprint detector stopped working so I updated the driver. However, today, at 5pm, my fingerprint detector stopped. I went to update the driver, but it did not need to be updated, and I found that there has been an "Active Hours" system running, which...
  4. Active Hours for Updates

Active Hours for Updates: I have a very specific set of requirements for the Active Hours designated for restarts after Updates to Win10. Without going into the reasons for why I wish to have extended and very specific hours for the management of restarts following an automatic update, I wonder if...
  5. Active Hours

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Active Hours: My understanding of setting active hours is so that Window's doesn't download updates during that time so that I can work. I set my active hours to 6am-6pm, but right now my laptop is barely responsive because all the resources are going to downloading updates? It's 8:30am....
  6. Updates active during non active hours

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updates active during non active hours: Have updates to go off from 12-7am cause my internet is alright during these times. Whenever I hop on my pc during a time that isn't during that specification, it does it anyway. This has started within the last month and I've tried re-editing the time schedule but it seems...
  7. Active Hours

in Windows 10 Support
    Active Hours: This is part 3 of my "Windows 10 Readiness Questions" thing. Windows doesn't restart outside of Active Hours when you're using the computer, but what if I'm away from it for even an hour? 139662
  8. Update during active hours

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update during active hours: If I choose to update during active hours do I need to adjust the active times before I start? Len 138957
  9. Active hours

Active hours: Are there any plans to give users the option to disable active hours entirely on Win10 Home? this is probably the most hated and unneeded "feature" ever to come out from you guys, and with good reason. If i step away from my computer, and said computer is on, its a given...
  10. Active Hours

Active Hours: I want to turn off Active Hours in Windows Update, I don't want to change Active Hours because it's not updating on its own regardless of the hours I put in. Again: I wish to disable/turn off "Change Active Hours"...