Windows 10: Ad hoc network..."Private" network doesn't stick

Discus and support Ad hoc network..."Private" network doesn't stick in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a unique situation and I haven't been able to find the answer. I have set up an ad hoc network on the "host" computer (i.e. the netsh... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by joelshort, Aug 10, 2015.

1. joelshort Win User

Ad hoc network..."Private" network doesn't stick

I have a unique situation and I haven't been able to find the answer. I have set up an ad hoc network on the "host" computer (i.e. the netsh "hostednetwork" computer) so that I can remote into the host computer using another computer ("client" PC).

What this does is create a local area network. In the Network and Sharing Center this network is listed as an unidentified network, PUBLIC network. When the network is set to public I cannot remotely connect to the host pc from the client pc. The client PC sees the hostednetwork and I can connect to the network, but when trying to remote into the host computer from the client computer the connection between the computers doesn't work. Both computers are connected to a Homegroup.

Using the Homegroup troubleshooter, the troubleshooter identifies a problem and automatically sets the network to Private. When set to private, I can successfully remote into the host PC from the client PC. This is repeatable, whenever the hostednetwork is set to private I can remote in.

The problem is that whenever I restart the computer the hostednetwork reverts to PUBLIC. I cannot figure out a way to have the ad hoc network stay as a PRIVATE network.

Any help? I should also mention that this was not an issue in Win8.1.

:)

joelshort, Aug 10, 2015
  2. CJLim Win User

connection to ad hoc networks

I think you are mixing up an Ad hoc network with a router with Hidden SSID.

CJLim, Aug 10, 2015
  3. DLS
    DLS Win User
    WP8 lumia ad-hoc support

OP's problem (and mine too) was about connecting to ad-hoc networks created by symbian phones, not PCs running Windows. By the way, windows 7 and windows 8 support creating infrastructure wifi networks and sharing any kind of internet connection over that
    wifi hotspot without the need of any 3rd party software or driver.

Just a nice powershell script would do.

GDR3 also doesn't support ad-hoc networks.

4. joelshort Win User

I could not get this resolved by troubleshooting, so I did a clean install and now all is well. Both my ad hoc and normal network connections are set to private and it stays private after a reboot. However, with the clean install I opted not to use my microsoft login credentials and just kept it as a local account, and also I purposefully did not join the homegroup. I suspect that joining the homegroup may have been the issue. Strangely, I can still use file sharing etc even without being joined to the homegroup, but I don't really understand all that homegroup stuff.

joelshort, Aug 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Ad hoc network..."Private" network doesn't stick - Similar Threads - hoc network Private

2. Ad-Hoc Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ad-Hoc Network: Hi,So I created a what I believe to be an ad-hoc network on mac os, however its not showing up on windows network display. Im using it to share files and if possible play games on lan without an internet connection. How do I connect to said adhoc network hosted on my mac...
  3. Ad-Hoc Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ad-Hoc Network: Hi,So I created a what I believe to be an ad-hoc network on mac os, however its not showing up on windows network display. Im using it to share files and if possible play games on lan without an internet connection. How do I connect to said adhoc network hosted on my mac...
  4. Ad-Hoc Network

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows10 - Can't connect to ad-hoc network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows10 - Can't connect to ad-hoc network: Hi, I created a network using an ad-hoc communication on a computer with Windows 7 in order to do some wireless printing (the buildings networks firewall would not allow the normal wifi connection to work). The printer can log into that network and the computer from which...
  6. Ad-Hoc Wireless Network

Ad-Hoc Wireless Network: Aye! I have several computers with different systems, Windows 10, Linux, Android,... some have internet-access and may act as a gateway, some might act as an access point, some dont even have a keyboard/mouse - but all have a wireless network-interface-card. I dont use...
  7. creating an ad hoc Network?

creating an ad hoc Network?: In Windows 10; how do i set up an ad hoc Network on my PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-an-ad-hoc-network/9a3c93a5-dc3b-4881-b99a-d112bb92d9d7
  8. Private Network

Private Network: Can I still browse the internet if I set my network status to Private? It is currently on Public. I have a second PC that I want to be able to share files and devices. I am assuming is that sharing on public network is more problematic from a security point of view...
  9. how to set up a ad-hoc network

how to set up a ad-hoc network: since there is no more homegroups how to set up a ad-hoc network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-to-set-up-a-ad-hoc-network/b759cfd1-5e6d-4426-997f-3978239590a2
  10. No Choice for Ad Hoc Network

No Choice for Ad Hoc Network: As part of a practice I'm doing, I was going to set up an Ad Hoc wireless network on my Windows 10 Enterprise computer. But under Network and Sharing, like this: [img] why no ad hoc choice? 113515