Windows 10: Add Allow App through Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10

Discus and support Add Allow App through Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add Allow App through Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10 How to Add "Allow App through Controlled Folder Access" context menu in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by PepsiOrCoke, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Add Allow App through Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10

How to: Add Allow App through Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10

How to Add "Allow App through Controlled Folder Access" context menu in Windows 10

Starting with Controlled folder access is introduced in Windows Defender Antivirus.

When Controlled folder access is turned on, it helps you protect valuable data from malicious apps and threats, such as ransomware. It is part of Windows Defender Exploit Guard.

You can specify if certain apps should always be considered safe and given write access to files in Allowing apps can be useful if you're finding a particular app that you know and trust is being blocked by the Controlled folder access feature.

By default, Windows adds apps that it considers friendly to the allowed list - apps added automatically by Windows are not recorded in the list shown in the Windows Defender Security Center app. You shouldn't need to add most apps. Only add apps if they are being blocked and you can verify their trustworthiness.

When you add an app, you have to specify the app's location. Only the app in that location will be permitted access to the protected folders - if the app (with the same name) is located in a different location, then it will not be added to the allow list and may be blocked by Controlled folder access.

For more details about Controlled folder access, see:
    This tutorial will show you how to add and remove an Allow app through Controlled folder access context menu for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to add, remove, or use the "Allow app through Controlled folder access" context menu.

*note The "Allow app through Controlled folder access" context menu will be available when you right click or shift + right click on a .exe or .com file. When you use this context menu, it will add the app (.exe or .com file) to the list of Controlled folder access allowed apps. This will make it easy for you to add an allowed app you want on demand without having to do so through Windows Security.

*note You will need to restart the computer after adding anything to Controlled Folder Access to apply.

EXAMPLE: "Allow app through Controlled folder access" context menu

Add Allow App through Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10 [​IMG]

Add Allow App through Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (add-right click), step 3 (add-Shift+right click) , or step 4 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add Right Click "Allow app through Controlled folder access" Context Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Add_Allow_app_through_Controlled_folder_access_context_menu.reg

Download

3. To Add Shift + Right Click "Allow app through Controlled folder access" Context Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Add_Shift+Allow_app_through_Controlled_folder_access_context_menu.reg

Download

4. To Remove "Allow app through Controlled folder access" Context Menu
    *note This is the default setting.

Remove_Allow_app_through_Controlled_folder_access_context_menu.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

PepsiOrCoke, Aug 15, 2016
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Add Allow App through Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10

Add an Allowed App through Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center

Hello @Frosti7, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The registry key you posted above is a protected key, and you would have to take ownership and change permissions to allow full control of it before you will be able to add apps via a .batch file.

If you like, you might see if adding the context menu below may help to make it easier to add allowed apps as needed via Windows Security.

*Arrow Add Allow App through Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  5. How to remove drive from list of allowed apps in "controlled folder access"

I recently enabled controlled folder access in the Windows Security app. I was running an executable from a USB (assigned drive letter 'I:') that required access to one of my protected folders, so I allowed it via

Windows Security>Virus & threat protection>Manage ransomware protection>Allow an app through controlled folder access>Add an allowed app

After removing the USB drive the program I allowed is no longer in the list of allowed apps under "allow an app through controlled folder access". However, now "Drive (IAdd Allow App through Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10 :)" is listed as an allowed app.

It appears that I cannot remove the drive from the list of allowed apps. How can I remove it?

Christopher54, Oct 27, 2019
  6. AndreTen Win User
    Add Protected Folders to Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10  

@maranna No need for copy /paste. You'll get a list of last blocked apps, and click on one to allow it trough.

*Arrow Add or Remove Allowed Apps for Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

AndreTen, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Add Allow App through Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10

1. Add Allow App through Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Allow App

2. Writing powershell script to allow apps through Controlled Folder Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Writing powershell script to allow apps through Controlled Folder Access: Hi,I have been trying to write a script to allow programs such as Paint, Screen Snippet, etc. to save to protected folders. However, I found it strange that while %UserProfile%\Documents is protected by default %UserProfile%\Desktop is not. Does not user store many of his...
  3. Writing powershell script to allow apps through Controlled Folder Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Writing powershell script to allow apps through Controlled Folder Access: Hi,I have been trying to write a script to allow programs such as Paint, Screen Snippet, etc. to save to protected folders. However, I found it strange that while %UserProfile%\Documents is protected by default %UserProfile%\Desktop is not. Does not user store many of his...
  4. Allowing Apps. through Controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Allowing Apps. through Controlled folder access: I have a list of 14 ".exe" files under the subject heading; there seems to be no way of deleting them or allowing them; the "+ Add an allowed app button" just results in opening up what appear to be I have a list of 16 ".exe" files under Allowing Apps. through Controlled...
  5. Add Controlled Folder Access commands to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Add Controlled Folder Access commands to Context Menu in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When Controlled Folder Access is turned on, it helps you protect valuable data from malicious apps and threats, such as ransomware. It is part of the Windows Defender Exploit Guard. This post shows how to add Turn On or Off [...] This post Add Controlled...
  6. Allow an app through Controled folder access

Allow an app through Controled folder access: Hello I am not sure what this image attached to this question is asking I.e I have no idea what app is being referr[ATTACH]ed to! I am not even sure what the 'Control folder' refers to! I was going to look it up like usual before posting but I have many things open...
  7. Allow an app through Controlled folder access help please

Allow an app through Controlled folder access help please: Hello, Just deleted a couple of embroidery programs and yet they are showing up in controlled folder access, how to rid of these?...
  8. Add Turn On or Off Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Turn On or Off Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10: How to: Add Turn On or Off Controlled Folder Access context menu Windows 10 How to Add "Turn On or Off Controlled Folder Access" context menu Windows 10 Starting with Controlled folder access is introduced in Windows Defender Antivirus. Controlled folder access helps...
  9. Add or Remove Allowed Apps for Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Allowed Apps for Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Allowed Apps for Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Allowed Apps through Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 Starting with Controlled folder access is introduced in Windows Defender Antivirus. When Controlled folder...
  10. Add Control Panel to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Control Panel to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Control Panel to Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Control Panel context menu in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, there are a few different ways to find and change your settings: app settings, and search. Most of the settings that...