Windows 10: Add and Remove Search Engine Icons on New Tab Top Sites in Firefox

Discus and support Add and Remove Search Engine Icons on New Tab Top Sites in Firefox in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add and Remove Search Engine Icons on New Tab Top Sites in Firefox How to Add and Remove Search Engine Shortcut Icons in Top Sites on Firefox... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by GracieAllen, May 19, 2016.

1. Add and Remove Search Engine Icons on New Tab Top Sites in Firefox

How to: Add and Remove Search Engine Icons on New Tab Top Sites in Firefox

How to Add and Remove Search Engine Shortcut Icons in Top Sites on Firefox New Tab page

Starting with Firefox 63.0, search shortcuts for Top Sites were added. Amazon and Google appear as Top Sites tiles on the Firefox Home (New Tab) page. When selected these tiles will change focus to the address bar to initiate a search.

Firefox lets you pin search for Google, Bing, Amazon, DuckDuckGo, eBay, Twitter and Wikipedia in your top sites.

*note Currently in US only.

See also: Save a step when you're searching with Firefox | The Firefox Frontier

This tutorial will show you how to add and remove search engine shortcut icons in Top Sites on the New Tab page in Firefox for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Unpin Search Engine Shortcut Icons in Top Sites
    • Option Two: Add and Remove Search Engine Shortcut Icons in Top Sites
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Search Engine Shortcut Icons in Top Sites

EXAMPLE: Search engine icons in Top Sites on New Tab page in Firefox

Add and Remove Search Engine Icons on New Tab Top Sites in Firefox [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Unpin Search Engine Shortcut Icons in Top Sites
    1. Open Firefox, and open a new tab (Ctrl+T).

2. Hover the pointer over the search icon (ex: Amazon) you want to remove until you see the dots icon. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the dots icon, and click/tap on Unpin.

OPTION TWO [/i] Add and Remove Search Engine Shortcut Icons in Top Sites
    1. Open Firefox, and open a new tab (Ctrl+T).

2. Click/tap on the three dots icon on the top right side of Top Sites, and click/tap on Add Search Engine. (see screenshot below)

3. Check (add) and uncheck (remove) the search engines you want for your Top Sites, and click/tap on Save when finished. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Search Engine Shortcut Icons in Top Sites
    1. Open Firefox.

2. Type about:config into the address bar, press Enter, and click/tap on the I accept the risk button. (see screenshot below)

3. Copy and paste browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.topSiteSearchShortcuts into the search box, and press Enter. (see screenshots below step 4)

4. Double click/tap on the browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.topSiteSearchShortcuts setting to change its value to true (enable - default) or false (disable) for what you want. (see screenshots below)

5. You can now close this about:config tab if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

GracieAllen, May 19, 2016

2. Removing Bing as default search engine.

We appreciate the prompt response. In this case, let us check your browser settings and ensure that
    Bing is removed as the default search engine. To do this, follow these steps:

• Open your Firefox browser.
    • Click the Menu icon or the 3 bars icon.
    • Select Options.
    • Select Search.
    • Under Default Search Engine, select your preferred search engine from the drop down list.
    • Once you're done, close the search tab and check if the issue persists.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Oct 27, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    Techpowerup bookmark icon in firefox?

changed the favicon for the forum
    uploaded a new smaller (bytes) icon for the main site
    added html code to suggest the icon to browsers

but i still cant get it to show up in firefox favourites

W1zzard, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Add and Remove Search Engine Icons on New Tab Top Sites in Firefox

New tab and top sites

Hi TRDCHSR1

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Open Edge > top right, click the 3 dots icon > select Settings > under Open With, select New tab page > under Open new tab with, click the pointer and select Top sites or Top sites and suggested content.

That's it.

See if that works now.

If that does not work...

Give this a try first...

Open Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & features

Scroll down to Microsoft Edge

Select it

Click Advanced options

Click Repair

Restart

If repair does not work, try performing a Reset.

Andre for Directly, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Add More Top Sites To New Tab Page in Firefox 60-+

One can add as many rows of Sites in The New Tab Start Page by entering the Following in About:Config

Code:
    Default is two

Do not concern yourself with the void warranty warning

I entered 3 so I have 3 rows of Sites

Source and Thanks to:

Change Number of Rows for Top Sites on New Tabs Page in Firefox | Windows 10 Tutorials

This will work in all the latest Quantum Firefox Releases.

Josey Wales, Oct 27, 2019
  6. changing default search engine to google from Bing in IE Edge

To change the default search engine on Windows Edge.

Step One: Open Microsoft Edge

Step Two: type in the search engine into the browser address such as (www.google.com)

Step Three: Click on the three dots top right below the x (close button)

Step Four: Click on settings

Step Five: Scroll and click on Advance Settings

Step Six: Scroll to Search in the address bar with click within the box

Step Seven: Click on Add NEw

Step Eight: Your search engine should be listed Click on it

Final Step: select your choice of:

Add as default

Add

Rico Novice, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Add and Remove Search Engine Icons on New Tab Top Sites in Firefox

1. Add and Remove Search Engine Icons on New Tab Top Sites in Firefox - Similar Threads - Add Remove Search

2. You can change new tab search engine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    You can change new tab search engine: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/m_beps [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g3namd/you_can_change_new_tab_search_engine/
  3. New tab and top sites

in Windows 10 Customization
    New tab and top sites: My computer updated today and now the top sites do not show up when I open a new tab https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-tab-and-top-sites/b69d074d-be84-4cf4-a049-babc3a268532
  4. Bug with Top Sites icons on Edge's New Tabs page

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bug with Top Sites icons on Edge's New Tabs page: Hello, I have set Edge to open a new Tabs page showing my popular websites as icons that I can click on. Usually the icons should look like this: [ATTACH] However, for some reason lately, Edge is showing the icons as follows: [ATTACH] Also, notice that YouTube doesn't...
  5. Microsoft Edge New Tab Top Sites Display Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge New Tab Top Sites Display Error: [ATTACH] As you can see my tabs are appearing incorrectly. They are showing up with white backgrounds when they should resemble the .ico color. This has been bothering me for a while and I have tried clearing all my settings. Although it worked in the past, this time it is...
  6. Add More Top Sites To New Tab Page in Firefox 60-+

in Browsers and Email
    Add More Top Sites To New Tab Page in Firefox 60-+: One can add as many rows of Sites in The New Tab Start Page by entering the Following in About:Config Code: browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.topSitesRows[/quote] Default is two [img] Do not concern yourself with the void warranty warning I entered 3 so I have 3 rows...
  7. Edge's Top Sites broken with default search engine other than Bing

in Browsers and Email
    Edge's Top Sites broken with default search engine other than Bing: I'm having some issues with Microsoft Edge. Yesterday it was fine, but today the page with top sites is broken. Tried reinstalling Microsoft Edge, but that didn't help. I somehow found out what's causing it and it's setting default search engine other than Bing (tried Google...
  8. Change Number of Rows for Top Sites on New Tabs Page in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Number of Rows for Top Sites on New Tabs Page in Firefox: How to: Change Number of Rows for Top Sites on New Tabs Page in Firefox How to Change Number of Rows for Top Sites on New Tabs Page in Firefox Starting with Firefox Quantum (version 57), there is a new user interface (UI) called Photon. By default, Firefox displays...
  9. Change Default Search Engine in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Search Engine in Firefox: How to: Change Default Search Engine in Firefox How to Change Default Search Engine in Firefox [img] Information Starting with Firefox Quantum (version 57), Google is used as the default search engine in the address bar and search bar. Firefox comes with the...
  10. Add or Remove Search Bar in Firefox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Search Bar in Firefox: How to: Add or Remove Search Bar in Firefox [img] Information Starting with Firefox Quantum (version 57), you might see your search bar and your address bar combined into a single bar. New installs of Firefox Quantum will see this unified bar. If you prefer separate...