Windows 10: Add Guest Account in Windows 10

Discus and support Add Guest Account in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add Guest Account in Windows 10 How to Add a Guest Account in Windows 10 A guest account is a local account for users who don't have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by MtheK, Apr 26, 2016.

1. MtheK Win User

Add Guest Account in Windows 10

How to: Add Guest Account in Windows 10

How to Add a Guest Account in Windows 10

A guest account is a local account for users who don't have a permanent account on your PC or domain. It allows people (guest/visitor) to use your PC without having access to your personal files. Users signed in to the guest account can't install apps, open Windows Store apps, install hardware, and change Settings.

You can no longer enable the built-in Guest account in Windows 10, but you can workaround this by manually adding a guest account.

This tutorial will show you how to add a guest account on your Windows 10 PC.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add a guest account.

*note Guest access in SMB2 disabled by default in Windows | Windows Support

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: How to Add a Guest Account in Command Prompt
    • Option Two: How to Add a Guest Account in Local Users and Groups

Video by: simrick

OPTION ONE [/i] How to Add a Guest Account in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter to add a new local account. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow net user Name /add

Add Guest Account in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note Substitute Name in the command above with the actual name (ex: Visitor) you want for this guest account. You will not be able to use the name Guest.

For example: net user Visitor /add

3. Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter to remove this new local account (ex: Visitor) from the Users group. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow net localgroup Users Name /delete

Note Substitute Name in the command above with the actual name (ex: Visitor) of this guest account.

For example: net localgroup Users Visitor /delete

4. Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter to add this new local account (ex: Visitor) to the Guests group. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow net localgroup Guests Name /add

Note Substitute Name in the command above with the actual name (ex: Visitor) of this guest account.

For example: net localgroup Guests Visitor /add

5. If you like, you can add a password to this guest account.

6. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

7. The "C:\Users\(user-name)" profile folder for this guest account will be created the first time the account is signed in to.

OPTION TWO [/i] How to Add a Guest Account in Local Users and Groups

Note Local Users and Groups is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type lusrmgr.msc, and click/tap on OK to open Local Users and Groups.

2. Click/tap on the Users folder in the left pane to open it, and click/tap on More Actions and New User in the right "Actions" pane. (see screenshot below)

3. Type in a user name (ex: Visitor) you want for the new guest account, fill out any other details (ex: password and description) if you like, click/tap on Create, and click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)

4. Double click/tap on the new user account (ex: Visitor) in the middle pane of Local Users and Groups. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Member Of tab, select Users, and click/tap on Remove to remove this account from being a member of the "Users" group. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on Add. (see screenshot below)

7. Type Guests in the "Enter the object names to select" box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

8. Click/tap on OK to add this account as a member of the "Guests" group. (see screenshot below)

9. When finished, you can close Local Users and Groups if you like.

10. The "C:\Users\(user-name)" profile folder for this guest account will be created the first time the account is signed in to.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

MtheK, Apr 26, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Apr 26, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Apr 26, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome MtheK, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Apr 26, 2016
  5. Pyprohly Win User
    Brink, what is meant by “a guest account cannot be a member of a homegroup”? I thought workstations were members of HomeGroups, not users.

Also, in the info box it says "you can no longer enable the built-in Guest account in Windows 10". Would you happen to know if this was always the case with Windows 10 or did it come with an update?

Pyprohly, Apr 13, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Pyprohly, *Smile

When a PC joins a homegroup, all user accounts (except guest account (members of "Guests" group)) on the PC become members of the homegroup. Each user on the PC will always be able to choose what libraries and devices to share with the homegroup.

When you leave a homegroup, all user accounts on your computer also leave the homegroup.

I can't remember exactly when, but it was pretty much from the start of Windows 10 that we couldn't enable the built-in "Guest" account. Instead, we have to use the method in this tutorial as a workaround to have a guest account.

Brink, Apr 13, 2017
  7. Pyprohly Win User
    Ah, I see. HomeGroup features aren’t shown in a guest account.

Thanks.

Pyprohly, Apr 14, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I suppose it makes sense though.

Brink, Apr 14, 2017
  9. Pyprohly Win User
    Though, I would have gone for something like “Guests cannot participate in HomeGroups” to express that.

Pyprohly, Apr 14, 2017
  10. .
    Hi Shawn,

I used your Option 1 to create a "Kids" account.

For the Password, I simply hit Return and Return (so no password).

The account has been added to the list of available accounts on the login screen. When I test the login by double-clicking on the account name, "Kids" appears in the centre of the screen, with "Sign in" underneath.

When I click "Sign in", I see "Welcome", immediately followed by "Signing out". Then the "Kids" login screen is again presented.

Please advise.

Thanks.

OldGrantonian, Oct 3, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @OldGrantonian, *Smile

Type the command below into a command prompt, press Enter, and post back with a copy of the output. It'll report the details of the "Kids" account to see if anything stands out.

net user Kids

Brink, Oct 3, 2017
  12. The command output is attached.

Thanks.

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 3, 2017
  14. I deleted the account using your recommendation.

I created a new account using the same details as before, but using Option 2 this time. I used the following options:

No "Password, and no "Confirm password"
    Uncheck, "Users must change password at next login"
    Check "User cannot change this password" (for safety)

I got exactly the same result: I see a quick glance of "Welcome", followed immediately by "Signing out".

My current Asus is a "gaming" machine with SSD. I tried the same method on my 10-month-old Dell Vostro. That's a "business" spec with HDD only, so everything is cheaper and slower. (Both machines are Win 10 Pro.) I created and tested the "Kids" accounts without problems.

I've been aware that some unimportant things don't work on the Asus. For example, some poorly-designed websites will not render properly on the Asus, but is OK on the Vostro. Unfortunately I can't find the link.

I'm wondering if I should force the kids to use a simple password - just to slow things down a bit. But I'll wait for your comments first.

15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Odd.

As a test, are you able to create a normal local account, and sign in to it?

If so, you can pick up at step 4 in Option 2 while signed in to your administrator account to convert it from a local user account to a guest account.

Brink, Oct 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Add Guest Account in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Guest Account

2. How to add microsoft account without deleted guest account?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to add microsoft account without deleted guest account?: I have a new laptop and want to add my microsoft account, but my guest account is finished set up and personalized. How to add microsoft account without delete guest account?...
  3. Guest Account Windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Guest Account Windows 10: how do I add a guest account on Windows 10 for guests to use my computer without accessing my files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/guest-account-windows-10/b96ca412-5111-49e1-9818-cbe2a6ca544d
  4. Guest account in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Guest account in Windows 10: How can I activate the Guest account in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/guest-account-in-windows-10/62b6d407-430d-4640-868f-26688e2aad99"
  5. Guest account

Guest account: How do I add a guest account? The activate user command syntax given in a 2015 response is not correct. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/guest-account/53ac58a3-2342-4cd5-a6ea-391734922c21
  6. Guest account

Guest account: How so I add a Guest account to my PC? When I go through Settings/Accounts/Other People, I get the message that I can't use a "snapin" with this edition of Windows 10, and that I must use the User Accounts too in the Control Panel. When I try that, it simply opens the...
  7. Unable to add a guest account to computer

Unable to add a guest account to computer: how do I allow another person to access my computer in a guest account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-add-a-guest-account-to-computer/31c64e5e-073f-48d2-b443-2b392e70594a"
  8. can I add a guest account

can I add a guest account: I would like to add a guest account like I could do with windows 7 rather that an account for each person that wants to use my computer is this possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-add-a-guest-account/95dec857-fbf7-4ce9-9bad-c2cdef43591f
  9. Guest account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Guest account: I asked this before but was unable to view any replies. My friend has a small business. He allows patrons to use his computer. Someone goes into settings and turns off the security and updates. How do I make an admin account for him with a password, and then make an open...
  10. Add Guest Account

Add Guest Account: How to add guest account that don't need password at startup, can somebody tell me?? 28594