Windows 10: Add new user (local account) - Use my profile?

Discus and support Add new user (local account) - Use my profile? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Greetings all, I'm on Spotify, most of you probably know about it - It's like Pandora, iHeart Radio, and many more services that play thousands of... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by hooked, Dec 6, 2016.

1. hooked Win User

Add new user (local account) - Use my profile?

Greetings all,

I'm on Spotify, most of you probably know about it - It's like Pandora, iHeart Radio, and many more services that play thousands of songs on your mobile device. But there is an option to install it on your PC as well.

I went to do the PC install, and was given a message : "Spotify must be installed by a non-administrator account". OK. SoI played along and created a new user thru the Control Panel, Admin Tools, Computer Management. Msft automaticaly put it in the Users group, so I thought that s/b fine. But no. I logged in as the new user, and when I tried to install Spotify with the .exe file that my login (Admin) had downloaded, Msft gave some permission gripes. Anyway, it did finally install under NewUser and brought up Spotify.

I knew I hadn't one the battle yet. I logged off of NewUser acct and logged back in as me. I didn't see a new profile created for NewUser **Actually, a new profile was made for the new user, it just took several minutes for the new profile to appear**. I did a search on all of drive C for 'Spotify'. I didn't get any hits, and figured Spotify may have an alias when installed. I believe it will just give you access to it via your browser, ?? But I see now Bookmarks, etc in Chrome.

So I'd like to assign my profile to this NewUser. It's really just a one time shot, hopefully - to get Spotify installed, and to put any related files into my profile folder. Then, assuming this works, I'll want to delete this NewUser. But I fear that even if I remove my profile from the new user before deleting him, my profile might be deleted as well.

Sorry so long. Seems like I never have straight forward questions when I post here. I feel I have to give details so you guys know what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks for any/all help.

And Brink, I looked for a Tutorial that covered this and couldn't find one. That shocked me! *Think
    I figure there's probably a post out there that might cover this - sort of... but I couldn't find it.

:)

hooked, Dec 6, 2016
  2. SeanDodd Win User

Merge local child account with Microsoft account?

I tried this but what I'm finding is that local accounts that were converted from Win 7 to 10 do not allow the 'Sign in with a MS account' option.

The link is there, but when selected nothing happens. I have tried changing the accounts from Users to Admin, but still no luck.

The local admin account that was converted cannot even add new accounts. In the end I had to use win + R + control userpasswords2 to add a new Admin which I associated with my MS Account. This admin can add new accounts, but still the existing local user
    accounts cannot be converted.

Is there a way to either 1) convert a local account to use an MS account (from the admin account or registry edit, I'm happy either way), or 2) merge a new MS account based login with the local user account?

The local accounts have a lot of work saved and apps set up that I don't want them to loose.

SeanDodd, Dec 6, 2016
  3. max green Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary, Switch to Local Account

You are already using a login with your gmail account.
    You need to log out of using gmail and you will have the option to use a local account.

You can create a local account, click start, settings, accounts

click "other people"

click [+] add someone else to this pc

Click - I don't have this person's sign-in information

Click - Add a user without a Microsoft account

Type name & password (twice), click next

Then click the new local user you created and change the user

from a standard user to an administrative user.

Click start, you picture and sign out

Then login with the new local user.

max green, Dec 6, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

What i would do is give the temporary new account administrator privileges. Log into it. Change your usual account to standard user. Go back to login into it. Install Spotify on your usual account. Then go back to your temporary account and change your usual account back to an administrator. Then you can delete the temp local account.

BTW: I just installed Spotify on my user account which is the only account on my computer and it is an administrator and Spotify did not complain at all. Did you download the latest version?

NavyLCDR, Dec 7, 2016
  5. hooked Win User
    Yeah, I just downloaded it after going to premium, so I assume it's the latest version. Maybe there's something funky on my laptop. Thanks for the suggestion, but first I'm gonna try to install on my desktop.
    Your idea sounds the safest.

hooked, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Add new user (local account) - Use my profile? - Similar Threads - Add user local

2. Removing Old Microsoft Account On User Profile To Add New Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing Old Microsoft Account On User Profile To Add New Account: Hello,I bought a laptop some time ago from a friend. I was lazy and just used their user profile which is logged into their microsoft account. I want to remove their microsoft account and add my own to the user profile on the laptop. It has a lot of data which I've accrued...
  3. Removing Old Microsoft Account On User Profile To Add New Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing Old Microsoft Account On User Profile To Add New Account: Hello,I bought a laptop some time ago from a friend. I was lazy and just used their user profile which is logged into their microsoft account. I want to remove their microsoft account and add my own to the user profile on the laptop. It has a lot of data which I've accrued...
  4. Removing Old Microsoft Account On User Profile To Add New Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Removing Old Microsoft Account On User Profile To Add New Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Removing Old Microsoft Account On User Profile To Add New Account

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Removing Old Microsoft Account On User Profile To Add New Account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Enable Local Account using Local Users and Groups

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enable Local Account using Local Users and Groups: I've typed lusrmgr.msc into Run, Right click on the name (ex: "user1") I want to disable, and click on Properties. And in the General tab, uncheck the Account is disabled box, and click/tap on OK. But when I click on its properties, the checkbox is check again. No matter how...
  9. Add local user account to family account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Add local user account to family account: I want to add my son’s local account to Family account. He has already created his Microsoft account on his computer and I want to add it to the Family. I changed my administrative account to the adult account but cannot change his account because I receive a message that...
  10. User account with more local profiles

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User account with more local profiles: Hi In Windows 10, a user account can have two or more local profiles? If so, how do I create them and manage them? Thanks Bye 22930