Windows 10: Add or Remove Allow wake timers to Power Options in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Allow wake timers to Power Options in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Allow wake timers to Power Options in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove "Allow wake timers" from Power Options in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add or Remove Allow wake timers to Power Options in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove Allow wake timers to Power Options in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove "Allow wake timers" from Power Options in Windows 10

The Allow wake timers setting in Power Options allows Windows to automatically wake your computer from sleep on a timer for scheduled tasks and other programs. You can set this to be enabled, disabled, or important wake timers only.

A wake timer is a timed event that wakes the PC from hibernate states at a specific time. For example, a task in Task Scheduler set with the "Wake the computer to run this task" check box checked.

Important wake timers are a new class of wake timer in Windows 10 that includes things like reboots after a Windows update that requires one. They supersede all other settings.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Allow wake timers setting under Sleep in Power Options for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove this setting in Power Options.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add or Remove "Allow wake timers" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    • Option Two: Add or Remove "Allow wake timers" in Power Options using REG file

EXAMPLE: "Allow wake timers" in Power Options

Add or Remove Allow wake timers to Power Options in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Add or Remove "Allow wake timers" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    (Add - default)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_SLEEP BD3B718A-0680-4D9D-8AB2-E1D2B4AC806D -ATTRIB_HIDE

OR

(Remove)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_SLEEP BD3B718A-0680-4D9D-8AB2-E1D2B4AC806D +ATTRIB_HIDE
    3. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Add or Remove "Allow wake timers" in Power Options using REG file

*note The downloaded .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\BD3B718A-0680-4D9D-8AB2-E1D2B4AC806D

Attributes DWORD

1 = Remove
    2 = Add

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Allow wake timers" to Power Options
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Allow_wake_timers_to_Power_Options.reg

Download

3. To Remove "Allow wake timers" from Power Options
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Allow_wake_timers_from_Power_Options.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 7, 2016
  2. Randy_845 Win User

No "Allow wake timers" option in advanced power settings

There is no "Allow wake timers" option under "Sleep" (or anywhere) in the advanced power settings. The only option under "Sleep" is "Sleep after". Was this removed in a recent update? Might it be something that a group policy removed? Could it be something
    specific to the Surface Pro 4? I need to be able to disable the wake timers.

Possibly related information: "Allow scheduled maintenance to wake up my computer at the scheduled time" is greyed out in the maintenance settings in the "Security and Maintenance" control panel and the "Schedule a time" radio button in "Restart options"
    in "Settings" is also greyed out (and supposedly off, but I do not know if the setting is honored when there is no option to change the setting).

System details:

Surface Pro 4

Windows 10 Pro 1709 build 16299.192

Moved from: Surface / Surface Pro 4 / Power, battery, and performance

Randy_845, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Why does Power Options -> Sleep -> Allow wake Timers -> Disabled not work?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10. We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

• How do you think that Spotify is causing this issue?
    I suggest you to follow the below step and check if it helps

• Go to device manager.
    • Click on network adapters.
    • Right on the network adapters.
    • Click on power management.
    • Uncheck the option Allow this device to wake this computer.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Oct 26, 2019
  4. JBtje Win User

Why does Power Options -> Sleep -> Allow wake Timers -> Disabled not work?

Hello,

In windows 10, I have set all configurations I can find to prevent windows from waking up from sleep automatically.

I have prevented windows from waking up to maintain (e.g. install updates), but have also set the "Allow wake timers" to "Disable"

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -waketimers

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolumeX\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe expires at 23:51:48 on 24/09/2015.

Reason: generic

I have put my PC to sleep at 23:50, and saw my PC being woken at 23:51:48 even though the wake timers is set to Disable (like seen in this image

click here for image
    )

WHY is a Spotify wake timer being able to wake my PC from sleep !?

JBtje, Oct 26, 2019
  5. No "Allow wake timers" option in advanced power settings

Hi Randy,

Supposedly, the Allow wake timers option is available. If it isn't, it might have been removed due to unknown reasons. Technically, any Windows Update that gets installed on your PC isn't suppose to make any changes, especially to the registry. We suggest that
    you start your PC in safe mode, and then check if the issue persists. Here is an article on how to start your
    PC in safe mode for your reference.

Let us know how it goes.

Patricia Yu, Oct 26, 2019
  6. r0k2 Win User
    Windows wakes up with Wake Timers set to off

Dear Geethu! Really thanks for such fast reply. But!

In other words - you don't know how to get rid of wake events! Did you underastand my question? How exactly your solution is helping in getting rid of wake events?

I do not want to troubleshoot power as I said before, I want Windows not to wake up no matter what is set in Allow Wake Timers setting. I want to turn off Wake Timers for real, once and for all, and forget about them for the rest of my life.

And the question (after applying your solution) still remains: why PC is waking up if Wake Timers are disabled?

Of course your solution is not working.

Thema:

1. Add or Remove Allow wake timers to Power Options in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Allow

2. Enable or Disable Allow wake timers on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable Allow wake timers on Windows 10: If your computer is waking up from Sleep automatically, there is a chance that the Allow wake timers option is enabled. If you want to disable or turn off Allow wake timers on Windows 10, here is a step-by-step guide that will be helpful. Even if you put your computer on...
  3. Wake timers

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake timers: Hey all, i was wondering about the wake timers in windows... my pc has been waking up in the middle of the night because of wake timers, and while i know how to disable them, i was wondering if there could be any adverse effects of doing this? The timers seem to be set by...
  4. Add Allow system required policy to Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Allow system required policy to Power Options in Windows: How to: Add Allow system required policy to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Allow system required policy" from Power Options in Windows The sleep automatically. This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Allow system required policy setting...
  5. Add or Remove Allow Away Mode Policy from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Allow Away Mode Policy from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Allow Away Mode Policy from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Allow Away Mode Policy" from Power Options in Windows Away Mode does the following when invoked: Shuts down the video signal at the port Mutes all system audio Blocks HID...
  6. Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Power button action" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options lets users specify the default action to take when the system hardware power button on the PC is pressed....
  7. View Wake Timers in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    View Wake Timers in Windows 10: How to: View Wake Timers in Windows 10 How to View Active Wake Timers in Windows 10 [img] Information A wake timer is a timed event that wakes the PC from hibernate states at a specific time. For example, a task in Task Scheduler set with the "Wake the computer to run...
  8. Add Allow display required policy to Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Allow display required policy to Power Options in Windows: How to: Add Allow display required policy to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Allow display required policy" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options allows users to specify whether Windows allows applications to temporarily prevent the display from...
  9. Add or Remove Internet Explorer Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Internet Explorer Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Internet Explorer Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove Internet Explorer from Power Options in Windows The JavaScript Timer Frequency setting under the Internet Explorer power option can slow down the java script animations and execution...
  10. Add Allow sleep with remote opens to Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Allow sleep with remote opens to Power Options in Windows: How to: Add Allow sleep with remote opens to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Allow sleep with remote opens" from Power Options in Windows The Allow sleep with Remote Opens power setting configures the network file system to prevent the computer from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. allow wake timers create dword hkey

2. win 10 allow wake timers option

3. wake timers option reg key