Windows 10: Add or Remove Allowed Apps through Windows Firewall in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Allowed Apps through Windows Firewall in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Allowed Apps through Windows Firewall in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 build 16193, Windows Firewall... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by rmzns, Nov 27, 2017.

1. rmzns Win User

Add or Remove Allowed Apps through Windows Firewall in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove Allowed Apps through Windows Firewall in Windows 10

Add or Remove Allowed Apps through Windows Firewall in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Starting with Windows 10 build 16193, Windows Firewall has been renamed to Windows Defender Firewall.

Windows Firewall can help prevent hackers or malicious software from gaining access to your PC through the Internet or a network.

Sometimes you may need to allow an app through Windows Firewall. When you allow an app to communicate though the firewall, it's called adding an exception or rule.

Usually this will happen automatically. Windows will automatically create exceptions for its own system services and apps. When you install a new app that wants to communicate through the firewall, Windows will prompt you to allow access for it to do so.

You may also want or need to create an exception manually to allow an app to communicate through the firewall.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to manually remove or add apps to be allowed through Windows Firewall in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to remove or add allowed apps through Windows Firewall.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Allow App through Windows Defender Firewall in Windows Security Alert
    • Option Two: To Allow App through Windows Defender Firewall in Windows Firewall Settings
    • Option Three: To Remove Allowed App in Windows Defender Firewall Settings
    • Option Four: To Allow App through Windows Defender Firewall in Command Prompt
    • Option Five: To Remove Allowed App in Command Prompt
    • Option Six: To Allow App through Windows Defender Firewall in PowerShell
    • Option Seven: To Remove Allowed App in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] To Allow App through Windows Defender Firewall in Windows Security Alert
    1. If prompted by Windows Security Alert, select (check) the network locations (ex: private or public) you want to allow for the app (ex: "Google Chrome"), and click/tap on Allow access to add a rule for the app to allow it through Windows Firewall.

Note If you do not want to allow the app through Windows Firewall, then click/tap on Cancel or close the Windows Security Alert window instead.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Allow App through Windows Defender Firewall in Windows Firewall Settings
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Windows Firewall icon.

2. Click/tap on the Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. If this is the first time opening "Allowed apps" while signed in to Windows, then you will need to click/tap on the Change settings button for the settings to no longer be grayed out. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Allow another app button. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Browse button. (see screenshot below)

6. Navigate to and select the app (ex: "chrome.exe") you want to allow through Windows Firewall, and click/tap on Open. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on the Network types button. (see screenshot below)

8. Select (check) the network locations (ex: private or public) you want to allow for the app (ex: "Google Chrome"), and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

9. Click/tap on the Add button. (see screenshot below)

10. The app (ex: "Google Chrome") has now been added as a rule to be allowed through Windows Firewall. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

11. You can now close Windows Firewall settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Remove Allowed App in Windows Defender Firewall Settings
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Windows Firewall icon.

2. Click/tap on the Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. If this is the first time opening "Allowed apps" while signed in to Windows, then you will need to click/tap on the Change settings button for the settings to no longer be grayed out. (see screenshot below)

4. Select (highlight) the app (ex: "Google Chrome") rule you want to remove, and click/tap on the Remove button. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

6. The app (ex: "Google Chrome") has now been removed as a rule. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

7. You can now close Windows Firewall settings if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Allow App through Windows Defender Firewall in Command Prompt

Note To see more usage options for the Netsh AdvFirewall Firewall add rule command, see: Netsh AdvFirewall Firewall Commands - Microsoft Docs

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Enter the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    (Allow app)
    *Arrow netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="app name" dir=in action=allow program="Full path of .exe" enable=yes

OR

(Block app)
    *Arrow netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="app name" dir=in action=block program="Full path of .exe" enable=yes

Note Substitute app name in the command above with the actual name of the app (ex: "Google Chrome").

Substitute Full path of .exe in the command above with the actual full path to the .exe file (ex: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe") of the app.

For example:
    Code:

3. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Remove Allowed App in Command Prompt

Note To see more usage options for the Netsh AdvFirewall Firewall delete rule command, see: Netsh AdvFirewall Firewall Commands - Microsoft Docs

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow netsh advfirewall firewall show rule name=all >"%UserProfile%\Desktop\WindowsFirewallRules.txt"

3. You will now have a WindowsFirewallRules.txt file saved to your desktop containing a list of all Windows Firewall rules.

4. Open the WindowsFirewallRules.txt file, and make note of the Rule Name (ex: "Google Chrome") of the app you want to remove all rules for. (see screenshot below)

5. Enter the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow netsh advfirewall firewall Delete rule name="Rule Name"

Note Substitute Rule Name in the command above with the actual rule name (ex: "Google Chrome") you want to remove from step 4 above.

For example: netsh advfirewall firewall Delete rule name="Google Chrome"

6. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION SIX [/i] To Allow App through Windows Defender Firewall in PowerShell

Note To see more usage options for the New-NetFirewallRule command, see: New-NetFirewallRule - Microsoft Docs

1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Enter the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    (Allow app)
    *Arrow New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "app name" -Direction Inbound -Program "Full path of .exe" -Action Allow

OR

(Block app)
    *Arrow New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "app name" -Direction Inbound -Program "Full path of .exe" -Action Block

Note Substitute app name in the command above with the actual name of the app (ex: "Google Chrome").

Substitute Full path of .exe in the command above with the actual full path to the .exe file (ex: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe") of the app.

For example:
    Code:

3. When finished, you can close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

OPTION SEVEN [/i] To Remove Allowed App in PowerShell

Note To see more usage options for the Remove-NetFirewallRule command, see: Remove-NetFirewallRule - Microsoft Docs

1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Enter the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Show-NetFirewallRule | Out-File "$env:userprofile\Desktop\WindowsFirewallRules.txt"

3. You will now have a WindowsFirewallRules.txt file saved to your desktop containing a list of all Windows Firewall rules.

4. Open the WindowsFirewallRules.txt file, and make note of the DisplayName (ex: "Google Chrome") of the app you want to remove all rules for. (see screenshot below)

5. Enter the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Remove-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DisplayName"

Note Substitute DisplayName in the command above with the actual rule name (ex: "Google Chrome") you want to remove from step 4 above.

For example: Remove-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "Google Chrome"

6. When finished, you can close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

rmzns, Nov 27, 2017
  2. Jsssssssss, Nov 27, 2017
  3. Can't add windows 10 store apps to firewall settings (allow an app through firewall).

The apps use to appear on the list of apps allowed through the windows firewall but I reset the firewall settings and the apps were removed. Now there is not way to add the windows store apps back because you have to point to their .exe files which are hidden/encrypted.
    Is there a way to add them back the list of allowed apps through the firewall?

[Moved from: Windows / Apps on Windows 10 / Xbox on Windows]

Joeggernaut, Nov 27, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello nrmzns, welcome to TenForums!

To see the remove button make sure you are signed in as an administrator and have clicked on the change settings button. To check if you are an administrator use the following tutorial: Determine Account Type in Windows 10

philc43, Nov 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Allowed Apps through Windows Firewall in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Allowed

2. Allow an app through firewall is grayed out.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Allow an app through firewall is grayed out.: I am trying to allow an app through my firewall but when I go to the settings the options are all grayed out and I can't figure out why. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/allow-an-app-through-firewall-is-grayed-out/d47ccb51-c94f-4218-9e7e-393ce15aa1ca
  3. Allow an app through firewall is grayed out.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Allow an app through firewall is grayed out.: I am trying to allow an app through my firewall but when I go to the settings the options are all grayed out and I can't figure out why. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/allow-an-app-through-firewall-is-grayed-out/d47ccb51-c94f-4218-9e7e-393ce15aa1ca
  4. Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.: I can't allow applications through firewall in the Window Defender Firewall even though I logged in as an Administrator. I have tried changing the group policies and resetting to default firewall settings. I do not have third party anti-virus software or firewall software....
  5. Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.: I can't allow applications through firewall in the Window Defender Firewall even though I logged in as an Administrator. I have tried changing the group policies and resetting to default firewall settings. I do not have third party anti-virus software or firewall software....
  6. Allow apps to communicate through windows defender firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Allow apps to communicate through windows defender firewall: Hi,Can someone clarify something for me as simply as possible ?Can I disable WLAN Service- WFD application services Platform Coordination Protocol and WLAN Service- WFD Services Keenel Mode Driver Rules from “list of allowed apps to communicate through Windows defender...
  7. Why cant I allow an app through Windows Firewall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why cant I allow an app through Windows Firewall: [IMG] I can't click on " Change settings" I'm singed in as the built in Administrator account. https://preview.redd.it/z9hgjdzl2vv41.png?width=1124&format=png&auto=webp&s=625170b840eaf6847a4ec84676f0f52b0a220a08 submitted by /u/woubulbus [link] [comments]...
  8. allowing a webpage through firewall

allowing a webpage through firewall: I am trying to access a webpage and do not know how to allow it through either my Chrome firewall or my Bitdefender. Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings....
  9. Allowing an app through Windows 1o firewall

Allowing an app through Windows 1o firewall: Everytime I start an app I have to go into Windows firewall and find the listing of the app (it creates a new entry for the app everytime I start the app so there are now dozens of them) and manually change the permissions. I then need to stop the app and started it again,...
  10. Allow Ports access through Windows Firewall.

Allow Ports access through Windows Firewall.: Hello, I have several ports that need to be open for the uses of software, but the thing is, i dont know how to do through windows firewall and that ports number are TCP OR UDP? Kindly someone can help me with this? Port number is 442 443 48009 48100 48101 48102...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. add an allowed thread wqindows 10