Windows 10: Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows

Discus and support Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 15, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows

How to: Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows

How to Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows

The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor), and click/tap on Open, Save as, Import, or Export.

The older Windows XP style common open file dialog box has a Back button to the right of the address bar that can be used to go to the last folder visited.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Back button in the common open file dialog box for all or specific users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to add or remove the Back button in the common open file dialog box.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box for All or Specific Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Back button in common open file dialog box

Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box for All or Specific Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    *note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, File Explorer, and Common Open File Dialog. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Common Open File Dialog, double click/tap on the Hide the common dialog back button policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (add) or step 6 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Add Back Button to Common Dialog Box
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Remove Back Button from Common Dialog Box
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. You can now close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box for All Users using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Comdlg32

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Comdlg32

NoBackButton DWORD

(delete) = Add
    1 = Remove

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add Back Button to Common Dialog Box for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_common_dialog_box_back_button_for_all_users.reg

Download

3. To Remove Back Button from Common Dialog Box for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_common_dialog_box_back_button_for_all_users.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 15, 2018
  2. David Haz Win User

Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working

Hello,

If the Open and Save As dialog boxes are not appearing, there might be a process or service that is conflicting with that function of Windows. We recommend that you perform a clean boot of Windows. This would aid eliminate software conflicts that occur when
    using Windows.

Note: Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when performing a clean boot. If you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original issue.

Here's how to perform a clean boot environment in Windows 10:

• Press the Start button, then type msconfig, and select
      System Configuration from the search results.
    • On the Services tab of the System Configuration
      dialog box, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, then select
      Disable all.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration
      dialog box, click Open Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click
      Disable.
    • Close Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration
      dialog box, click OK, and then restart your computer.

After performing a clean boot environment of Windows, see if the Open
    and Save As dialog boxes work as they should be. If it works, then you may follow the steps below on how to determine what is causing the problem while in a clean boot environment:

• Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
    • From Start. search for msconfig, then select
      msconfig or System Configuration from the search results.
    • Click the Services tab, and then click to select the
      Hide all Microsoft services
      check box.
    • Click to select the upper half of the check boxes in the Service list.
    • Click OK, and then click Restart.
    • After the computer finishes restarting, determine whether the problem still occurs.
      • If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 1 through
        , but clear the lower half of the check boxes in the Service
        list that you originally selected.
      • If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 1 through
        , and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
        Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
      • If you still experience the problem when only one service is selected in the
        Service
        list, this means that the selected service causes the problem, and you should go to step
        10. If no service causes the problem, go to step 7.
    • Repeat steps 1 and 2 in this section.
    • Click the Startup tab, then click to select the upper half of the check boxes in the
      Startup Item list.
    • Click OK, and then click Restart.
      • If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 7 and 8, but clear the lower half of the checked boxes in the
        Startup Item list that you originally selected.
      • If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 7 and 8, and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
        Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
      • If you still experience the problem after only one Startup Item
        is selected in the Startup Item list, this means that the selected
        Startup Item causes the problem, and you should go to step
      • If no Startup Item causes the problem, a Microsoft service probably causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat steps
        1 through 6 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services
        check box in each step.
    • After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the
      System Configuration utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.

If you need further assistance, feel free to ask us.

If you think this was useful, feel free to mark it as an answer to help those who are facing the same problem.

David Haz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. External HardDrive Problem (please help Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows :( )

Try this:

1) Insert your flash/external drive into the USB port.

2) When you see the AutoPlay dialog box, click Cancel.

3) Open My Computer, right-click your flash drive icon, and select Properties.

4)In the Properties dialog box, select the AutoPlay tab.

5) Perform the following steps for each item in the Content Type drop-down list:
    > Select an item in the Content Type drop-down list.
    > Choose Select An Action To Perform in the Actions panel.
    > Select the Open Folder To View Files In Windows Explorer action.
    > Click the Apply button.
    > Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.

Now use the Safely Remove Hardware feature to remove your flash drive — wait a moment and plug it back in. You’ll see the AutoPlay progress appear momentarily, and then you should see Windows Explorer open to show the contents of the flash drive.

thoughtdisorder, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows

Lost Recycle Bin in Windows 10

Hello,

We highly suggest to follow the steps below:

• Click the Start button , type desktop icons into the search box, and then click Show or hide common icons on the desktop.
    • In the Desktop Icon Settings dialog box, do one of the following: To hide the Recycle Bin, clear the Recycle Bin check box. ...
    • Click OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Trixie Mop, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Dialog Boxes constantly flash on and off

Hi,

To check Windows 10 Build version you may follow the steps below:

• Win + R. Open up the run command with the Win + R key combo.
    • Launch winver. Simply type in winver into the run command text box and hit OK. That is it. You should now see a dialog screen revealing the OS build and registration information.
    Thank you.

Karina Aris, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Alvan Z Win User
    run cmd files should show modal or modeless dialog boxes?

I noticed odd behaviour with the "open file security warning" dialog box, but it can happen to other dialog boxes as well.

Here are the steps to reproduce:

1. Create a .cmd file in which you call a 'blocked' installer with a dialog box.
    2. If you just Run the cmd-file, you will get the "open file security warning" in a modal dialog box, which is a good thing, I think: The user will always see the dialog box. But if you Run as administrator, the dialog boxes are shown in a modeless state.
      In this way the dialog boxes can be in the background and the user can wait forever, because it is possible he/she doesn't notice the dialog box (behind the command prompt).

Is this wanted behaviour or is this a bug?

BTW I am using Windows 10 1809 (Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.805])

Alvan Z, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows

1. Add or Remove Back Button in Common Dialog Box in Windows - Similar Threads - Add Remove Button

2. Floating button/dialog box issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Floating button/dialog box issue: HI,This item has appeared on Microsoft Word a few times. I can not perform any other actions while it is there. I can not exit or save documents. The only way to get rid of it is to end task in the task manager risking losing my work. Why does this happen and how can I get...
  3. Floating button/dialog box issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Floating button/dialog box issue: HI,This item has appeared on Microsoft Word a few times. I can not perform any other actions while it is there. I can not exit or save documents. The only way to get rid of it is to end task in the task manager risking losing my work. Why does this happen and how can I get...
  4. Change folders displayed in common dialog boxes

in Windows 10 Support
    Change folders displayed in common dialog boxes: Win10Pro64 v2004. Greetings... I've just finished the build of a new PC, and I'm bothered by the large number of useless folders that are displayed in the left pane of open and save dialog boxes. I'm attaching a screenshot of what I see. I'm hoping for advice about how to...
  5. Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window

in Windows 10 Customization
    Replace Common Item Dialog with legacy Common File Dialog window: I know this can be done and I do recall back in 2017 I was reading about this. However there is no possibility to know where exactly I found this two years back. Just like title says, I want to replace common CIDs used post-Vista to open / browse / save file with older...
  6. No "yes" button in UAC dialog box

in Windows 10 Customization
    No "yes" button in UAC dialog box: Why does user acct. dialog box not have a "yes" choice any more? I've not mad any changes to my computer other than regular updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-yes-button-in-uac-dialog-box/ef7fd81b-23cb-4d6b-94da-bebe1a79e54c
  7. Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Change Places Bar Items in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor), and...
  8. Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows How to Enable or Disable Places Bar in Common Dialog Box in Windows The common open file dialog box is the window that opens when you click/tap on File (menu bar) in a program (ex: Registry Editor),...
  9. Add or Remove Submit Button in Search Box in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Submit Button in Search Box in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Submit Button in Search Box in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Submit Button in Search Box in Windows 10 Searching from your taskbar makes it easier for you to search the web and Windows. Starting with Windows 10 build 14946, you can add or...
  10. Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows: How to: Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes in Windows How to Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes to Default in Windows [img] Information Starting with Windows Vista, the Common Item Dialog (CID) supersedes the older Common File Dialog when...