Windows 10: Add or Remove Dimmed display brightness from Power Options in Windows

Discus and support Add or Remove Dimmed display brightness from Power Options in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Dimmed display brightness from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Dimmed display brightness" from Power Options in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add or Remove Dimmed display brightness from Power Options in Windows

How to: Add or Remove Dimmed display brightness from Power Options in Windows

How to Add or Remove "Dimmed display brightness" from Power Options in Windows

The dim display after idle timeout has been reached. This setting applies only to portable computers (ex: laptop or tablet) that support Windows control of the brightness level of an integrated display device.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Dimmed display brightness setting under Display in Power Options for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove this setting in Power Options.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add or Remove "Dimmed display brightness" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    • Option Two: Add or Remove "Dimmed display brightness" in Power Options using REG file

EXAMPLE: "Dimmed display brightness" in Power Options

Add or Remove Dimmed display brightness from Power Options in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Add or Remove "Dimmed display brightness" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    (Add)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_VIDEO f1fbfde2-a960-4165-9f88-50667911ce96 -ATTRIB_HIDE

OR

(Remove - default)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_VIDEO f1fbfde2-a960-4165-9f88-50667911ce96 +ATTRIB_HIDE
    3. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Add or Remove "Dimmed display brightness" in Power Options using REG file

*note The downloaded .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99\f1fbfde2-a960-4165-9f88-50667911ce96

Attributes DWORD

1 = Remove
    2 = Add

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Dimmed display brightness" to Power Options
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Dimmed_display_brightness_to_Power_Options.reg

Download

3. To Remove "Dimmed display brightness" from Power Options
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Dimmed_display_brightness_from_Power_Options.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 28, 2017
  2. Brink Win User

Add or Remove Display brightness from Power Options in Windows  

I'm afraid that the display brightness setting now applies to both on battery and AC equally now. No separation. :-(

*Arrow Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. SteveB_85 Win User
    Display dims on battery power

No problem!

If you go back to the Edit Plan Settings page and click on 'Change advanced power settings', then scroll down in the advanced settings box to Display. In the Display settings there is 'Dimmed display brightness' and 'Enable adaptive brightness', try turning
    adaptive brightness off if enabled and also increasing the dimmed brightness level.

Please let me know if that makes any difference.

SteveB_85, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Add or Remove Dimmed display brightness from Power Options in Windows

No matter how many settings I tweak, I cannot get the display on my laptop to remain bright if I unplug it. It dims to an unacceptable level Any suggestions on how to fix this would be welcomed. Thanks

SteveLoudon, Oct 27, 2019
  5. SteveB_85 Win User

Hi there! My name is Steve. I'm an Independent Advisor and a Windows user like you. I'm happy to help with your query.

That sounds very frustrating and not at all ideal if the screen is too dim! Please give the following steps a go to fix this:

1. Click on the Start menu, type "Control Panel", and select the Control Panel app

2. In Control Panel click on Power Options

3. In the Power Options menu you will see the currently selected power plan, click 'Change plan settings' to the right of the selected plan

4. In the settings menu you will see 'Adjust plan brightness' for both On Battery and Plugged in, here you can turn up the brightness level of the display when you change onto battery power

5. Don't forget to click Save changes!

I hope this helps, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

SteveB_85, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Brightness control not working

Hi,

My name is Angel. I am an Independent Advisor. Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow these steps:

1. Go into "Control Panel" and then "Power Options".

2. Click the "Change plan settings" link next to which ever plan you are currently using and then click "Change advance power settings".

3. In this new window click "Display" to open up the listings under it.

4. Now locate and click each of the following..."Display brightness", "Dimmed display brightness" and"Enable adaptive brightness".

5. Change each of these to the settings you wish, then click the "Apply" button and finally the "OK" button.

6. You should be good.

Hope the information provided is useful. If the issue persists, reply here and we will be glad to help you.

Angel.

AngelCarreno, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Add or Remove Dimmed display brightness from Power Options in Windows

1. Add or Remove Dimmed display brightness from Power Options in Windows - Similar Threads - Add Remove Dimmed

2. Display dims on battery power

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display dims on battery power: No matter how many settings I tweak, I cannot get the display on my laptop to remain bright if I unplug it. It dims to an unacceptable level Any suggestions on how to fix this would be welcomed. Thanks...
  3. Add or Remove Hibernate after from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Hibernate after from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Hibernate after from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Hibernate after" from Power Options in Windows The hibernating. *note If you disable hibernate, the Hibernate after setting in Power Options will not be available. This...
  4. Add or Remove Sleep after from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Sleep after from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Sleep after from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Sleep after" from Power Options in Windows The sleep. This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Sleep after setting under Sleep in Power Options for all users in Windows 7,...
  5. Add or Remove Adaptive display from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Adaptive display from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Adaptive display from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Adaptive display" from Power Options in Windows The turn off the display if you repeatedly turn on the display with the keyboard or mouse. If the user provides input to the...
  6. Add or Remove Dim display after from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Dim display after from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Dim display after from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Dim display after" from Power Options in Windows The Dim display after setting in Power Options allows users to specify how long in minutes your computer is inactive before the...
  7. Add or Remove Display brightness from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Display brightness from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Display brightness from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Display brightness" from Power Options in Windows [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with at least Windows 10 version 1809. If you have a laptop or...
  8. Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Power button action" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options lets users specify the default action to take when the system hardware power button on the PC is pressed....
  9. Remove 'Enable adaptive brightness' from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove 'Enable adaptive brightness' from Power Options in Windows: How to: Remove 'Enable adaptive brightness' from Power Options in Windows Add or Remove 'Enable adaptive brightness' from Power Options in Windows Displays (especially on laptops and tablets) may utilize ambient light sensors to detect surrounding levels of light....
  10. Add or Remove 'Turn off Display after' in Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove 'Turn off Display after' in Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove 'Turn off Display after' in Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove 'Turn off Display after' from Power Options in Windows The Power Options let's users specify how long the PC is inactive before all connected displays are turned off...