Windows 10: Add or Remove Display brightness from Power Options in Windows

Discus and support Add or Remove Display brightness from Power Options in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Display brightness from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Display brightness" from Power Options in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add or Remove Display brightness from Power Options in Windows

How to: Add or Remove Display brightness from Power Options in Windows

How to Add or Remove "Display brightness" from Power Options in Windows

Add or Remove Display brightness from Power Options in Windows [​IMG]
    Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with at least Windows 10 version 1809.

If you have a laptop or tablet, you might need to occasionally change the screen brightness. For example, if you want to use your laptop outdoors on a sunny day, you might need a brighter screen to see the display clearly. Or, if you're in a dark room, you might want to make the screen less bright.

A brighter display uses more power, which reduces battery life.

The Power Options let's users specify the default display brightness level. This setting applies only to portable computers that support Windows control of the brightness level of an integrated display device.

"Display brightness" had been removed from Power Options by default starting with Windows 10 build 17639.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Display brightness setting under Display in Power Options for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove this setting in Power Options.

*note This will not affect users from being able to change the display brightness using other methods.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add or Remove "Display brightness" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    • Option Two: Add or Remove "Display brightness" in Power Options using REG file

EXAMPLE: "Display brightness" in Power Options

Add or Remove Display brightness from Power Options in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Add or Remove "Display brightness" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    (Add - default)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_VIDEO aded5e82-b909-4619-9949-f5d71dac0bcb -ATTRIB_HIDE

OR

(Remove)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_VIDEO aded5e82-b909-4619-9949-f5d71dac0bcb +ATTRIB_HIDE
    3. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Add or Remove "Display brightness" in Power Options using REG file

*note The downloaded .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99\aded5e82-b909-4619-9949-f5d71dac0bcb

Attributes DWORD

1 = Remove
    2 = Add

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Display brightness" to Power Options
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Display_brightness_to_Power_Options.reg

Download

3. To Remove "Display brightness" from Power Options
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Display_brightness_from_Power_Options.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 27, 2017
  2. Brink Win User

I'm afraid that the display brightness setting now applies to both on battery and AC equally now. No separation. :-(

*Arrow Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. No brightness control bar is display settings

Thank you for answering the questions. Can you describe to us what you are seeing in the display section? Also, as our initial troubleshooting step, you may try adjusting the screen brightness by going to Power Options. Kindly follow the steps below to check
    this.

• Press Windows key and type "power options".
    • Select Power Options from the results.
    • On the bottom part of the window, you will see the screen brightness slider.

Let us know how that turned out for you.

Dennis Mop, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Add or Remove Display brightness from Power Options in Windows

I can't get ClickMonitorDCC to work, and even if I could, I don't think that'd solve this for me - I also want option 7 back (brightness changing on power vs. on battery). It's crazy that this feature has been removed.

I'm definitely not a smart Windows modder guy, but if someone can figure out a workaround or a way to get it back, it'd be awesome. My set up was 50% brightness on battery and 100% on charge, but I just can't find a way to replicate that now that brightness options are gone from advanced power plan settings.

GreyWasMyFriend, Oct 27, 2019
  5. rlee123 Win User
    Missing Adjust Screen Brightness slider in Power Options

My HP laptop performed a Windows Update today. As a result, I've lost my "Adjust Screen Brightness" slider in Power Options. I can still find it in Settings - Display.

I have Win 10. I've found a YouTube video (specifically for Win 7) that suggests going to Device Manager - Monitors - Properties - Uninstall Device, but I've also read that doing so will merely result in the same driver being reinstalled.

What should I do to get the "Adjust Screen Brightness" slider back in Power Options?

Thanks so much for your help.

rlee123, Oct 27, 2019
  6. John Sarc Win User
    Brightness Control not working in Windows 10

Hi Ella,

To adjust the brightness, see the steps below:

• Go back to Power Options, and tick on the High performance.
    • See if you can adjust the brightness.

If this not work, we highly suggest that you create an Administrator account, and re-do the steps above.

Let us know how it goes.

John Sarc, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Display brightness from Power Options in Windows - Similar Threads - Add Remove Display

2. Add or Remove Hibernate after from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Hibernate after from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Hibernate after from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Hibernate after" from Power Options in Windows The hibernating. *note If you disable hibernate, the Hibernate after setting in Power Options will not be available. This...
  3. Add or Remove Sleep after from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Sleep after from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Sleep after from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Sleep after" from Power Options in Windows The sleep. This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Sleep after setting under Sleep in Power Options for all users in Windows 7,...
  4. Add or Remove Adaptive display from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Adaptive display from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Adaptive display from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Adaptive display" from Power Options in Windows The turn off the display if you repeatedly turn on the display with the keyboard or mouse. If the user provides input to the...
  5. Add or Remove Dimmed display brightness from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Dimmed display brightness from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Dimmed display brightness from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Dimmed display brightness" from Power Options in Windows The dim display after idle timeout has been reached. This setting applies only to portable computers (ex: laptop...
  6. Add or Remove Dim display after from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Dim display after from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Dim display after from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Dim display after" from Power Options in Windows The Dim display after setting in Power Options allows users to specify how long in minutes your computer is inactive before the...
  7. Add or Remove System cooling policy from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove System cooling policy from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove System cooling policy from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "System cooling policy" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options allows users to specify an active or passive cooling mode for the system. System Cooling Policy...
  8. Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Power button action" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options lets users specify the default action to take when the system hardware power button on the PC is pressed....
  9. Remove 'Enable adaptive brightness' from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove 'Enable adaptive brightness' from Power Options in Windows: How to: Remove 'Enable adaptive brightness' from Power Options in Windows Add or Remove 'Enable adaptive brightness' from Power Options in Windows Displays (especially on laptops and tablets) may utilize ambient light sensors to detect surrounding levels of light....
  10. Add or Remove 'Turn off Display after' in Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove 'Turn off Display after' in Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove 'Turn off Display after' in Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove 'Turn off Display after' from Power Options in Windows The Power Options let's users specify how long the PC is inactive before all connected displays are turned off...