Windows 10: Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows

Discus and support Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows How to Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 22, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows

How to: Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows

How to Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows

By default, Windows uses drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop.

Depending on if your desktop background is light or dark, using drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop may make reading the icon label easier or harder.

If harder, then you can turn off use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop to remove the drop shadows.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Visual Effects Performance Options
    • Option Two: Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Drop shadows on icon labels on the desktop

Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Visual Effects Performance Options
    1 Press the Win + R keys to open Run, type SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe into Run, and click/tap on OK to directly open to the Visual Effects tab in Performance Options

2 Check (add - default) or uncheck (remove) Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

3 If you don't see an immediate change, then you can sign in to apply instead.

If the setting change still didn't get applied, then restart the computer.

OPTION TWO [/i] Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop using a REG file
    The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

ListviewShadow DWORD

0 = Remove
    1 = Add

1 Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop
    This is the default setting.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the REG file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_drop_shadows_for_icon_labels_on_the_desktop.reg

Download

3. To Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the REG file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_drop_shadows_for_icon_labels_on_the_desktop.reg

Download
    4 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7 sign in to apply.

If the setting change still didn't get applied, then restart the computer.

8 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 22, 2018

2. Desktop icon labels have drop shadows

On my Windows 10 Desktop, the text under icons has an unpleasant shadow. I cannot seem to remove the drop shadows. There is a checkbox (in Advance System Settings), and I have carefully unchecked it, and restarted my PC. But the drop shadows under the
    icon labels persist. I was able to get rid of the drop shadows in Windows 7 quite easily. But so far, I can't accomplish the same task in Windows 10. Any help?

SteveChesebrough, Oct 27, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Desktop icon label drop shadows always on after snap windows

Hi, Win 10 pro - can confirm I see that after using Snap. Normal function is restored if you restart explorer via the task manager.

Suggest you report it via the Feedback Hub app e.g.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/drop-s...or-icon-labels
    - gives a relevant registry key; maybe it can be 'fixed' or worked around using that.

I found this tutorial for 8 downwards but there isn't the equivalent here:
    Desktop Icon Labels - Turn Drop Shadows On or Off - Windows 7 Help Forums

dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Linus Win User

Desktop icon label drop shadows always on after snap windows

Thanks for these hints and also for pointing out that the proper name for what I meant was "snap" windows. I changed the thread title appropriately. *Smile
    Will consider making that report and post any results back in this thread.

Linus, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Stephen_C Win User
    Desktop icon labels have drop shadows

This is an ongoing bug which Microsoft appears to be willfully ignoring. It is definitely consistently Task View which causes the problem. Whenever I use Task View the desktop icon labels get ugly drop shadows. The only way to remove them
    is to log off and log on again. This issue has been reported ever since Windows 10 was first released! It has totally put me off using Task View. I would rather do without that than put up with these ugly shadows.

I would like to be able to switch off task view so it isn't activated accidentally by eg. snapping windows to the edge of the screen. Anybody with a suggestion of how to do this?

Otherwise, WHY DOESN'T MICROSOFT FIX THIS BUG??!! How hard can it be?

Stephen_C, Oct 27, 2019
  6. spokey Win User
    Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Visual Effects Performance Options

Is there any update on this?

My wife was complaining about this and I can't seem to get it to work. Just upgraded my latptop from 8.1 to 10 a couple days ago and have the same problem. I tried the change the background to a solid orange (which has worked in the past). I unchecked the system->advance->drop shadow setting. Still nothing. So I downloaded the reg file and ran it. Still have drop shadows. checked the registry entry. Looks like it should work but I still have the shadow and of course can't read the text.

bld 1903

spokey, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop in Windows - Similar Threads - Add Remove Drop

2. The option "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is not showing in the advanced...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The option "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is not showing in the advanced...: Hello everybody.I tried and searched for hours. Couldn't find a thread or a solution in the web for my problem. The issue is as the title says.The ways i tried:1. editing the registry "ListviewShadow" from 1 to 02. searching in the advanced settings for the option "use drop...
  3. The option "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is not showing in the advanced...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The option "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is not showing in the advanced...: Hello everybody.I tried and searched for hours. Couldn't find a thread or a solution in the web for my problem. The issue is as the title says.The ways i tried:1. editing the registry "ListviewShadow" from 1 to 02. searching in the advanced settings for the option "use drop...
  4. cannot turn off drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot turn off drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop: I can't turn off drop shadows for the icons on the desktop. I use sysdm.cpl in the cmd window to bring up "system properties" then "advanced" then uncheck the last check box "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop". This has no effect.I then checked the box, hit...
  5. cannot turn off drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

cannot turn off drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop: I can't turn off drop shadows for the icons on the desktop. I use sysdm.cpl in the cmd window to bring up "system properties" then "advanced" then uncheck the last check box "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop". This has no effect.I then checked the box, hit...
  6. Cannot remove drop shadow on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove drop shadow on desktop icons: Desktop Icons are hard to read. I have tried at least 10 different suggestions on Google. All are different. None worked. Why would have such a wonderful program as Windows 11 and make the icon text blurred with a needless shadow?? Help on this, please?...
  7. Cannot remove drop shadow on desktop icons

Cannot remove drop shadow on desktop icons: Desktop Icons are hard to read. I have tried at least 10 different suggestions on Google. All are different. None worked. Why would have such a wonderful program as Windows 11 and make the icon text blurred with a needless shadow?? Help on this, please?...
  8. Desktop icon labels have drop shadows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icon labels have drop shadows: This morning, when I turned on my computer, the desktop icon labels have drop shadows. I have had them set to not have that since I got my computer. Last night, I shut down my computer via the power button on the computer. Today, I have drop shadows that I cannot get rid of...
  9. Drop shadows on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drop shadows on desktop icons: The inability to stop drop shadows has been going on for far too long. All the Microsoft responses stating the fix as checking the Drop Shadow box is ridiculous. It doesn't stop the problem. I've started to use Virtual Desktop more often and EVERY TIME I switch desktops...
  10. Desktop icon label drop shadows always on after snap windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icon label drop shadows always on after snap windows: wW1TY5jDGrk As shown in this video (you might have to set the quality to 720p), you can switch on and off the drop shadows of your Windows 10 desktop icon labels. However, after using the auto arrange snap window function (drag and drop any window to the left or right...