Windows 10: Add or Remove Google Drive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Google Drive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Yeah, but there's also the icon path that needs to be changed as well. Most people would have installed it to the default location, so I don't mind... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Hockeyfreak, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add or Remove Google Drive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

Yeah, but there's also the icon path that needs to be changed as well.

Most people would have installed it to the default location, so I don't mind creating a custom .reg as needed to make it easy for those that don't know how to do so themselves.

Brink, May 14, 2017
  2. Kbird Win User

I am not sure what the issue ECPC and I have with Applications like Word.Excel.Acrobat etc not being able to use the link from their Open windows , have you looked at that? It works fine if I add the link to Quick Access though....

Kbird, May 14, 2017
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Odd. It's working for me so far like below if that's what you mean. I'm not sure why you're not able to open Google Drive from the navigation pane of an Open window unless you may not have changed all paths in the .reg file.

Add or Remove Google Drive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Brink, May 14, 2017
  4. Kbird Win User

I have not changed the reg file at all , I usually just run it and then just change the one Registry entry per Post #8 , but even after doing that for some reason the Shortcut/Link is still looking in the Default Folder , in my case C:\Users\\Google Drive ( see pic below from Adobe Reader or ECPC's Pic on page 5 I think? ) , so I suspect you are correct and that there is more than One registry Entry to change IF you change the default location of your Google Drive Installation. Weird thing is if you add it to Quick Access it then uses the Registry Entry I changed in Post #8 and it Opens correctly .( same if you add Google Drive as a Library)

Kbird, May 14, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Is that a Google Drive desktop icon instead of in the navigation pane?

If so, then what target does it have on its properties page?

Brink, May 14, 2017
  6. Entropy Win User
    Hello Brink. My answer comes a bit late but no I have not. Google drive is installed on the default path, however, the folder is not at its default location C:\Users\*****\Google Drive.
    However, the symbolic link works fine with me.
    @Kbird indeed I didn’t read beyond the tutorial but now that I did I will replace the symbolic link by changing the registry key.

Thanks guys!

Entropy, May 15, 2017
  7. ECPC Win User
    Brink/ KBird
    Thanks for the continued interest . I pinned GDrive to Quick Access like KBird suggested.
    The properties path for the GDrive in the nav pane AND the path via quick access is the same viz: E:\

Like KBird, - from within Reader, - I can open a .pdf using the GDrive icon in QA, - but not the isolated GDrive icon in the Nav Pane
    The story is different for Word and Excel. I'm using old versions (I'm a pensioner). Sadly neither application displays "quick access" in the "open file" dialogue
    From within either application, - using the isolated GDrive icon I get a message suggesting the path is c:\users\peter\Google Drive

I've searched the registry for mentions of Google drive and c: together but can find nothing
    All a bit barmy really?

8. ECPC Win User

Brink Sorry should have answered your question properly.. It's not a desktop icon, it's the one created by your registry fix and KBird's path Amendment. (Large icon, new system, not all customisation done yet)

9. ECPC Win User
    Kbird, here's an alternative workaround. In Word/Excel, change Tools>options>default file location to E:\
    Then google drive, dropbox, one drive are (or can be) displayed.
    I found I can use the open file dialogue from the google drive icon here

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    For reference, here are the locations in the .reg file that need to be modified if you moved your user profile folder or installed Google Chrome to another location than default.

(To specify icon from where Google Drive is installed at)

(Google Drive folder location in your user profile folder)

(64-bit only. To specify icon from where Google Drive is installed at)

(64-bit only. Google Drive folder location in your user profile folder)

Brink, May 16, 2017
  11. ECPC Win User
    Good afternoon Brink
    Are these the values that i should expect to find, - or how they should appear after my modifications?
    Given that my Google drive should be on E:\ how should the entries appear?

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If this is the full path for your Google Drive folder location, then you should change the TargetFolderPath value in the registry from the screenshots above to E:\Google Drive.

Brink, May 16, 2017
  13. ECPC Win User

Brink
    You're a star
    I have modified "InitPropertyBag" to E:\Google drive and it has done the trick

From within Word & Excel, Google drive now appears "on the desktop" and I have full access to the folder

From within Reader it appears in the Nav Pane

I don't have to use the icon I pinned to quick access

My Registry "Default Icon" was the same value as yours. I Haven't modified it.. should I?

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news.

You would only need to modify the value of the "Default Icon" key if the Google Drive was installed to a different location than the "Program Files" (32-bit) or "Program Files (x86)" (64-bit) default location.

The Google Drive icon showing correctly in your screenshot is confirmation that it's currently correct. If it wasn't, you would see a default folder icon instead.

Brink, May 16, 2017
  15. Kbird Win User
    Ooops sorry Brink for some reason I did not get an email about this post ..... or it went to junk...

In Acrobat,Word (2007 here) etc to find Google Drive you have to click on the Desktop Button yes , as it does not show in My PC (or you can use Libraries to get around the issue by making Google Drive one of you Libraries as I did )

If I use that button from Explorer it works as it should (the properties for the Link show it on E:\ ) but if I use any Open Dialog it uses the Default Location on C:\ Drive for some reason?

Kbird, May 16, 2017
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Google Drive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Google

2. How to add Google Drive to File Explorer Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to add Google Drive to File Explorer Navigation Pane in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you have installed Google Drive on your computer, then you can add Google Drive link to the Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows […] This article How to add Google Drive to File Explorer Navigation Pane in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  3. Add or Remove Linux from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Linux from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Linux from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Linux in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line tools directly...
  4. add google drive to navigation pane

in Windows 10 Support
    add google drive to navigation pane: how to add google drive to navigation pane 55775
  5. Add or Remove Dropbox from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Dropbox from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Dropbox from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Dropbox in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 Dropbox is a file hosting service operated by American company Dropbox, Inc. that offers cloud storage, file synchronization,...
  6. Add or Remove Homegroup from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Homegroup from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Homegroup from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 [img] Information A homegroup is a group of PCs on a home network that can share devices (such as printers), and libraries (such as your Documents, Pictures, Music, and Video libraries). Using a homegroup...
  7. Add or Remove Network from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Network from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Network from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Network in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you how to add or remove Network in the navigation pane of File Explorer for all users in Windows 10....
  8. Add or Remove Favorites from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Favorites from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Favorites from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Favorites in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information Favorites in the navigation pane is a way to easily access items in your %UserProfile%/Links folder....
  9. Add or Remove Duplicate Drives in Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Duplicate Drives in Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Duplicate Drives in Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Duplicate Drives in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information By default, all removable drives are shown separately in the navigation pane of File...
  10. Add or Remove OneDrive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove OneDrive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove OneDrive from Navigation Pane in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove OneDrive in Navigation Pane of File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, you can easily save your files to OneDrive and get to them from any device, like your PC,...